Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: making stupid combination's with items.  (Read 5050 times)

ShadowBB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
making stupid combination's with items.
« on: February 03, 2005, 02:22:25 AM »

Use the pencil on the dead cat....

I have spend the last 18 hours of my life  :o :P :-X coding responses for EVERY combination in my game so far.

Now my question to you. Was it worth it? Are there players stupid/crazy/people with to many time on there hands/etc. out there who are going to try them all out just to hear the (mostly) funny responses of the main charracter? And whould you do it for your game?

Tip for doing this the fast way:
Make a Template code where you code like this:

Code: [Select]
#include "scripts\base.inc"
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "LookAt"
{
  actor.Talk("");
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "Take"
{
  Game.SelectedItem = "item";
}
on "Talk"
{
  actor.Talk("");
}
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
on "itemA"
{
  actor.Talk("");
}
on "itemB"
{
  actor.Talk("");
}
ETC ETC ETC.
Put it in every item and every interactive object in the game and build the rest of the code around it. This way you are sure you won't forget anything.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: making stupid combination's with items.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 09:52:52 AM »

IMHO it's not worth the effort handling ALL the possible combinations. Sure, it gets boring if the character keeps telling you "I can't do that" all the time, but I think handling only some significant and *meaningful* combinations would be enough. And possibly the ones that can be funny or interesting in some way. For example in Five magical amulets the game handles using a knife and a dead worm on all the other characters, just because it's funny walking around, offering them the worm and seeing their mixed reactions :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

ShadowBB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 10:25:13 AM »

Whell my artist where all lagging behind me anyway  :D So I hade some time on my hands (and lack of sleep). And the game is not going to grow that much (in file size) from code alone anyway.

Now how to get the voice acting done for all those responses   :-X

RavenDamara

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 02:51:25 AM »

lmao I just thinking about this.

I guess it depends on what kind of game you want, you know if you want a game full of funny comments from the character for everything then I guess yes but it sounds like a lot of work.  I think concentrating on the more obvious combinations should do.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.