Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Super Noob gets stuck at start of WME BOOK Online  (Read 8213 times)

Oliver W

• Lurker
  • Woo Woo Woo!!
    • View Profile
Super Noob gets stuck at start of WME BOOK Online
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »

This problem is very early on in the WME BOOK Online.

http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php

Section 1.3. Scene Editor, almost half-way down the page, it says "Ok, save the file and close it. Now in the Project Manager set the Startup Scene in Debugging settings Section to our warehouse.scene (browse for it). And let’s try our nice scene. Press f5 and walk around with molly."

I start it up by pressing F5, all that happens is I get the demo, the original demo, nothing changes. I can't figure out what I've done wrong, in fact, I started all over again, but the same thing happend when I got to this section. Here is a link to a video, it's not good quality, but you should be able to see that the debug startup scene is set to warehouse, and for the hell of it, I even changed the startup scene to warehouse.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=Z01QK0dvYXlmVGF4dnc9PQ

Thank you for your time. Any help would be great.
Woo... Woo.. Woo

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Re: Super Noob gets stuck at start of WME BOOK Online
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »

Section 1.3. Scene Editor, almost half-way down the page, it says "Ok, save the file and close it. Now in the Project Manager set the Startup Scene in Debugging settings Section to our warehouse.scene (browse for it). And let’s try our nice scene. Press f5 and walk around with molly."

I start it up by pressing F5, all that happens is I get the demo, the original demo, nothing changes. I can't figure out what I've done wrong, in fact, I started all over again, but the same thing happend when I got to this section. Here is a link to a video, it's not good quality, but you should be able to see that the debug startup scene is set to warehouse, and for the hell of it, I even changed the startup scene to warehouse.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=Z01QK0dvYXlmVGF4dnc9PQ

Hi, : )

Did you add a new scene and do file save?  To add a new scene you right click on the scene folders and add a new scene, name it and then in the case of the wme project you're doing, you have to copy some contents in there.

You can then open that scene in the scene editor and make the background whatever picture it's supposed to be and place the items, like the crate and the actor and save. 

There are 2 places to set the beginning scene, one is at the very bottom on the left in that white column and the other is about in the middle in that same white column.  Set the beginning scene in those 2 places then do a file save.  Now whenever you open that "game" and do F5 you should have the game starting with your new scene. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:43:55 PM by Catacomber »
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Oliver W

• Lurker
  • Woo Woo Woo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »

Hi, : )

Did you add a new scene and do file save?  To add a new scene you right click on the scene folders and add a new scene, name it and then in the case of the wme project you're doing, you have to copy some contents in there.

You can then open that scene in the scene editor and make the background whatever picture it's supposed to be and place the items, like the crate and the actor and save. 

There are 2 places to set the beginning scene, one is at the very bottom on the left in that white column and the other is about in the middle in that same white column.  Set the beginning scene in those 2 places then do a file save.  Now whenever you open that "game" and do F5 you should have the game starting with your new scene. 

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure I've done all that. Maybe it's hard to see it in the video, here is a screenshot, is there anything out of place. Also, surely just changing the 'Startup sceen' in debug mode should do it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:43:26 PM by Oliver W »
Woo... Woo.. Woo

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »

The picture is a little small but I don't see anything wrong.  (I blew it up well enough to read it.) Could you put the file up at rapidshare or somewhere so someone can download and try to play it and I would try.  : )

You shouldn't be discouraged. If you read my old posts you'd see how often I was climbing the walls. : )
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:59:45 PM by Catacomber »

Oliver W

• Lurker
  • Woo Woo Woo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »

Thanks.

The image in my last post is a thumbnail link, it should link to a large screenshot.

I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is, I think it has something to so with Windows Vista. I've moved the project folder to My Documents. It's no longer opening the original demo background, but now it's just black (blank).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:31:55 PM by Oliver W »
Woo... Woo.. Woo

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »

The only time I've gotten a black screen is when I put two globals that were the same somewhere or otherwise messed up basic.init.

It could well be a Vista problem.  Did you download the latest file not the beta?

Oliver W

• Lurker
  • Woo Woo Woo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:44 PM »

Yes I have the latest stable version, not the BETA.

I haven't changed any scripts, as far as I know.
Woo... Woo.. Woo

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:33:02 AM »

I can't copy all the contents of the doc I found here somewhere but this might be helpful---I don't know if it still applies or not.  It's pretty old so it might be obsolete---

"Microsoft's new consumer operating system brought many changes related to security and game integration. Both these areas affect game development in WME. This chapter will guide you through all the possible problems and new WME's abilities related to Windows Vista.

Game development WME tools and the engine itself work fine in Windows Vista. There's one possible problem you should be aware of, though. In Windows Vista even if the user has administrative privileges, under normal circumstances the rights are lowered to normal user. This means the user doesn't have write access to the "Program Files" directory. For this reason, do NOT store your WME project folder in Program Files.
When creating a new project in ProjectMan, the project is created in the "Documents" folder by default, which is fine. Unfortunately older versions of WME defaulted to Program Files. Therefore, if your project is in still stored Program Files, and you are intending to upgrade to Windows Vista, please move the entire project folder elsewhere (preferably to your Documents folder), otherwise ProjectMan might fail to compile the game."

---and then goes on to talk about save games.

Oliver W

• Lurker
  • Woo Woo Woo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »

Yes, I've read that already, that's why I moved the project folder to Documents.

ADDED - wow, I just checked out the scripting in WME, I'm totally lost. Even the section in the WME Book Online. Can anyone recommend a better way to learn it? Maybe I should get a book, like a guide to JavaScipt? What do you think?
Woo... Woo.. Woo

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's a form of Java.  I learned C and C++ by using the Dummies series to start--then branched to real textbooks and a class.  There is a lot of stuff on the internet.  You can also study the demo game scripts.  Some things are pretty straightforward--for example -- script for changing scenes.  The best way to learn it is to try to do it, follow the book and the demos.  If you get stuck post your code here and someone will try to help.

You can also read through this forum for code snippets that will help you.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »

There might be a few causes. Mostly I would recommend starting from scratch. There might have been some error you did in the process. So grab the clean version of WME demo, copy it elsewhere and then try to do it again.

About scripting, my only advice is reading very very slowly the scripting chapter and then ask what you didn't understand. WME's language is actually totally easy in comparison with other languages and in your case I believe you just need to get into the right programming mindset. :) Don't worry to ask about anything you don't understand and you'll see that very fast you might overcome your problems.

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.