Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: 3d geometry  (Read 4377 times)

Kreep

• Lurker
    • View Profile
3d geometry
« on: October 17, 2005, 08:41:51 PM »

hi,. I've done modelling+java before so I thought I'd try this.

but this geometry thing has completely thrown me. they're are no technical errors (i.e. it doesn't crash) but I've no idea how to go about making it. are you just suppose to guess the size+layout of the mesh?

how do you change the camera angles? for example, in the 3D tutorial the camera's practically horizontal so i put in a new background that has a semi top down view (resident evil style) and then tried to rotate the geometry to suit it, but every angle i choose seems to be the wrong one. now trinity just walks to random places and with weird scaling, and her model still faces horizontally towards the camera rather than underneath it.

can someone show me a step-by-step guide to how they create a geometry for a room? thanks.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: 3d geometry
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:26:02 PM »

are you just suppose to guess the size+layout of the mesh?
No, typically you use exactly the same camera you used to render the background image. Similarly, the hidden geometry is a simplified version of the scene model.
Trying to fit the geometry to an existing image would be indeed quite painful.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kreep

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:09:43 PM »

I do not understand. even if I had the original model how would that help? is the camera you place the camera WME will use or what exactly? i still don't know how to sort the cameras or scaling. assume i have the model, could you explain the whole process please?

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:17:35 AM »

If you already have the scene model and want to change things you go this route:

- you open the 3d scene in your modelling software and do the changes you want, then you render the scene again
- then you change the simplified geometry according to the changes you made in the original scene (imagine you have a highly detailed desk in your scene, for the hidden geometry you would just create a simple cube that covers the whole desk and name the model for example blk_desk)
- then you export the scene with the simple geometry again to .3ds
- and at last you change your scene in SceneEdit (import the new rendered pic and the new .3ds-file with the hidden geometry)

If you want to create a whole new scene like in your example, you also have to create new hidden geometry in your 3d program. YOu can't use the .3ds-file that comes with the demo for other scenes, you always need a new one that matches your new scene.

Kreep

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »

no, I understand the purpose of the geometry, i just don't know how to make one from scratch. obviously strip down the original 3D model. then what? the 3Dtutorial geometry matches up perfectly with the x, y, and z axis but the camera's still at an angle. is the camera you put in in 3ds max the perspective the game will use? is scaling done automatically?

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 04:53:57 PM »

Ok, step by step:

- First you create the original scene in your 3d app and render it
- then, again in your 3d app, you create what in WME becomes the hidden geometry, that means, you create the walking plane, the blocked areas and waypoints. In your 3d software this is just normal, simple geometry, e.g. planes and cubes. This hidden geometry must of course match your scene layout, so the simplest way to do it is just creating your hidden geometry over the original scene, and then delete the original (and save it under a different name then :-) ). The lights and cameras must remain in your new file.
- When you have finished that you export everything to .3ds
- Last step, in SceneEdit you create a new scene and import both the rendered picture from step one and the 3ds-file. That's it.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.