Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New download! :-)  (Read 17650 times)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
New download! :-)
« on: November 09, 2003, 12:52:30 AM »

Hiya Wintermutees!

Yeah, I'm alive and back. And even better - I'm back working on our adventure game!  ;D

Today we finally decided to continue that orchestra style for most of our game music - and I found some hours to create a first musical sketch for a planned game part today, too. It's not finished yet and not mastered at all, but that's why it's called sketch. ;)

So what - download those 1:22 minutes. I recommend to adjust the volume to "as-loud-as-in-the-cinema", heh! :)

Check this! (1.28 MB)

Comments are welcome.

Greetings, Jerrot.

EDIT: new link
EDIT: new link - again!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:38:28 PM by Jerrot »
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:New download! :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 08:58:13 AM »

Wow, Jerrot, judging by the music, the game's gonna have a very "heavy" atmosphere, isn't it? :)

Good to hear you're back and working on the game!
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 01:18:49 PM »

Wow, Jerrot, judging by the music, the game's gonna have a very "heavy" atmosphere, isn't it? :)

Welllllll.......... maybe ?! ;)
Nah, I guess the game won't be more "heavy" than e.g. Broken Sword finally, but this music will be part of a cutscene (most probably the introduction) and it's not about farting kiddies, but quite "serious", indeed.  :)
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 01:24:02 PM »

Hiya Wintermutees!

Yeah, I'm alive and back. And even better - I'm back working on our adventure game!  ;D

Welcome back!

(I can't download the file now, but I'll comment about it later.)
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 03:11:55 PM »

If the game has the same quality as the music, it will be surely worth viewing!! Really good work!

Click here to sign my sig!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 07:30:39 PM »

Great music for an adventure game Jerrot!!! It's so good that I am going to hire you as a music artist for dreams!  ;D

Oh... and one small not-music related suggestion. You are using a really old version of Ogg Vorbis encoder (beta3). Maybe you should update it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 07:32:11 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 10:59:53 PM »

I was VERY skeptical at first, considering i've download some people's temporary pieces, but after listening to it I must say it's very excellent. (I could use it for my game - lol - but I won't ;-)

I'm curious what did you use to make it? as far as sound equipment, software, and so on?

Also can you give us a hint as to what the story is going to be about?

Keith
--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!
--------------------------------------------

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 12:24:39 AM »

Hi and thanks @all!

If the game has the same quality as the music, it will be surely worth viewing!! Really good work!

Heh. In fact that's my main fear... while the story should work fine with it, I still don't know how to make graphics, that fit to story (and music!). The comic style won't work anymore, so I've to practice to become a 3D-hero. Or find some 3D-hero. ;) Actually I can't think of doing this game without 3D rendered backgrounds and cutscenes anymore.

Great music for an adventure game Jerrot!!! It's so good that I am going to hire you as a music artist for dreams!  ;D

Oh... and one small not-music related suggestion. You are using a really old version of Ogg Vorbis encoder (beta3). Maybe you should update it.

I'm sure, "dreams" will become totally different, but I love to try new things, so let's see what happens. :)

About that Encoder version... well... I just used some built-in function of some wave-editor, but ok, I'll do it manually next time.

I'm curious what did you use to make it? as far as sound equipment, software, and so on?

Nothing special actually, just a computer and some sound card (well, an Audigy2, but that's not important at all...).

I composed it just by writing a MIDI track and giving the channels some good working (VST) instruments and parts of imported SoundFont-Banks, that's all. A friend and professional musician showed me his new CubaseSX 2 version and I wrote the MIDI track and the final orchestral version there in a few hours. Oh ok, and some little mastering (wider stereo field) was done with... I guess it was CoolEdit Pro, but should work with every wave editor.

Well, I know my wishes for christmas now! ;D

Not too much. :) It's quite difficult to tell something about the story without destroying it, and I don't want to... but I'll think about a little introduction text, at least when the homepage comes - which will be after the first finished screens - which could be in years... *sigh*  :P
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 02:20:44 AM »

I'm sure, "dreams" will become totally different, but I love to try new things, so let's see what happens. :)

Is this a "yes"? If it is then you are hired...  ;D ;D ;D

Not too much. :) It's quite difficult to tell something about the story without destroying it, and I don't want to... but I'll think about a little introduction text, at least when the homepage comes - which will be after the first finished screens - which could be in years... *sigh*  :P

There is no way to convince Jerrot to reveal anything about his game's plot  :) And trust me when I am saying this! I have tried many times in the past months  ;D
fl*p

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: New download! :-)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 11:33:29 AM »

Hi Jerrot,

nice track. I have a few comments though. :)

1, The piece is slightly unfocused. Too much is happening in a very short time. At first the minor-major transition which came after first four bars doesnt really work. It is not related to anything later in the track.

2, Strings with eigths notes are good, but I somehow miss some ground there. (maybe double basses with pizzicatos accenting the beats could work here well)

3, You should spent some time bringing some small irregularities especially to the drums. Small details are what really counts when listening to soundtracks.

4, I would consider using better sound libraries but then I am deformed from VSL. :)

5, When I listen to the piece it feels very "boxed". 8 bars of this, 8 bars of that etc. Sometimes it is a good idea to make some layer above to create more fluent feeling.

I hope you find my comments at least a bit constructive and hope to hear some new version.

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 11:34:55 AM »

Oh hell, this thread is one year old.  ;D
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 02:39:27 PM »

Hey Metamorphium,

heh, that thread is some days old indeed. :) Anyway it's great to read some musician with comments for me. Actually I didn't touch that track anymore and I'd consider it as one of my first tests meanwhile. Anyway its concept is still on hold for my project, so I appreciate your detailled comments.

1, The piece is slightly unfocused. Too much is happening in a very short time. At first the minor-major transition which came after first four bars doesnt really work. It is not related to anything later in the track.

True - and it can't. This track is the background for the introduction (think of it as some cutscene) and indeed there IS happening a lot in very short time. That transition you refer to is by design and synchronized with a detail happening in the concepted movie you will see while listening that part. A good point, but it's meant to be that way.

2, Strings with eigths notes are good, but I somehow miss some ground there. (maybe double basses with pizzicatos accenting the beats could work here well)

My, you really have good ears. Most time you hardly can hear those strings but in the last part of course. More ground there would IMHO overload it there though, but I'll check it out. :)

3, You should spent some time bringing some small irregularities especially to the drums. Small details are what really counts when listening to soundtracks.

The choir sample was very bad, it was my favorite last year though...duh! And the (automated) drums simply suck and will be substituted completely, I wonder it took a year somebody heard that...

4, I would consider using better sound libraries but then I am deformed from VSL. :)

Using Opus 1 you surely are. :) Unfortunately I didn't have the possibillity (nor the money, ugh!) to check it out for myself. And you won't reach such a great dynamic with sound libraries. And on second - it's not mastered very well...

5, When I listen to the piece it feels very "boxed". 8 bars of this, 8 bars of that etc. Sometimes it is a good idea to make some layer above to create more fluent feeling.

Absolutely - but I'm no pro (yet) :) ! Anyway - relistening this after almost one year now, I get completely new ideas about how to make many things better and I'll surely fall back to this thread when I finally find the time to work on it again. Thanks a lot!!  ;D

Jerrot.
Mooh!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »

PS: any chance to hear some samples from you (and opus) ? :)
Mooh!

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »

PS: any chance to hear some samples from you (and opus) ? :)

Well, you can definitely play Dark Fall 2: Lights Out. I wrote a title track for this game and it uses VSL. :)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »

Put the track there:

http://www.jamu.cz/kavan/darkfall4.mp3

The alto flute is from different sound library though.

Also another sample of my work with VSL. This one would need some more work, it's just a sketch though.

http://www.jamu.cz/kavan/paradise/lpelectric.mp3
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:09:48 PM by metamorphium »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.