Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: old lucasarts games  (Read 37128 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
old lucasarts games
« on: June 12, 2003, 10:11:28 AM »

I don't know if you have played all lucasarts adventure games, but now is the time to do so. There is a tool called scummvm which is an opensource (GPL) interprenter for all the scumm games (and 3 non-scumm games - Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, beneath a steel sky) at www.scummvm.org. With it I played for the first time the loom cd version which has excellent speech! :) I have to add that scummvm can run in almost any OS you can think (even on palms). So you can play the first three monkeys (the fourth is not a scummvm game but an GrimE game) in your beos for example..  ;D

Oh... I forget... one week ago I bought the new lucasarts entertainment pack, and I am playing Sam 'n Max with speech for the first time and it's great (now I have "The dig" and "Full throttle" in two original packs!)

PS. There are interprenters for Sierra's old AGI and SCI games... If someone is interested into those, just ask and I'll give you the links.
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re:old lucasarts games
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 11:51:00 AM »

I don't know if you have played all lucasarts adventure games, but now is the time to do so.

Hehe, ScummVM is a great tool for porting the games, that's right. And it's even good for playing them on current PCs - I could not play my good old DOTT CD anymore and for some reasons I had problems playing it with VDMSound etc. ! But ScummVM did it. Did you notice these nice "smoothing" effects you can adjust ? (Anyway I turned them off - I want the original pixels! ;) !)

Hm, I'm not sure about the newer Lucasart/Lucasgames adventures (there was some new Indy game, eh ? Don't know if it's an adventure though!), but I guess I played all classic adventures up to MI4. Oh, but I did not finish Loom as far as I remember...
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 12:24:20 PM »

But ScummVM did it. Did you notice these nice "smoothing" effects you can adjust ? (Anyway I turned them off - I want the original pixels!  !)

Well... the original 320x240 (or 320x200 for very old scumm v1 games) looks really weird on my 19inch monitor..... Did you know that those filters are from the mame project? That's the good with opesource projects... it's legal to use the code someone else has written.

Hm, I'm not sure about the newer Lucasart/Lucasgames adventures (there was some new Indy game, eh ? Don't know if it's an adventure though!), but I guess I played all classic adventures up to MI4. Oh, but I did not finish Loom as far as I remember...

The last 2 Indy games are action games (like Tomb Raider). You should really play Loom to the end... it's a fantastic game! Especially the cd version which has 256 color graphics and full-speech.

For anyone that don't know, here is a list with all lucasarts games :
Maniac mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien MindBenders
Loom
Monkey Island 1,2,3,4
Indiana Jones 3,4
Day of the Tentacle
Sam n' Max
The dig
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

I suggest to anyone that haven't played those games to try them.... And we are waiting for Full Throttle 2 and Sam n' Max 2. Both games are going to have some action sequences but I hope/wish they won't be too much (Full Throttle had a few action sequences too, and it didn't bother me since the game is fantastic.... but really easy...).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 12:26:59 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 03:17:24 PM »

The last 2 Indy games are action games (like Tomb Raider). You should really play Loom to the end... it's a fantastic game! Especially the cd version which has 256 color graphics and full-speech.
Full speech ? Well - I played Loom on my good old Amiga, I'm not even sure, maybe I HAVE Loom, I bought a lucasgames classics collection, too - but that was before MI3... but anyway Loom could be in there. Actually I'm quite sure I bought it and never opened the pack...

Oh, and I didn't finish Grim Fandango yet, a friend is currently playing it and I didn't have the time to play it yet. Did you play it ? It already used that new MI4 engine, didn't it ? I didn't like it too much, but I guess it's not as bad as most people said when you get used to the controls.

I almost forgot about Indy 3... gee... I'm searching for this pack now! :)
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 03:40:32 PM »

Full speech ? Well - I played Loom on my good old Amiga, I'm not even sure, maybe I HAVE Loom, I bought a lucasgames classics collection, too - but that was before MI3... but anyway Loom could be in there. Actually I'm quite sure I bought it and never opened the pack...

Loom cd version is VERY rare. It was published by Mindscape (which had the rights) which doesn't exist now. So nobody has the rights to publish the loom cd version :( and even if someone wanted to buy the rights... there is no company to buy them from!!! :(  That's why it's the only game that you can't buy from www.lucasarts.com.... But I really suggest you to try to find it... I have seen it a few times in ebay and other similar sites.

(If you have the original floppy disk version you can update it to the cd version with a patch that you can be downloaded from www.the-underdogs.org.... And it's not really illegal because nobody has the rights to this game... Even Lucasarts let them provide the update. You can also find there the whole story, which is very interesting).

Oh... and I keep all the adventures I have in my library. I'm really proud for them...

Oh, and I didn't finish Grim Fandango yet, a friend is currently playing it and I didn't have the time to play it yet. Did you play it ? It already used that new MI4 engine, didn't it ? I didn't like it too much, but I guess it's not as bad as most people said when you get used to the controls.

Grim Fandango is IMHO the best adventure of the last 6 years... I am one of the few that really likes the GrimE Engine (it was first used in Grim Fandango, from which the engine got it's name ...) and LOVES the keyboard control! I think is much better than all the scumm interfaces...

I almost forgot about Indy 3... gee... I'm searching for this pack now!

Indy 3 has two versions too. One with 16 colors and one with 256 colors... The cd version even have the audio music in audio tracks....

I'll make a list of all the different versions of lucasfilm/lucasarts adventures when I get home (that is tomorrow) if anyone is interested.

EDIT: I changed the link to www.the-underdogs.org... It was wrong before... I am sorry :( It should work now!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 11:22:09 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 05:43:38 PM »

Is this list really complete? That would mean I've played them all except the first two. Cool 8)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 05:53:16 PM »

Is this list really complete? That would mean I've played them all except the first two. Cool 8)

Yes, it's a complete list with ALL lucasarts adventure games (without counting different version of the games, like 16colors, 256 colors, floppy disk versions, cd versions... etc).
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 10:08:36 AM »

Ok... as I promised here it is a list with all Lucasarts adventures and their different variations:

--Labyrinth -c64 & apple II version
--Maniac Mansion - original version
--Maniac Mansion - enhanced version (same resolution, bad better colored graphics)
--Mania Mansion - C64 (it has the same graphics as the original pc version)
--Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders -  original version
--Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders - enhanced (the same as with maniac mansion enhanced)
--Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders - C64 (same graphics as the original pc version)
--Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders - FM TOWNS version (it's a version for a japanese computer that has much better 256colors graphics - instead of 16colors- that has never been published for the pc, but if you find it you can play it with scummvm)
--Loom - EGA floppy disk version
--Loom - VGA (256colors) CD version with full speech
--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - EGA floppy disk version
--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - VGA floppy disk version
--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - FM TOWNS (it's the same as the VGA pc version but it has the music in much better quality in audio tracks on the cd)
--Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis - VGA floppy disk version
--Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis - VGA CD version with full-speech
--The Secret of Monkey Island - EGA floppy disk version
--The Secret of Monkey Island - VGA floppy disk version
--The Secret of Monkey Island - VGA CD version (it has the music in audio tracks)
--Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - floppy disk version
--Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - CD version (It's EXACT the same files as the floppy version with no audio tracks :) )
--Day of the Tentacle - floppy disk version
--Day of the Tentacle - CD version (the same graphics but with full speech)
--Sam 'n Max hit the road - floppy version
--Sam 'n Max hit the road - CD version (the same graphics but with full speech)
--Full Thottle
--The Dig
--The curse of Monkey Island
--Grim Fandango
--Escape from Monkey Island

*1* Monkey 1 & 2 cd version were published together on a cd names "Monkey Island Madness", that's why only the first one has audio tracks.
*2* Ofcourse there are versions of other languages (like german or spanish) but I don't count them
*3* The old adventures were publushed also for the amiga and apple computers but I don't count them because they are exactly the same as the pc or the commodore64 (c64) versions. (The apple versions had a filter for the graphics, like scummvm has, but the data files were the same)
*4* There are some more versions of the old adventures but the only difference is the cracked interprenter because some publishers didn't want to print the manuals :( (which sucks imo)
*5* The last "Lucasarts Entertainment Pack" has modified interprenters with filters like those in scummvm but the gamefiles are exactly the same. Those modified interprenters are for "The Dig" and "Sam 'n max hit the road".

Ok... that's it... If there are versions that I don't know or there are errors in this list and/or the explanations please let me know :)

EDIT: I have added the pre-scumm adventure of 1986 "Labyrinth" to the list. I would like to thank KA-su-MA-kun  for sharing this information with us. :) I have also made some small corrections/additions to the explanations.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 07:54:35 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 11:20:02 AM »

*1* Monkey 1 & 2 cd version were published together on a cd names "Monkey Island Madness", that's why only the first one has audio tracks.

I have a MI1+MI2 CD compilation, but it's not called "Monkey Island Madness", it was published by Virgin in a "White Label" edition. Probably some budget reedition.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 11:37:08 AM »

I have a MI1+MI2 CD compilation, but it's not called "Monkey Island Madness", it was published by Virgin in a "White Label" edition. Probably some budget reedition.

Does MI1 have audio tracks?
fl*p

Musta Kaapu

• Occasional poster
  • "I'm a bunny rabbit!"
    • View Profile
    • SomethingAwful
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 11:37:11 AM »

Ok... as I promised here it is a list with all Lucasarts adventures and their different variations:

Check this out, http://casaaddams.cjb.net/ It's a list of almost all Lucasarts/Lucasfilm games ever released.

EDIT:
Oh, it doens't have the new games at all. Well, at least the "oldies" are pretty much covered.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 11:39:37 AM by Musta Kaapu »
"Do you still wish to fight me?"

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 11:40:09 AM »

Check this out, http://casaaddams.cjb.net/ It's a list of almost all Lucasarts/Lucasfilm games ever released.

Hm... it doesn't list the different variations (for example it doesn't say that there is a floppy disk AND a cd version of Indy4 - it just say that there is a pc version).

EDIT: Ok... I was wrong in tha example... but there are some things missing. And it doesn't have details in what are the differences.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 11:43:18 AM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 11:43:37 AM »

Yep, it's a regular CD edition. The games run off CD and only save settings and savegames to harddisk.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 12:43:35 PM »

Yep, it's a regular CD edition.

You're not talking about audio-cd tracks, are you ? They are MIDI anyway ?!
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2003, 12:47:27 PM »

You're not talking about audio-cd tracks, are you ? They are MIDI anyway ?!

Nah, the CD version of Monkey Island 1 has audio CD tracks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.