Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Latest stable: WME 1.5.2  (Read 17069 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Latest stable: WME 1.5.2
« on: October 09, 2005, 06:07:10 PM »

Hello wintermuties,

1.5.2 is a minor WME release, which mainly improves the plugin interface, as requested by plugin developers. But there are also some fixes and new features, so everyone's encouraged to update their WME installation.

Enjoy ::beer

WME update: http://www.dead-code.org/download/wme_update_152.exe (3.2MB)
Updated documentation: http://www.dead-code.org/download/wme_doc.zip (3MB)

(Note 1: you must have the WME DevKit installed prior to installing this patch)
(Note 2: saved games are incompatible with previous releases)
(Note 3: plugins need to be recompiled against the latest version of the interface header)

Version 1.5.2 (October 9, 2005)

� 
  • The Game.AddResponse*() methods now accept an optional font � filename to be used for a given response.
  • � 
  • WME now automatically uses speech sounds if their filename matches the � string table ID of a given speech line, no need to explicitly reference speech � files in scripts. New Game.AddSpeechDir() and Game.RemoveSpeechDir() � for setting directories to look for speech files in.
  • � 
  • Improvements to the plugins API; New IWmeSubFrame class which � allows plugins to modify sprites on pixel level. New methods for creating � scripting objects from within plugins and for easier setting value properties.
  • � 
  • BUGFIX: Crash on exit when using custom TTF fonts.
  • � 
  • Many, many mistakes in the documentation have been fixed (thanks to odnorf).
  • � 
  • New sample plugin demonstrating pixel operations on subframes (wme_sample_pixel.dll).
  • � 
  • New project demonstrating the snow and pixel plugins usage (wme_plugins_demo).

Version 1.5 (July 23, 2005)

� 
  • Support for Theora video. WME can now play videos in � Ogg Theora format which � brings many advantages over the AVI video playback. There is a new � Game.PlayTheora() method, and additionally the scene entities are also � able to play Theora videos, which means you can easily incorporate streaming � video elements directly into game scenes. Please see the "Using Theora" � chapter in the documentation for more details. Special thanks to #wme channel � regulars for their help with Theora testing and encoding.
  • � 
  • Support for advanced plugins. In addition to simple DLL library � calls from scripts WME now provides a standardized programming interface for � plugin development. This allows experienced programmers to develop extension � modules for the engine. Please see the "Plugin development" section in the � documentation for more details.
  • � 
  • Additional options for 3D scenes. SceneEdit now offers several � additional options when designing scenes with hidden 3D geometry. Developers � are now able to set clipping planes and waypoints placement, which should help � to troubleshoot common problems with 3D characters.
  • � 
  • The Game.PlayVideo() and Game.PlayTheora() methods now offer � an optional parameter specifying whether the background music should be muted � while the video is playing.
  • � 
  • New Game.Frozen attribute for checking current game state.
  • � 
  • New Game.TextRTL attribute which should allow displaying � bi-directional text (Hebrew and Arabic) while using TrueType fonts.
  • � 
  • New Game.Direct3DDevice and Game.DirectDrawInterface � attributes to allow plugins accessing directly the underlying DirectX � interfaces used by WME.
  • � 
  • The project settings in ProjectMan now include the ability to set which � plugins should be distributed with the game.
  • � 
  • BUGFIX: Occasional crashes when using TrueType fonts.
  • � 
  • BUGFIX: Incorrect text wrapping and alpha color when using TrueType fonts.
  • � 
  • BUGFIX: The "ActorLeave" events were sometimes incorrectly triggered when � entering a new scene.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 12:12:25 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: WME 1.5.2
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 06:16:13 PM »

Thanks million for this so much needed update! :-) 

Here's to you! ::beer ::beer ::beer  ::beer ::beer
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

PoselSmrti

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 07:06:19 PM »

Yeah, new update! You are great man Mnemonic
 :)

Ace_gamer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:21:33 PM »

i get an error message! when trying to install.

"error copying files"

WHY!!!!!!  >:( ??? :(

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 03:29:39 PM »

i get an error message! when trying to install.

"error copying files"

WHY!!!!!!  >:( ??? :(
You have probably ProjectMan running. Please shut it down before running the update.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Ace_gamer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »

thanks! the only reason i had project man running is coz i got the update notice from the programme itself.

i bet i'm not the only person to have done that...right ??? right :o ??? :-[  :)

varnama

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 02:13:19 AM »

Hi! First Good Update ::rock,  but I have one question..
For now i'm using in one scene Jerrot's WeatherGod, I see the new plugin for snow and i think it's look a lot better, but i have one problem trying implement in my scene, the scene is with scroll, and only display plugin in first 1024x768 sector, you can walk off there and plugin are cut in 1024 line.. Jerrot's WeatherGod have two varariables to declare height and width of screen, example:

var layer_width           = 3593;
var layer_height          = 1264;

A there any variable in plugin snow to do this? That's all, thanks very much!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 03:13:22 AM »

Great addition the spech sound - string table matching. It saves up a lot of work.  (That means more time for ::beer  ;D)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:17:31 AM by McCoy »

Click here to sign my sig!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »

Hi! First Good Update ::rock,  but I have one question..
For now i'm using in one scene Jerrot's WeatherGod, I see the new plugin for snow and i think it's look a lot better, but i have one problem trying implement in my scene, the scene is with scroll, and only display plugin in first 1024x768 sector, you can walk off there and plugin are cut in 1024 line.. Jerrot's WeatherGod have two varariables to declare height and width of screen, example:

var layer_width           = 3593;
var layer_height          = 1264;

A there any variable in plugin snow to do this? That's all, thanks very much!
Unfortunately it's not possible at the moment. The snow plugin is more or less intended just like an example for plugin developers. It doesn't expose nearly any properties to the scripts. But the truth is it would be really easy to expand the plugin to make it ready for routine use. Perhaps it would be worth the effort until we get a more advanced particle generator plugin :) I'll look into it later.

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:04 PM »

Mnemonic, you're a Machine!

::rock

I just have this one question, if you don't mind...

Do all the extra features that you add to the new versions increase the system requirements for the players (and the designers)?

I mean, things like Theora video support, etc etc etc...

I think that in the long run, it's really good... and also necessary...
(The computers just get more and more powerful, people's expectations for games go up, etc)

But in the short run, do the additions and changes you make increase the system requirements significantly?

Or is it only if you "plug in" the "plugins", that "teh evil" eats up all your ram, hd space, video memory, etc?

Just a question...

...and also many thanks...

from organican
(who thinks that you're doing a tremendous job here BTW. ::rock )

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 11:20:40 PM »

Hi,
although I am not Mnemonic, WME is designed so that it uses exactly that much resources as you want it to use. So you won't suffer any performance problems if you don't use these features. WME executable size is over 2MB which is fun. ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 12:24:03 PM »

Yes, exactly. If you don't use e.g. Theora video in your game, the system requirements aren't affected at all. This is true for most new features, unless it's some core functionality.

Darius

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 04:20:22 PM »

it wont install      "error copying files"

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 09:04:37 AM »

Quote from: Mnemonic in this very thread
You have probably ProjectMan running. Please shut it down before running the update.

darius

Re: design
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 06:55:57 AM »

how can i make a 2d model look real like a 3d model

Dionysius

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • On the Tracks of Dinosaurs
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »

Tell me please, can I update WME 1.3.2 till 1.5.2, if I'll download wme_update? Or I need to download WME 1.5 at first?

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »

*looking into the archive*
IMHO that should work fine... actually I think you could even update from WME 1.0. ;-)

PS: But you should at least download the updated documentation (which is a separate download) as well.
Mooh!

esden9

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »

Hi, trying WME for first time! It's nice!

One snag I ran into going through the tutorial (Step 7: Region entities, cursors, scripts). The instructions on how to script the look at portion don't work as expected. Seems that the GoToObject method outlined there has been replaced by property settings for Walk To.

Edit: In part 9 of the tutorial the walk to stuff is documented. However the method described earlier was not working for me, and the code snippet in that section is slightly different. GoToObject(this) is what the template generates, while GoToObject() is listed in the snippet. Removing "this" breaks it. The GoToObject() function generated by the template is also commented out. Modifying it does nothing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:36:31 AM by esden9 »

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »

Hi esden9, welcome to Wintermute!

In my documentation, I have the following script in the area you're talking about :

#include "scripts\base.inc"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "LookAt"
{
  GoToObject();
  actor.Talk("Blah");
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "Take"
{
  GoToObject();
  actor.Talk("Blah");
}

function GoToObject()
{
  actor.GoTo(200, 200);
  actor.TurnTo(DI_UP);
}

That should work, but apparently I have older documentation to the most current release. The area you're talking about (lookat) makes the character walk to the object, then make a comment saying "Blah". (Sorry if I sound condescending, I'm trying to help!). Let us know if that is not what you have in your documentation.

The reference where it says GoToObject() should work because at the bottom of the script, you should have written the function called GoToObject(). The function itself does not require parameters, and thus should work. Personally I don't know why it's been written as a function because it doesn't return any values, but that's what the documentation says! (Perhaps that's why it's broken!)

Anyway, Mnemonic or another one of those Wintermute Elite will be along in a few hours and will probably have a much much better explanation than this.

However good luck, and happy Wintermuting! :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »

It's like this:

Originally, you had to manually write the walk-to position to the script. That's the method described in the 7th chapter of the tutorial.
To make development easier, a later version of WME introduced the ability to define the walk-to point (and direction) directly in SceneEdit and the script template has been modified appropriately.

So, now you need to define the walk-to point in SceneEdit for each entity, and their scripts will contain something like:
Code: [Select]
on "LookAt"
{
  actor.GoToObject(this);
  actor.Talk("Some witty comment here.");
}

This way is preferred now, because it's much easier. If you wanted to use the original approach for whatever reason, you'd have to modify the generated code back to GoToObject(), uncomment the GoToObject() function itself, and change the target point coordinate in that function.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.