Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: 2nd competition round  (Read 11455 times)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
2nd competition round
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:26:21 PM »

Hi muties,

UPDATED DATE of the LAST SUBMISSION

thanks to the high demand for another competition round we hereby officially declare the second round.

This time I was forced by WMA to make a rule change so read again:

1. Competitors are to create a short one room game based upon the following theme:

„There is something hidden!“

with the following requirements

a, There's something in the room and you have to find it. What it is or where it is or how you have to find it is entirely up to you.
      b, The most surprising revelation or impact upon finding what's hidden.

2. Jury will consist of Mnemonic, Metamorphium and nihil (who won the last competition round)

3. Jury will grade games on scale from 1 to 5 (5 being the best, 1 being the worst). Game will then receive a number which will be the sum of the three jury members scores.

The big change is that there are no longer thresholds so places are awarded according to score only.

4. Deadline for  the 2nd competition round game submission is 10th of February 2007 23:59.

5. Competitors agree that upon finishing the game, we’ll put their one room game project into the wme codebase repository for others to learn from. If competitors use external plugins, sources of those plugins will be published only upon their agreement.

6. Judged will be:

Quality of the theme realization (dialogs if any, plot twists, ideas)
   Cleanness of the source code
   Creativity in approaching the problem using only small scale means.

Judged will NOT be:

Graphics and other media dependent on non wme skills (sound effects, music, videos)

7. All judges will write, upon reaching the verdict, reasons for their scores together with the scores so authors can clearly see why they were or weren’t selected.

8. All projects must be created for use with WME engine.

9. Projects using ripped graphics / music / sound effects from other commercial games / projects will be disqualified. It’s possible to use free graphics downloaded from internet as long as it’s really free.

10. Games will be submitted into the competition privately via sending PM message to jury members with link to your game or with request of our help how to hand over the project. We’ll publish the games after the deadline will be reached to prevent idea stealing.

11. No tsipuro jokes. Those are copyrighted by the wma team.

12. Although there won’t be any material award, you’ll gain neverending respect of WME community and this can be a great stepping stone for new quality teams building up.

13. By one room we don't mean one WME scene. It can have multiple scenes (closeups, etc.) but it should be "real life" room.

Since many people voiced their wish to participate this time, we hope they will actually do it and our 2nd round will be more competitive. ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:53:11 PM by metamorphium »
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re: 2nd competition round
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »

If anyone wants to join the contest but has no time create graphics, you can of course take those of Beyond the Threshold if they fit your story.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »

Submission time is over. We've received one game for judging.

Contestant: leucome
Game: The Closet

Jury will pass the judgement on saturday 17. 2. 2007

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:12:05 PM by metamorphium »
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »

My verdict for the game "The Closet" submitted by leucome:

First of all I'd like to thank leucome for sharing this piece of code with the community. If this competion was about the interface design,
I'd definitely give The Closet 5 points. This is really great contribution and yet again shows how neatly it can be put together in WME.

Also there really is something hidden and I had to laugh upon the revelation (a year 1979 comes to mind).

Game consists of one room which is splitted into 3 views. You have to perform around 6 actions to open the closet so the playtime is around 4 to 5 minutes. It's bilingual (english, french) and user can choose the language on the fly.

Now I come to the part I don't think works that much. Upon opening the closet you either die or you terminate what's inside. If you die, there's no ending screen, you just switch to the lnguage selection screen. If you survive, your actor says The End. Maybe it could be nice if you rolled in the credits.

But the combat itself is flawed. First I tried to play with mouse and many times the beast got stuck somewhere. Then I tried the direct control (the game supports both models) and player got stuck in the screen 2 just repeatedly calling ChangeScene. Looking at the code how
trap regions for scene changing are handled, it could definitely use some cleaning up and improving.

Another very counterintuitive thing is the mouse driven change view. The region for view change is so small, that it makes going from one screen puzzle in itself. So those things definitely need improving.

Also the gameplay could have been longer, but on the other hand since there is much more than traditional point'n'click implemented, it compensate for a couple more inventory based puzzles for me.

But all in all thanks to so many fresh ideas and many cool WME stuff covered, while maintaining the topic of the competition I give this game 4 points.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:08:26 PM »

Once again, meta provided a thorough analysis of the project leaving little to add. I also encountered the infinite scene-change bug on first play. Then, several deaths later, the alien got stuck in the closet allowing me to kill him with ease. That said, the playability of the fight sequences definitely could use some more refining.
Other than that, I really appreciate that leucome created this minigame, which (as I understand) uses portitions of code from his own game. It's not a typical use of WME and therefore the code and concepts shown here will be very useful to other developers interested in creating Resident Evil style games (I only wish more of the comments in code were in English). The context-sensitive mouse pointer is also a nice touch which I'd like to see more often in games.

All in all, I'm awarding leucome's game with 4 points. It's not perfect, but he actually took the time to contribute and to share his creation with the community for which he deserves big thanks. Thank you, leucome.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »

Oh yes the infamous scenes loop ...  This is the first time i tried automatic loading to allow scene change with the direct control...  And it do not work so well.  I will try do a beter code ..
Look my Site ——► http://news.leucome.ca

SoundGuy

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

Congratz on submitting and winning the competition !

I hope you give us the game and code to learn from soon.

Oded

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »

Hmpf, of course I'm late ... I can see a pattern with me and deadlines :-)

Anyway, here comes my judgement: Meta and Mmemonic already mentioned the few flaws, so I concentrate on the good things :-) The Closet is the answer to all the "can I make a Resident Evil-type game"-threads that pop up in the forum from time to time, and as we could see the answer is yes. In addition to the fighting-stuff and the 2.5d actors it also contains the codes and techniques for savegames with screenshots, multilinguality (although I'm sure that this word doesn't exist ;-) ), context-sensitive mosue-cursor as Mnemonic already mentioned, an own inventory ... so all in all it's a great source of inspiration (and source code :-) ) for all other WME-developers, and that's for me the whole point of the contests.

And so I give the game 4.5 points and declare it as the winner of the contest :-)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

It's as Nihil says:

leucome achieved 1st place with 12.5 points.
Congratulation for your achievment and thanks for contributing to WME community!!!

::beer ::beer ::beer to you ;)

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 02:43:31 AM »

Thanks..

I done some improvents based on your comments..
I will send you the link ... Or maybe i could share it myself? as you wish.

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:44 AM »

You can share it of course :-)

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:29:32 AM »

Ok here the source files of game The closet v2
http://leucome.no-ip.info/files/the_closet_v2_source.zip

And the compiled game
http://leucome.no-ip.info/files/the_closet_v2.zip

The v2 changes

It is easier to survive...
Added a "you died" screen on die
A screen with a little msg when you complete the game and after togle the credits.
Fixed the loading scene loop bug
Translated a couple of things i forgot
Almost completly translated comments in english
Added new comments
And many other script fix and improve

It is not perfect. But it could help anyone who want to make an "action oriented" game or survival horor like Resident evil
and feature a couple of things about rpg too ... Weapons and caracters have the base script for a level and experience system.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

thanks leucome!!!

This is highly appreciated.  ::rock

This will help many others to dwelwe into game creation.  ::thumbup

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »

Excellent job, thank you.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.