Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Ogg Theora vs. AVI divx (quality of video)  (Read 6070 times)

Roman Navratil

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • www.farawaystudios.com
Ogg Theora vs. AVI divx (quality of video)
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »

I would like to ask you guys something: We are trying tests of render videos in the Ogg theora format and in the AVI format (with the use of Divx codec). The Source data for this are the BMP pictures converted to NONE-compresion AVI video file. That means absolutelly 100% quality, no compresion of the source data.

Problem is, that even when we set a relatively high quality of the Ogg Theora video, we do not get even at least the same quality as with the AVI (Divx) format (codec).  Even when the Ogg theora has twice the data-size (10 MB) of the AVI format (5MB), the quality is still worse (you do not have to bee even an expert in video to see the difference). The AVI (divx) is sharper and better, the "ogg" is blurred and worse.

When the data sizes of both- Theora (5MB) and AVI (5MB) were similiar, the OGG was a lot worse then avi. So we gave ogg theora a twice bitrate (10MB data-size file in final) then before but still it is worse then the old avi (with half of the size of Theora video).

I would like to ask, if we are doing something incorrectly, or is it simply imposible to get a better quality from OGG theora videos (if we still want to keep at least similiar data-size of the video). We are using a program called SUPER for the conversion to OGG theora.

The video has 800*600px and 25 seconds.

(Sorry for english, im writting it in a hurry)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:20:53 PM by Roman Navratil »

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: Ogg Theora vs. AVI divx (quality of video)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »

Hi there!

I am using ffmpeg2theora for creating .ogg Vidoes. I am using them to create background animations ( like moving water for example ), and you can't see where the image ends and the video starts ....

I am using -v 10 for high quality, and then you can fiddle around with the Keyframe Setting "-K <int>". If you use -K 3 for example, every third frame will be a keyframe.

In my opinion the size does not matter theses days, so I created a four second loop of "moving water" 752x448, the video is 1.5 Megs in size. One Scene of our game is ~~8 MB in Size without music. I don't see a problem with that, the first part of the Game will be ~~200 Megs in Size.

Sincerly,

Spellbreaker

Roman Navratil

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • www.farawaystudios.com
Re: Ogg Theora vs. AVI divx (quality of video)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »

Well thats interesting, the program "SUPER" we used, seems to be just a GUI (graphic user interface) to the ffmpeg2theora , but from what it seems, it does not handle all the options the ffmpeg2theora has. Thats fucking awesome :-), because it does not containg even the -k or other parameters...

So i will try using directly
ffmpeg2theora

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.