Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Subtitles disappearing when changing scenes  (Read 2653 times)

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
Subtitles disappearing when changing scenes
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »

I have this (slight) problem with subtitles. When a subtitle is displayed upon using the Talk command, it is interrupted as soon as another scene is loaded. So let's say that I have a closeup scene of something. I look at something in the closeup, which triggers a comment, with its subtitle. I have set the subtitle to be displayed for 3 seconds. However, if I get out of the closeup scene 1 second after the subtitle line is triggered, the subtitle will disappear. This is no biggie, but I was wondering if there is any way around it?

Thanks!

Mikael

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Subtitles disappearing when changing scenes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:38:31 PM »

This is by design. The game resets the state of all actors/entities on scene transition, so it also resets your talking entity. I can think of only one way how to work around it; not using the built-in Talk method, but displaying the captions in a window instead.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

TheDerman

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »

Set the game.interactive=false; before the talk so that then the player cannot leave the scene until the dialogue is over with. But, they can still left click (or right click) to get out of the dialogue early, so they won't be forced to sit through the 3 seconds, if they don't want to.

I'd think it quite strange to change to a new scene, but still have dialogue left over from a previous scene.

Hope that helps.

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »

Thanks. The Derman, I had actually been thinking about something like that. Weather it's strange or not depends on the situation, I guess.

Mikael

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.