Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: WME 1.2 Build 043  (Read 20371 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
WME 1.2 Build 043
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:42:58 PM »

Good news everyone,

here's another major WME update.

WME update: http://www.dead-code.org/download/wme_build_043.exe (3.9MB)
Updated documentation: http://www.dead-code.org/download/wme.chm (2.8MB)

Enjoy! ;)

(Note 1: you must have the WME DevKit installed prior to installing this patch)
(Note 2: saved games are incompatible with previous releases)

Version 1.2, build 043 (April 25, 2004)

• The Game.PlayMusic() now has an optional parameter specifying the start point for music looping.
  • New Game.GetMusic() method which returns the filename of currently playing music.
  • New Actor.IsWalking() method.
  • Dynamic object creation. Game, Scene and Window objects now allow dynamic creation of entities, inventory items and controls.
  • New AlphaColor attribute for Windows. You can set color and transparency for the entire window and its content.
  • Scriptable sprites. Sprites now can have a script attached, controlling sprite, frame and sub-frame attributes and animation flow at runtime.
  • Multi-channel music. WME now supports up to five music channels, including cross-fading between two playing channels.
  • Animated fonts. Font image is no longer limited to a static bitmap, now it also accepts sprites.
  • The inventory items are now fully scriptable objects, they can even talk (yes! you can now create a talking frog in the inventory ;)
  • The inventory items now can display an amount.
  • New Game.PrevSceneFilename attribute.
  • Actors and entities now can have their own private inventories.
  • New Game.DeleteItem() method, which removes an inventory item from the game permanently.
  • New Scene.IsScolling() method.
  • Save/load progress indicator (configurable in ProjectMan)
  • Regions are now receiving ActorEntry and ActorLeave events.
  • New Game.Reset() method which clears global variables, scene and response states and inventories.
  • New Window.PauseMusic attribute which specifies if a system exclusive window pauses music playback.
  • New Game.OpenDocument() method which opens a document file in an associated Windows program.
  • New Game.WindowedMode attribute.
  • New Game.GetResponsesWindow() method.
  • You can now define a "walk to" point for scene objects in SceneEdit. This point works in conjunction with the new Actor.GoToObject() method.
  • SceneEdit now automatically generates scripts for newly added scene objects.
  • Scene states now include last sprites, cursors and alpha color of scene objects between two scene visits.
  • New Game.SystemFadeOut() and Game.SystemFadeIn() methods, working even in system exclusive mode.
  • Some other new attributes, methods and lots of minor changes, see the documentation for further details.
  • Updated documentation.
  • Updated WME demo.
  • BUGFIX: Compiling multiple packages sometimes didn't work correctly.
  • BUGFIX: Scaled actors didn't correctly adjust vertical speed according to scene scaling.
  • BUGFIX: Paused sounds are now correctly restored when the game leaves system exclusive mode.
  • BUGFIX: The FadeOut method starts from a current fade value, not from zero.
  • BUGFIX: Crash bug in iconic responses.

EDIT: Uploaded a new build with some minor bugfixes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 07:19:28 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

MMR

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
  • http://mmrdeveloper.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
    • TinyWME
Re: WME 1.2 Build 042
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 10:58:49 PM »

Mnemonic, as always, you did a GREAT job!!!

I notice you've used a new icon for the installation package. It's like a moon ???
The documentation now covers almost every aspect of WME (btw: thanks for the font tutorial mention ;) )

Finally I played around with the new demo and I really like the music :D it's cool!

Note: I see you've include the alternative non-freezable fader  :o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 11:01:10 PM by MMR »

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 11:14:18 PM »

Hooray! Downloading right away :) It will take some time tough. Can't wait to try the new features and see the new WME demo!

Click here to sign my sig!

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 11:40:14 PM »

Thanks a lot! Good work :). I'll try it as soon as I manage to find the time. Can't wait!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 10:25:23 AM »

This update rocks so much!
Mooh!

MMR

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
  • http://mmrdeveloper.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
    • TinyWME
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:17:34 PM »

WME demo: the flashing sign doesn't affect Molly as it should when the light is off
WME demo: the fan sound doesn't pause when opening the Main Menu window
ProjectMan doesn't open a project when you doubleclick it in the Windows Explorer (and it crashes when quitting afterwards)

Yep I've noticed the same glitches. But they're minor bugs indeed.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re: WME 1.2 Build 043
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 07:21:05 PM »

I have uploaded a fixed version.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 01:28:24 AM »

I'm glad to report that everything I asked for regarding the responses window and the iconic responses, everything is now fully functional in my test using the new build 043. The iconic responses bar now slides up from the bottom of the screen, the cursor changes to the interactive cursor whenever it is on top of any of the iconic responses and also I have a label at the top of the screen now displaying the caption of the iconic responses entered using the Game.AddResponse() method. Everything works flawlessly! Great work! :)

One small thing, I think there is an error in the name of the method you exposed for getting the reference to the responses window. The new method Game.GetResponsesWindow() does not work. The method Game.GetResponseWindow() (without the plural "s" in Response), however, does work. If you're gonna fix this, I think the final name should be as you stated in the documentation (with the "s"), and not as it is currently exposed.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:50 AM »

Oops :-[ I'll add the right name in the next release, so that both of them work (for backward compatibility).

btw Daniel, did you notice you can now add hover and pressed images for the response icons? :)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:30:11 AM »

btw Daniel, did you notice you can now add hover and pressed images for the response icons? :)
No, as a matter of fact, I usually become aware of new features by reading the version history (or the "what's new") but it wasn't mentioned over there. I ran to the new documentation, however, as soon as I read your post and there it was! Haven't tested it yet but it seems great. Small touches like these are what's making a professional engine even more professional. Great! :)

I'll add the right name in the next release, so that both of them work (for backward compatibility).
Keeping backward compatibility with an undocumented bug seems kind of excessive to me. I mean, since the currently working method is not documented, no one will be using it. In fact, as you said yourself, I seem to be the only one working with this kind of responses window manipulation. All that everyone should know is that the documented method doesn't work because of a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. That's it. Why clutter your code with that? But, of course, it's only my opinion. It's your code and your decision after all.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 12:02:05 PM »

Keeping backward compatibility with an undocumented bug seems kind of excessive to me. I mean, since the currently working method is not documented, no one will be using it. In fact, as you said yourself, I seem to be the only one working with this kind of responses window manipulation. All that everyone should know is that the documented method doesn't work because of a known bug that will be fixed in the next release. That's it. Why clutter your code with that? But, of course, it's only my opinion. It's your code and your decision after all.

Hehe, yes, you're right, of course :) I just hate to break anyone's code because of *my* mistakes. In these cases I usually mark such method as obsolete (it will write a warning to the log if you use it) and I can remove it later.

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 05:51:39 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS! that upddates are great; specialy the New Game.PrevSceneFilename attribute.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 07:05:12 PM by DREAMWEB »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 07:52:36 PM »

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 02:19:57 PM »

It's easy to reply to this tread.

Thanks!
fl*p

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 08:41:40 AM »

Thanks! Just one thing: that Documentation file seems to be corrupt.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.