Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Out of focus?  (Read 3297 times)

Altsaxofon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Out of focus?
« on: October 11, 2006, 09:09:56 PM »

I am thinking about making an adventure game based on a real miniature model world. In other words, building a little room and photogrphing it and using it as background. The thing is that i want it to actually look like a photographed miniature, and this effect is created by a very short depth of field of the camera ( blurry up front and in the back ). Now this is apperantly already present on the backgrounds, because they really are miniatures, haha.. eh..

Im planning to make it a 3d person game, and thinking it would be really nice to apply this effect to the actor also. That when he walks closer, or more far away a blur is applied along with the scale. But I cant really see a way to do this.

At first i was thinking about some kind of semi transparent overlay on top of the whole screen, that would apply to a 2D actor, but a mask can't really apply a blur can it?

I have never worked woth 3D but I understand it as you have a virtual camera that you see your model thru. Can you alter this cameras depth of field?  :-\ (Maybe I'm really out hiking on this one)

To make a confusing story short, is it possible to use a "focus effect" with 3d actors, or does anyone know of another way to simulate depth of field?

fabiobasile

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • my brand new website!!
Re: Out of focus?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:37:51 AM »

Since WME, as far as i know, does not appear at a glance to support extremely complex camera tools as in high-end 3D animation packages like Maya, we must use tricks that are already embedded in the graphics.

The good news is that you decided to use photographic backgrounds for your game, which makes things easier, for you could be able (hopefully) to create a 2D actor and have the actor change its sprites into blurred ones depending how "far" or "near" he walks in respect to the horizon.

To think of it it's going to be one hell of a job (exhausting), but if you can accomplish that i'm sure it will look great.

Unfortunately this is totally untested, althought i am currently working on an isometric RPG entirely based on sprites, i am currently unable to experiment since i got my hands full with other paid work... lol
What would i do with a million dollar? I'd give it to what's left of Black Isle/Interplay and tell them to finish the damn game!!!

Altsaxofon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »

Since WME, as far as i know, does not appear at a glance to support extremely complex camera tools as in high-end 3D animation packages like Maya, we must use tricks that are already embedded in the graphics.

Althoug I'm a little sad to hear it, this was what I was fearing. Making different animation for different stages of blur seems to be the only way out. This, however, probably wouldn't turn out very nice-looking. Mabye if you just used one of them per room (in or out focus). Anyhow, this was what I needed to know.
Thanks fabiobasile

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »

hello
a possible solution could be having one animation that looks sharp and one that is blurred . than you put the blurred one over the sharp one and raise the alpha value of the blurred one if you are getting closer to the screen.... so you have to use png.images but that shouldnt be a problem ....
so you only have to do one animation. the other one is made very quickly using a blur filter in any grafik tool over the existing animation-images .....

greets
stucki

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.