Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: A52 PAssthrough  (Read 4638 times)

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
A52 PAssthrough
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:35:01 AM »

Hi,

this is NOT a request for enhanced EAX Stuff ... Just a Question/Request for Theora Videos.

Can you Init something like VLC's enhanced waveout, enabling digital data to be decoded on the Soundcard or even enable a A52 Passthrough to external decoders (soundcard setup, not wme-stuff) ?

The only thing Wintermute must do for this is a) play back multichannel theoras and hand over A52 digital stream to the soundcard and b) NOT mix anything in the streams, for it is digital data.

This would enable 5.1 or even 7.1 mixes for the cutscenes and modern sound systems (and, using the entity.playtheora on an invisible entity, surround sound effects somewhere inside the game ... ;-) )
... delete the inner sleep ...

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: A52 PAssthrough
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »

To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about or how to achieve that.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
Re: A52 PAssthrough
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »

Ahm ... Sorry ...

Main question, boiled down to an understandable level:
If you play a Theora and detect the Audio Codec A52, which happens to be the codec used to pump Dolby Digital or DTS through the digital connectors of the computer, then just pipe the stream it to the soundcard without altering it or changing it in any form. This enables soundcards to decode the stream or handle it to external decoders, the effect beeing multichannel audio in theora files.

VLC Media Player had to use a special audio driver for this, for it's normal driver alters the sound stream. This special driver is called "waveout extended" and I have no clue what exactly it does. I think it's specially programmed to do nothing.

The only Problem on the WME side of this playback problem is: there might be more than one Audio Stream, and they all must be passed through.

Wether or not the player wants to use Digital Surround Audio is not your problem, this is up to the designers to provide proper theoras for digital surround and stereo waveout. I'm just asking for the piping here.
... delete the inner sleep ...

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.