Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Monkey Island is back!  (Read 11635 times)

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
Monkey Island is back!
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:16:16 AM »

Good News! In case you havent heard already (how could you not?!) another beloved franchise comes back: Monkey Island

And it strikes back in a duo: There comes a Remake, and there are 5 new Episodes from Telltale!

Resources for the Special Edition Remake:
Images, Videos, ...: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/thesecretofmonkeyislandspecialedition/index.html
Official Website: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Tales of Monkey Island - Telltale's New Episodes:
Footage: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/talesofmonkeyisland/index.html
Official Website: http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

What do you think??
Heres my Opinion: I am a big Monkey Island Fan since a child. I loved all of them, except MI4 which for me took with it's 3D graphics the whole atmosphere away that I liked so much. But the real overkill for me was the controls. Now, when I look at Tales of Monkey Island, I receive similiar feelings. Although I have high hopes that, with the big Telltale Name on it, the controls will be fluent and that they make the right thing.

Still, something feels wrong about all this. What can it be? Oh yes, the Characters!
Does anybody else think every Character, and especially Guybrush, looks ... to say it mild, "bad" ? My initial outburst of happyness quickly shifted to a sickness in my stomach as I looked at the new character art... it's horrible.

In any case I prefer the Remake over the new adventures, maybe because of remaining sceptics that Telltale really can handle the franchise. I have more trust in what I already know is great (and unchanged, apart of the interface and graphics) and with the feature of fully remastered music, completely spoken dialogue and, the best of all, the ability to switch back to the oldschool graphics we all love so much, they really got me there. I wish there were such a graphics switch on Telltales game...

Well, that's just me. Tell me about your feelings regarding this.

EDIT: Just a sidenote, LucasArts wants to bring back other good old franchises as well. Highly curious... do you think its a right thing to do, or should these gems rest in peace instead?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:18:20 AM by Darky »

Juan Bonair

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Monkey Island is back!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »

I totally thought this was a joke.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »

I guess Telltale will do a great job. About the characters, I just think Guybrush simply looks older and wiser ;)

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:59:13 AM »

It's about time ey :P
When I first saw this the night of MS conference when it was revealed I almost had a heart attack, I quickly went over to Adventure Gamer and sure enough the game was announced along with the remake.

I have always hoped every year for another Monkey Island game only to be let down year after year until I gave up and out of no where...BANG! it's back and looks better then ever.

Already pre-ordered it, I can't wait.

MI FTW!!

Cheers  ::beer
Myles Blasonato
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

HelLRaiseR

• I don't want to make a Monkey Island clone :(
  • Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »

Does any people play Monkey Island SE (the remake) ?

It's my perception or really it's a very bad remake?

- Bad animation.
- Static cut-scenes.
- Horrible interface

Very good history, good translations (to spanish), good playability, but this things are the same that the original Monkey Island.

One good thing, I think that the graphics are very good (for the remake purposes).

I'm afraid  that all these things have been planned, with the aim of making a remake as faithful as possible, but in my opinion they have ruined.

I never thought that I would say that I've squander my money to buy a game of Monkey Island. Even I don't said it with Monkey Island IV.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:58:36 PM by HelLRaiseR »
Regards,

Fernando

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

Well, this is a strong thing to argue with. Over time I made the observation argueing about it is useless since the opinions differ far too much and it's also kinda useless because LucasArts (and Telltale with the sequel) had such a great success with it so they will just continue like this not giving a shit about the negative opinions from old fans ;) But regardless of that, since you asked I will try:

I don't play it, for similiar reasons as you. I would also add bad voices, I think they are pretty bad. Somehow I don't even like Guybrushs Voice Actor anymore, but when I play for instance MI3 then I totally like him there, so I guess (after all it has been many many years) the voice actor(s) just sound a little different after all that time and do things a little different - in a way that I don't like. To me Monkey Island lost it's charme in both Remake and the Telltale Sequel, but I still enjoy all the old ones very much and it's not like I would fear new things either. I think it's somehow a combination of the people working on the franchise, the modern standards they try to use and the change in target audience (like the Wii Casuals for the Telltale Series) that makes me not getting excited about the art or humour in the new titles, and the Remake shows tinkering with it can easily ruin everything (at least for me). That's all I have to say about this, and of course it's all subjective so no reasons for the lovers of the new stuff to be upset :)

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »

I like them both. About the MISE Interface, you can use STRG and ALT I think to popup a standard verb interface, so it plays really good.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

MrMyro

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

I would also add bad voices, I think they are pretty bad. Somehow I don't even like Guybrushs Voice Actor anymore, but when I play for instance MI3 then I totally like him there, so I guess (after all it has been many many years) the voice actor(s) just sound a little different after all that time and do things a little different - in a way that I don't like.

I know that there are some things that should never change in old games, and that a lot of die-hard fans hate it with re-makes, but I personally have really grown to love Dominic Armato's take on Guybrush. His voice just really makes the character for me now.

I've played the first two eps of the Tales, and I think they're really well made, and definately worth it for lovers of the series, especially if you like MI3.

I have the remake of MI too, but not gotten around to starting it yet. Retro gaming FTW.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.