Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Meet Benny: Adventures in Finding Furniture!  (Read 9804 times)

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Meet Benny: Adventures in Finding Furniture!
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »

Hey all, Tal here. I just realized that while I've been around for a while asking for help, I never formally announced my game.

So. This is Meet Benny: Adventures in Finding Furniture!

It's a short (read: SHORT, about an hour) game where you play as depressed ghost Benny in the hopes of getting your stolen furniture back. Along the way, nothing will make sense. Ever.

This game is currently "done" in the sense that the plot and gameplay are complete, start-to-finish, and all the game-breaking bugs are patched. There are a few things that need to be fixed, though (such as speech bubbles, which cannot be coded the way I want them in WME script, apparently) and a few features I left by the wayside for time constraints (the game was built for a class that wrapped this weekend).

Anyway, I hope to have a finished, polished version available around January or February. Just thought I'd get it out there!

-Tal
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:01:05 AM by Tal »

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Meet Benny: Adventures in Finding Furniture!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »

Tal, what EXACTLY can't be coded in a way you want in WME? :)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:29:19 AM »

Heh, the text balloons I was getting so frustrated over two or three months ago... I've racked my brain for every possible way I can think of to approach this, but it goes a little like this:

My talk function, as shown in the screenshot, has speech displayed over a tileable word balloon. The width of the bubble is fixed. The height of the bubble is (supposed to be) variable, depending on the amount of text present (so as to contain all the words). Unfortunately, what I can't seem to do is determine the height value of the invisible box containing the text at any given time. The width can be determined programatically with *variable*.SubtitlesWidth, but there's no SubtitlesHeight or anything like it. Without being able to determine the height of the subtitles, I can't get a guaranteed fit with my speech balloon every time... in the meantime, I've been basing it on an average number of characters per line, which is sometimes right, sometimes too much, and sometimes not enough.

^_^ I've spent something like 20 hours just trying to figure out a way around it. It's probably the last big problem in the game, other than something one of my testers caught yesterday, which is relatively simple to fix.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »

it works quite nicely in Ghost in the sheet (using the very same approach). I simply divide the ammount of letters and found a good approx. number to distinguish the height. It works ok even in 8 different langauge localizations. So to put it bluntly, your method is correct, you simply need to tweak it more. :) I'd take the most wide character (W) and fill the box with W's, then count the results. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

Mmm, perhaps. My current version is based off the GITS code you posted some time back. I may try to do some more tweaking on that, or may go with another approach, I'm not sure. I was basically looking for a way to definitively get the size of that box, rather than approximate it, though. Thanks!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:36 PM »

The only way of measuring text height is using the static control in a window. Set the desired width, fill the text, call HeightToFit() method and read the resulting height.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »

Cool artistic style, btw :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »

Thanks! :D I had a lot of fun with the art... I wish I had more time to do character animations though. That's one thing I ended up lacking time to do properly beyond the basics.

The static control method sounds familiar- I think I tried it at one point, but I must not have gotten it to work. I'm gonna start looking at it again sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'll give that another go. Essentially, I'd need to be sending the string text of my actor.Talk function to the static control of a window, use HeightToFit, store the resulting height value of the static control in a variable then use that to define my balloon's height, yes? I think I can do that.

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

Oh.

Wow. THAT worked well.

Yeah, I dunno what the problem with my previous approaches to that method was, but that worked great! Only problem now is that the little pointy thing on the bottom of the bubble isn't staying attached to the bottom of the bubble (it's a static control), but that's partly because it's based off of the old math. Shouldn't be too hard to get it to stick to the bubble.

Thank you! You have no idea how much better getting that fixed makes me feel. ^_^

Connway

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Tentative Name
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:12:29 AM »

I gotta say, I'm really diggin' that art style. Can't wait for the release. :)

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

yea... i keep checking back as well.. it looks sweet
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »

^_^ Thanks everyone. I'm taking the next couple of weeks to polish, though Christmas/New Years is probably going to delay that a bit... I go back to college on Jan. 12 though, and I'll be starting new projects by then so I hope to have it up sometime that week.

(And even after I release it, I'm totally open for feedback.  ;) I'm totally open to changing just about anything to make the game better.)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:49:38 PM by Tal »

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 03:51:10 AM »

I'm looking forward to this too. Some of my most favorite games have been in black and white.  :  )
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Tal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:38 AM »

Got the trail of the word balloon working right; Tomorrow I'll be doing quite a bit of work on this after I plow out my driveway. >_<

14 inches of snow here in the last two days.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 25 queries.