Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Intro Videos  (Read 26639 times)

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Intro Videos
« on: May 03, 2004, 01:29:12 PM »

I'm just planning an intro-video for my game, and if I put all my ideas in it, I think it will be very long - approx 4-5 minutes.

What do you think, is this too long? Will players lose the interest if they have to watch a long video before they can actually play the game? Or is a longer intro ok (given that the video itself is not totally boring  ;) )

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Intro Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »

Well, personally, I like long intros. But many people don't. Still, if the video is interesting, I don't think it's a big problem.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 01:46:33 PM »

Yes, I like them too.

Then I hope that I'm not the only one who likes my ideas :)
I think I put some good looking women into, so if the story is boring, there is at least something to watch ;)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 01:53:05 PM »

Then I hope that I'm not the only one who likes my ideas :)

I like intros, but some very long really make me mad. At least you should be able to skip it...
But as said here before - it's just a matter of how interesting or boring the video is... good looking girls are a good start, hehe... ;)

How are you planning to do the video though ? (Just curious...)
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 02:05:45 PM »

I like intros, but some very long really make me mad. At least you should be able to skip it...
But as said here before - it's just a matter of how interesting or boring the video is... good looking girls are a good start, hehe... ;)

Yes, ability to skip is very important ... nearly as important as the girls :)

How are you planning to do the video though ? (Just curious...)

You mean technically?
It will be a mix between Blender Animations (already started here, but I have big Problems with crashes in the last time ... I think I have to reinstall Windoze before I can work normally again) and the new DAZ Studio -> a new Program from DAZ3d (the company that does the Poser Models) that can import Poser-Content but works more like a traditional 3d-Software, so you don't have to mess around with the awful Poser-Interface.

Originally I wanted to use Posermodels in Blender, but I never got them imported in a usable way, because a. they are way to big and b. I still don't know anything about armatures and stuff :-)

When the single parts of the Video are finished I put them together with a video editor, I'm not quite sure which one, but I think it will be Magix Video Maker 2004 (or something like this, I forgot the whole name). A working mate of me uses it and he said it's both easy to use and powerful (and it comes with a huge soundlibrary which is very useful for me since I don't have the ability to record my own sounds and stuff).

All I now need is a faster PC ... rendering bigger animations takes forever on my old machine :(

So

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 02:17:06 PM »

My advise is: add voices if you can, It's less boring to listen to the characters talk than having to read in the video, and morevoer, if you're reding, you can lose some of the action.

Click here to sign my sig!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 02:26:05 PM »

Yes, thats true, but impossible for me I think.
I think, if you use voices, they must be done well, then they add a lot of atmosphere to the game, but if they are done bad they destroy it. And therefore you need professionel speakers who know how to do this job ... and that costs a lot of money :-(

I think, I add a few more girls instead  ;D
And some good looking men for the female players  ;)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 02:39:07 PM »

I love EXTREMELY LONG intros.

I good idea is to divide long intros into smaller parts. Think about "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". It has one of the smartest intros I have seen, because it's.... playable!!!  ;D

I think, I add a few more girls instead
fl*p

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 02:47:39 PM »

I love EXTREMELY LONG intros.

I good idea is to divide long intros into smaller parts. Think about "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". It has one of the smartest intros I have seen, because it's.... playable!!!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 02:58:40 PM »

Hmm ... it's ages ago since I played it ... how was that done?

The playes just had to move indy around and click on some items for "something" to happen and then continue with the intro!!! It was a really smart ideas. One of those that you don't see to often nowdays.

But I have just decided to put a part of the intro into a later part of the game so that the player does not know too much of whats happening, and the intro itself would be a bit shorter that way.

That's a smart move. Go for it.
fl*p

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 03:10:23 PM »

The playes just had to move indy around and click on some items for "something" to happen and then continue with the intro!!! It was a really smart ideas. One of those that you don't see to often nowdays.

That does indeed sound good.
Maybe in my next game  ;)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 04:22:32 PM »

Yes, ability to skip is very important ... nearly as important as the girls :)

I'm currently playing "The Westerner" (well, about 10 minutes every day... ugh) and it took me ages to find out, that you can abort cutscenes and dialogues with the "End" key. It was REALLY necessary. :))

It will be a mix between Blender Animations (already started here, but I have big Problems with crashes in the last time ... I think I have to reinstall Windoze before I can work normally again) and the new DAZ Studio -> a new Program from DAZ3d (the company that does the Poser Models) that can import Poser-Content but works more like a traditional 3d-Software, so you don't have to mess around with the awful Poser-Interface.

Sounds good, didn't hear about it yet though. I'm very curious about the Blender parts of course. :))

All I now need is a faster PC ... rendering bigger animations takes forever on my old machine :(

Hm, my PC is not too slow, enough RAM, etc.... i takes ages anyway, don't hope too much. ;)
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 08:08:34 PM »

I'm currently playing "The Westerner" (well, about 10 minutes every day... ugh) and it took me ages to find out, that you can abort cutscenes and dialogues with the "End" key. It was REALLY necessary. :))

The END-Key??? Ok .... hm ... let me see ... I think, I will use a CTRL-Page-down-F7 combination for skipping - which you have to confirm by clocking on an invisible OK-Button that appears somewhere on the Screen :)

Sounds good, didn't hear about it yet though. I'm very curious about the Blender parts of course. :))

The Daz-Studio is in the Beta-Phase right now, it looks ok so far ... besides some typical Beta-Phase-Bugs

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 10:17:45 PM »

Good news, I just installed the new Blender 2.33 and it renders my ocean without any crashes!
The bad news is that my ocean looks like moving plastic  :D

Still a lot to do I think ...

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 04:17:22 AM »

I always used to love games with long (and good) intros. It doesn't matter of the style, it could be ingame graphics, a rendered video. It just have to be catching and visually fit to the game.

For me the most important thing besides being able to skip the intro was that when you started playing the game that the intro doesn't come up every time you start the game.
So either check if the intro has already been played once or if a savegame exists.
For those who want to watch the intro again they can choose so from a menu.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.