Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Poll

Do you think the main hero should be able to die in an adventure game?

Sure, unexpected death all the way, just like the old Sierra games, bwahaha!
- 5 (11.4%)
No way! No dying at all! Never! (Monkey Island, TLJ)
- 15 (34.1%)
Only sometimes, when it makes sense, unexpectedly and maliciously (The Black Mirror)
- 2 (4.5%)
Only sometimes, when it makes sense, and the game has to warn the player (Gabriel Knight)
- 10 (22.7%)
Only sometimes, when it makes sense, and the player must be able to repeat the critical sequence (Tex Murphy)
- 6 (13.6%)
Unexpectedly and maliciously, but the game has to auto-save before the critical part (Prisoner of Ice)
- 6 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Killing the main hero?  (Read 16738 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Killing the main hero?
« on: October 11, 2003, 01:02:17 PM »

Inspired by a poll on another server, I decided to post a similar question here. So what do you think?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re:Killing the main hero?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 01:11:38 PM »

I choose the "Gabriel Knight" option like you. But I really think that it depends on the game. For example the "immortal character" works pretty well in games like Monkey Island, Day of the tentacle etc. On the other hand an immortal character in GK series would be very stupid.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 01:16:59 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 01:22:38 PM »

Yeah, sure. I just want to find out what's the overall preference.

JNSFBI: I hate you! ;D
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

jnsfbi

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • offstudio.cz
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 01:27:49 PM »

Yeah, sure. I just want to find out what's the overall preference.

Mnemonic: Thanks:) I love u too:))
Olga Fabry - jnsfbi
http://offstudio.cz
http://helgagame.com
http://jns.offstudio.cz/blok2/ - blok nejen o vývoji her

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 08:09:38 PM »

I voted never-dying.  However I suppose in context of a particular story, as long as it's not all the time.  Really it makes your game frustrating if you have to spend a whole bunch of time redoing a particular puzzle because you died.  So I suppose you'd have to design as the tip of a branch in a sequence... that is the last thing you play in a particular line of story... Like a sort of dead-end only when they get to the point an succeed (don't die) they get to have an item that they need for the rest of the story but that doesn't actually branch out into a path all it's own.

just my 2c
--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!
--------------------------------------------

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 02:14:36 PM »

Mnemonic: Thanks:) I love u too:))

:o  Mnemonic is very rarely at the irc channel currently, especially in the evenings... hmmm... as our Spanish friends would say: "okis!" ;D (In fact they would say other things, but I don't want to use them here. ;) !)

PS: I voted for the immortal option, since it worked great for most LucasArts games. But I guess that choice is in connection with my preferred story lines as already commented here.
Mooh!

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 02:31:30 AM »

I selected the Gabriel Knight option. It should be something the player is aware of well before it becomes an issue, should be used extremely sparingly, and should only be used in the literary context of a very well developed story.

Consider that there are a handful of classic novels and a few great films in which the main character dies, but they are few and far between, and the story leads up to it very carefully and deliberately.

In fact, it should be so critical to the story that averting it simply should not be an option. One critical purpose of an adventure game should be to evoke a deep emotional connection to the main character; iIf death is part of the story, it should be to evoke an emotional response from the player, and should be followed through. If the character is to come back to life, this too should occur as part of the course of the story -- not by re-loading an from an automated quicksave slot.

All my personal opinions, of course. ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:31:46 AM by irbrian »

toxicTom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Vault 13
Re: Killing the main hero?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 02:51:42 PM »

I also selected the GK-option, although it always depends on the game. A cartoonish/fairytale kind of game should most of the time have "immortal" heroes. But a dark, sinsister game should be able to kill the hero - danger is part (and the fun) of the story. The "sudden death" method is the least favourable for me. Although it could still make sense, if you make a game like "Zork - Grand Inquisitor" where dying in hundreds of different ways is lots of fun. But in that case the player should be aware of the risk and be motivated to save game accordingly (if you don't favor autosave).
Still, in a serious game, where killing the hero is no funny element, the player shouldn't be frustrated by unforeseen death of his character. There should be a warning, something that tells the player: "It's getting dangerous, better save now.". Or: "You've been poisoned (autosave). You have three "actions" before you die".
And me without a spoon...

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 10:17:39 AM »

Even if I don't like dying in games, I definitely had to choose the first option. It was the best option available.  >:D
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 10:54:37 PM »

Actually the only thing that REALLY sucks about dying in a game is, how far do I have to go back to reach the same point that I just reached short before dying.
Meaning if you forgot to save for more than an hour of playing, it really sucks having to replay all of that.

So I would recommend to either have some automatic saving at the moment you make a wrong decision or the option when you die to jump back short before.
And also the only thing that annoys me when playing an adventure is when you make a wrong move and first after half a day of playing you find out that because of that you can't finish the game anymore ;-)

The Book

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:28:02 PM »

In my opinion death of protagonist can be used in two ways in the story. In the first case, when he or she dies before the ending, it can serve as a plot twist - as other character can take his/hers place (via "Demon's Tomb"). In the second case the main character dies when the game ends - which doesn't necessarily mean the ending is tragic per se, for his death can serve some higher purpose.

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »

You can also use the main character as merely a vessel for telling a story. I'm trying to do that...

candle

• Amature Game Maker
  • Lurker
  • Game Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

I'm going to make it so at the end of the adventure the main person dies . heros don't always make it ..  >:D

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 07:47:04 PM »

I'm going to make it so at the end of the adventure the main person dies . heros don't always make it ..  Evil

Just hope the information you have just given away in advance will not spoil the game....  :P

candle

• Amature Game Maker
  • Lurker
  • Game Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 10:36:49 PM »

Oh my didn't think about that . lol
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 27 queries.