Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Async saving  (Read 7590 times)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Async saving
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »

Hi there,

is it hard to create an asynchronous version of Save Game (background saving)? It's kind of big request of portals (save on every step in a way new Monkey Island or Sam and Max do).

Thanks!
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Async saving
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »

Since WME is saving the entire state, it's not quite possible to do this asynchronously, because you'd be saving something that's already changing.
I don't know about Monkey Island, but AFAIK Sam&Max auto-saves at some specific points. Nothing prevents you from doing that in WME, as far as I can tell.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »

Saving games in WME tends to be quite slow. Doing this frequently would kill the players. I was looking for the way how to mask it. Async save could have been used eg. when some FMV plays etc. Simply hiding the fact that there's background saving taking place.

I also had maybe a different idea about the async save than you. I would make a state snapshot independently on what happens next (memory copy?) so of course everything what player does after the save point would have been lost, but it doesn't matter that much. While staring at a saving screen makes the time fly really slow, in reality the same ammount of time would hardly represent a severe gameplay problem. As the save game files are not that large, I don't think it would have been a memory issue either.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

Saving games in WME tends to be quite slow.
It tends to be slow if there's a lot of data to be saved.

I would make a state snapshot independently on what happens next (memory copy?) so of course everything what player does after the save point would have been lost, but it doesn't matter that much.
Yeah, but the saved game IS the snapshot. And you can't make a snapshot and let the player change parts of it at the same time...
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »

btw you mentioned Sam and Max, and this particular game hides the auto-save into scene loading times.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.