Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Editable mesh vs editable poly  (Read 3549 times)

SoundGuy

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Editable mesh vs editable poly
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »

here's a convetsation i've had with one of my 3d artists, after she foudn out one of our models was built with  editable mesh instead of esitable poly, our models are done in 3DSmax and exported with Panda.

[24-May-09 21:29:33] Jenna Leder says:  in poly mode, you have one 4-sided poly. a quad
[24-May-09 21:29:33] Jenna Leder says: but in mesh mode
[24-May-09 21:29:39] Jenna Leder says: all those quads are cut in two
[24-May-09 21:29:49] Jenna Leder says: so instead of one quad, you have two tris
[24-May-09 21:29:55] Jenna Leder says: instantly doubles the poly count
[24-May-09 21:30:44] Jenna Leder says: now, you can convert mesh to poly, although it's really fucking annoying because it leaves those tris behind (like in watcher), but at least they can be turned into quads

is this true? Does the same model done in Editable Mesh have double the polys and makes my game have less FPS ?
if so, anyone knows how to take a rigged and skinned model and convert it to the other kind simply?

Oded

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Editable mesh vs editable poly
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

No, even if you edit the model as quads, in the end the video card processes triangles.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

Mmemonic is right.  In the end every engine processes only triangles.   About 3dmax, I've never converted an editable mesh to editable poly because I don't use editable mesh anymore. It's older and worse. Start and finish with edit poly. Try to leave your mesh with only quads, cause triangles aren't very good for skinning and subdividing-smothing the mesh. Quads are also made of triangles, but if you manage to keep quads every triangle will be ordered in a cleaner way and the mesh will work better.  You can have a few triangles though, if it's really necessary and it is not in a very deformable area - and if it subdivides well for your high poly model (if there is any).

Felgen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »

It's basicaly the same, except that in the early versions of Max, there was only editable mesh. Editable mesh is ment for "conservative" users. :P

The .3ds format can only use triangles. I guess it's the same way with the .ms3d format and the .x format.
Elmo knows where you live!

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.