Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: [QUESTIONS] WME Questions. First time user.  (Read 3916 times)

VeeBee

• Lurker
    • View Profile
[QUESTIONS] WME Questions. First time user.
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »

Hello everybody. I'm a new user to the Wintermute Engine and so far I've been very impressed by the graphical results of the engine and the capability of 2.5d which i plan to use. However...If I were to create an RPG in WME...I would require the following:

A customizable battle system - First! Is a battle system implementable? If it is, what types of battle systems are available for WME? Is it easy to implement?

Saving using save points - I want an RPG that only allows the player to save at certain points of the game. Does WME support this type of system?

2.5d capabilities - 2.5D means that I can use 2d and 3d right? Would there be any complications if i used 2d sprites in 3d backgrounds?

Finally,

Party System - Does WME support Party Systems in created RPGs?

I'm REAAAALLY new at WME and I really want to learn a lot about it. Right now, I'm reading the Documentation included.

Thanks to those who'd answer my questions!

GO WME!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: [QUESTIONS] WME Questions. First time user.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:29:34 AM »

A customizable battle system - First! Is a battle system implementable? If it is, what types of battle systems are available for WME? Is it easy to implement?

It's definitely possible but not the easiest thing to do. It will require a lot of scripting. Any battle system that uses 2D backgrounds should able to be scripted.

Saving using save points - I want an RPG that only allows the player to save at certain points of the game. Does WME support this type of system?

It's very easy due to the flexible script language.

2.5d capabilities - 2.5D means that I can use 2d and 3d right? Would there be any complications if i used 2d sprites in 3d backgrounds?

2.5D capabilities is a universal term and it means the opposite. Real-time 3D elements (characters, object, etc) on 2D backgrounds.

Again, it's possible but it will require scripting.
fl*p

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »

i do not think wme will be able to do a final fantasy type game.

No idea.. i would like to know as well.. but i think it would be very hard to implement.

Yea... in my game i already use some sequences were saving is diabled and will auto save at a certian point or you click on a save point icon to save. It is a simple matter of scripting the cliclable thing-o-me-gigger to activate the save instead of the default keybinding method in the demos.

Yes.. that is exactly wat WME rules at. Though at the moment it is made for ONLY 2.5D.. this means no animatable camera. Static backdrops (or not so static with partials, video over lays etc etc) with 3D realtime on top of them.. no camera panning or zooming or anything.

This is a adventure game engine.. so just keep that in mind. Though you can have multi actors, with their own inventories etc.. You can do switching of actors.. so mabey have a special kind of inventory that stores characters.. so you can swap to other party members from a button bar.. I have even seen code on this board to have actors follow each other about os you could have them all on screen controlled by a leader character...

Just remember this is an adventure game engine.. NOT a rpg engine. I was also after a sim thing... but settled on WME as it is the best looking engine i could work out how to use. I had to modify my game a lot to work with WME...

Have a look at q-gears or rpgmaker 2000

If you do find a final fantasy engine around the place.. let me know.

Have a look at http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/

i think he also has a full 3d one in dev at the mo...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:01:27 AM by Jyujinkai »
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »

A friend developing a roleplaying game uses RPGMaker for this. I don't know wether it's free, but it's definitely more suitable for the task.
... delete the inner sleep ...

loken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »

As others have said, creating an rpg is within the realm of possibility, but you'd be going against the flow of the game engine. It's just not designed for that.

RPG Maker might be more suited for you, but you could even use Gamemaker (http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/try). It would still require a good deal of programming, but Gamemaker is quite a bit more flexible in terms of the kinds of games it can make. Theres a free, and non-free version (available for commercial use, but only $25)

Another possibility is Novashell (http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/), though it has a ways to go. It's a very visual and cut and paste oriented game maker, but scripting is required (which uses Lua). Though it can make a wide variety of games, it is designed with RPG creation in mind. Novashell is free, and cross platform.
-loken

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.