Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Just new and need advice  (Read 3332 times)

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
Just new and need advice
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »

Hi my name is StarLite and I would like to ask a question. I hope this is appropriate for this base.
I just finished writing an adventure game with puzzles. I would like to know how simple is Wintermute to use.
I have absolutely no experience whatsoever so I am a beginner at everything. I downloaded the 3d demo and
it looked great. I would like my game to have that style. I guess my question would be is Wintermute easy for
a newbie who doesn't have a clue  to use. Thank you for your time. :)
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re: Just new and need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:48:55 AM »

Hey and welcome!

I guess my question would be is Wintermute easy for
a newbie who doesn't have a clue  to use. Thank you for your time. :)

Well, I suppose we *might* be a little biased. ;) In general I'd say YES, because there are fine working GUI Tools which are not hard to understand, there are demos with source code to play around with, there is a help file with a little tutorial.

Still WME's main power is its scripting language and if you never played around a little with common programming languages or scripts (like JavaScript, PHP, C-style languages or whatever) you might be a little afraid of it. Still I'd say - yes, it IS easy to use, but you have to give it a try. I suppose a line like "Actor.Talk("Hallo");" is not too hard to understand even for non-programmers, but since programming is my job, I might be biased here again. :)

However you decide - my recommendation is to open the demo projects, play around with them in the GUI-Tools and after all load some script and try to change something, there is no better way to learn these things IMHO. And - don't mind to ask here, that's what it's for. We also have an IRC channel, you're welcome...

Good luck,
Jerrot.
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:04:18 AM »

I'd say it depends on how much dedicated and willing to learn you are. It IS possible for a complete newbie to make a large game in WME, just look at Five magical amulets ;) but making a game always requires a lot of dedication (and I mean A LOT).

I'd recommend reading the scene creation tutorial in WME docs and trying to create your first scene, that's a good start.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

Good-day all, I would just like to thank everyone for their help. I guess the best thing for me to do is print out the
docs and read them. I'm semi good at learning that way. Thank you once again. :)

StarLite
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.