Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: can I do resident-evil-style games with wme?  (Read 9418 times)

Chill Pill

• Space Monkey
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
can I do resident-evil-style games with wme?
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:01:27 PM »

hi there,
i am new to wintermute engine and asked myself if there's a possibility to make a game in the style of resident evil. i think the engine in resident evil 1 was quite similiar to wme, but can you also integrate different weapons and enemies that you can shoot with some kind of auto-aim-system and can you also do melee attacks with a knife or something?
and can you change the movement system from point-to-click to a direct one with the arrow keys?
if its not possible maybe you know another engine which can do that...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:07:49 PM by Filmriss »
"The things you own end up owning you."

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: can I do resident-evil-style games with wme?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

Hi,

it should be possible and moreover I think someone here works exactly on this kind of
game. Direct Control is possible too and AutoAiming etc. is just a question of your scripting and animating skills. So no limitations there either.

Good luck!
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Chill Pill

• Space Monkey
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »

hmm...sounds good...just one more question:
is it possible to do one scene containing different screens? i mean, for example, when an enemy attacks you and you run away and enter the next screen, is it possible that the enemy follows you into the next screen, with same damage values etc that he had in the previous one? i ask this because i want to show rooms from different camera angles, depending on where you are in the room; so it would be quite bad if you go from one corner of a room to the other, chased by an enemy, and he suddenly disappears when the camera changes, left alone in the other corner of the room (other screen)...

varnama

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

Is it possible? Of course!! Camera change, you have got an example "demo 3d" in wme directory, and the other question it's very easy, only with a global variable you can solve this ;)
Byee! 8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:46:48 PM by varnama »

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »

Well, it should be possible to make one scene containing several rooms.

But I'm not sure if it would take up a lot of computer resources to show a really really big scene instead of many small ones. (We should leave that to Mnemonic to answer...).

But it would be cool if enemies could follow you around corners and into other rooms...

Another way, would be for the game to "remember" if an enemy is chasing you when you go to a new scene. Then you somehow import him a couple of seconds after the main character. Just an idea.

But doing many small scenes inside one larger scene would be best solution... for remembering the enemies damage, how far away they are from the player, what they ate for lunch ;) and other things...

and can you change the movement system from point-to-click to a direct one with the arrow keys?
You can have direct control in wme, both for 2d and 3d characters.

Igorrr's "Spank the hero" minigame uses direct keyboard control for its 2D character...
http://wiki.dead-code.org/wakka.php?wakka=Goodies

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »

Yes, multiple scenes can share the same hidden 3D geometry, so when you change to another scene with the same geometry, the actor(s) will stay at the same positions in 3D space. It's demonstrated in wme_demo_3d when Trinity leaves the "close to wall" scene.
Keyboard controls for walking are directly supported and they are also demonstrated in wme_demo_3d.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »

(I'm assuming we're talking about 3d actors here)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Chill Pill

• Space Monkey
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »

thank you all...all questions answered.  ;D

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 11:25:27 AM »

Alot of peoples ask this. And i think that could be interesting to share ours knowledge about that and build a  resident-evil-style demo. This will be used as starter kit for everybody interested in RE style game.

I have a couples of scipt for weapons, auto aim closest enemy, colisions detection, enemy spawn.
Look my Site ——► http://news.leucome.ca

Banky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »

Hi all

I am also interested in making a resident-evil-style game. My question is: in addition to the keyboard direct control, is possible to interact with objects without mouse? I mean, if you want to look a picture in a wall, you just move the character to the wall and when the character is looking at the picture, just press the 'interact' key without using the mouse...

Thank you all in advace, and leucome, i think it would be very useful if you can upload those scripts somewhere, maybe in the wiki

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »

yes, it's possible. That's what direct control is for. You just need to script it a bit more than with point'n'click.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 07:24:50 PM »

Hi all

I am also interested in making a resident-evil-style game. My question is: in addition to the keyboard direct control, is possible to interact with objects without mouse? I mean, if you want to look a picture in a wall, you just move the character to the wall and when the character is looking at the picture, just press the 'interact' key without using the mouse...

Thank you all in advace, and leucome, i think it would be very useful if you can upload those scripts somewhere, maybe in the wiki

You can place a region on the floor just in front of your  object ... and with the script you test if the actor is inside region and key a pressed ...  But i can't remember exectly what sript i made to do that and i have removed that from my game ....

About sharing my script for re-style ... I d'ont think this will be realy good whitout a game content ... A script for a gun  without   have a gun, not do anytings ... This is why i am thinking about a demo...
Look my Site ——► http://news.leucome.ca

Banky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »

Yeah, leucome you're right... the demo is the best option

Thank you all guys for the answers

Chill Pill

• Space Monkey
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »

yes, a demo would be a good idea...i can do some modelling, 2d art and maybe also some music.
i already got a rough idea for storyline and characters...only thing i can't do (at this moment) is scripting...
if the demo is a success we could also think about making a whole game...

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.