Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Latest stable: WME 1.5.2  (Read 17068 times)

Dionysius

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • On the Tracks of Dinosaurs
Re: WME 1.5.2
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »

Tell me please, can I update WME 1.3.2 till 1.5.2, if I'll download wme_update? Or I need to download WME 1.5 at first?

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »

*looking into the archive*
IMHO that should work fine... actually I think you could even update from WME 1.0. ;-)

PS: But you should at least download the updated documentation (which is a separate download) as well.
Mooh!

esden9

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »

Hi, trying WME for first time! It's nice!

One snag I ran into going through the tutorial (Step 7: Region entities, cursors, scripts). The instructions on how to script the look at portion don't work as expected. Seems that the GoToObject method outlined there has been replaced by property settings for Walk To.

Edit: In part 9 of the tutorial the walk to stuff is documented. However the method described earlier was not working for me, and the code snippet in that section is slightly different. GoToObject(this) is what the template generates, while GoToObject() is listed in the snippet. Removing "this" breaks it. The GoToObject() function generated by the template is also commented out. Modifying it does nothing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:36:31 AM by esden9 »

Columbo

• Supporter
  • Lurker
  • Just one more thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »

Hi esden9, welcome to Wintermute!

In my documentation, I have the following script in the area you're talking about :

#include "scripts\base.inc"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "LookAt"
{
  GoToObject();
  actor.Talk("Blah");
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "Take"
{
  GoToObject();
  actor.Talk("Blah");
}

function GoToObject()
{
  actor.GoTo(200, 200);
  actor.TurnTo(DI_UP);
}

That should work, but apparently I have older documentation to the most current release. The area you're talking about (lookat) makes the character walk to the object, then make a comment saying "Blah". (Sorry if I sound condescending, I'm trying to help!). Let us know if that is not what you have in your documentation.

The reference where it says GoToObject() should work because at the bottom of the script, you should have written the function called GoToObject(). The function itself does not require parameters, and thus should work. Personally I don't know why it's been written as a function because it doesn't return any values, but that's what the documentation says! (Perhaps that's why it's broken!)

Anyway, Mnemonic or another one of those Wintermute Elite will be along in a few hours and will probably have a much much better explanation than this.

However good luck, and happy Wintermuting! :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »

It's like this:

Originally, you had to manually write the walk-to position to the script. That's the method described in the 7th chapter of the tutorial.
To make development easier, a later version of WME introduced the ability to define the walk-to point (and direction) directly in SceneEdit and the script template has been modified appropriately.

So, now you need to define the walk-to point in SceneEdit for each entity, and their scripts will contain something like:
Code: [Select]
on "LookAt"
{
  actor.GoToObject(this);
  actor.Talk("Some witty comment here.");
}

This way is preferred now, because it's much easier. If you wanted to use the original approach for whatever reason, you'd have to modify the generated code back to GoToObject(), uncomment the GoToObject() function itself, and change the target point coordinate in that function.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.