Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: WME 1.3  (Read 34074 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: WME 1.3
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2004, 07:08:17 PM »

:D  Once again, you've made my day. 
My desktop crashed when picking up the teapot - might be the drivers, I'll try again.  My laptop played perfectly (PIII - 500!) though the text was garbled to illegibility.
Cheers!
Hm, interesting. Does it crash everytime of was it a random crash? And can I please see a screenshot of the distorted font? What video chip does the laptop use? Thanks :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Hobie-wan

• Lurker
  • I was gonna be apathetic, but, eh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 02:47:41 AM »

It's a Savage S3 - it's not "modern" but it was around the same generation as a TNT2, If I'm not mistaken.
I'll email the image to wme@dead-code.org

I'm pretty sure the crashing is my computer - It's been crashing recently when using my GFX card (GeforceFX 5900 Ultra)

Thanks!

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
  • FORGET REALITY SURRENDER TO YOUR DARKEST DREAMS
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 01:11:02 PM »

Is there a list of what the new update contains and their uses??

Thanks
 >:D
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2004, 01:39:48 PM »

Is there a list of what the new update contains and their uses??

Ehhhmmm.... it's exactly THIS thread, first entry ?! :)
Usage is in the updated documentation (this thread, first entry! ;) !)
Mooh!

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 01:43:07 PM »

Yes I know its in the documentation, but where does it say that they are new commands because of the update?
Seeing as the documentation has 100`s of commands and I have not used all of them Its a bit vague.

Also it does not say where to use the commands, what script etc, Very annoying.
kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 02:08:24 PM »

Yes I know its in the documentation, but where does it say that they are new commands because of the update?
Seeing as the documentation has 100`s of commands and I have not used all of them Its a bit vague.

*hem* Again - it's in THIS thread.  ??? :)
I quote it for you:

Version 1.3 (November 30, 2004)

* experimental support for real-time 3D characters; this new functionality is too complex to be described here so please take a look at the "3D characters support" chapter in the documentation; if you have any comments or suggestions, post them here
    * new technology demo demonstrating the 3D characters; you can download the compiled demo here (3.6MB), sources are part of the WME distribution package
    * new Game.SetWaitCursor() method and other methods for querying and setting the non-interactive cursor
    * new GetImage() family of methods for GUI controls
    * the tools no longer change global volume at startup
    * several bugfixes

So - that's what it means:
1) there are new commands for the 3D characters. Since they were introduced, ALL 3d character commands are new. you find them separated in the script language reference ("3d actor object") plus its usage ("inside a game -> 3d character support").

2) new commands "Game.SetWaitCursor()" and GetImage()

That's it !?!

Also it does not say where to use the commands, what script etc, Very annoying.

Well - just whereever you need it, there is no necessary location for it to place it into. You can set the WaitCursor anywhere, but probably you would do so once in the "game.script", I guess that's the answer you are missing ?

And GetImage - the same, whereever you need to use that function, they are global.

Am I misunderstanding you or was that of help for you ?
Mooh!

SBOVIS

• Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • LIMBO of the LOST
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2004, 02:11:54 PM »

oh I see sorry, I thought it was an update with quite a few changes that were listed on the wishlist.
Sorry got the wrong end of the stick.

I still think there should be more explanation on the commands, how to use them etc, in what scenario, examples etc, more tutorials etc.

But thanks for the help.

kind Regards
Steve Bovis
MAJESTIC STUDIOS

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2004, 04:33:55 PM »

It's a Savage S3 - it's not "modern" but it was around the same generation as a TNT2, If I'm not mistaken.
I'll email the image to wme@dead-code.org
This has been reported before and appears to be an S3 driver issue. There is probably some incompatibility with DirectX 8.1, where texture coordinates are incorrectly interpreted by the video card (OpenGL is said to work ok). You can try installing latest drivers but I'm not sure it helps..
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 02:38:10 PM »

This has been reported before and appears to be an S3 driver issue. There is probably some incompatibility with DirectX 8.1, where texture coordinates are incorrectly interpreted by the video card (OpenGL is said to work ok).
For that reason I think that was better OpenGL, and especially because that S3 video Card (that came onboard) is very popular, generally in the non-gamers computers.
And other Test I did was with 3D Studio Max; it was much, much faster with the latest OpenGL that DirectX; I don't know if this is applicable to everything, but OpenGL under 3DS Max was considerably better in image quality and speed.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 08:38:33 PM »

For that reason I think that was better OpenGL, and especially because that S3 video Card (that came onboard) is very popular, generally in the non-gamers computers.

Depends on the card and its drivers, not on the standard itself imho - not too much at least. I don't see OpenGL being the better solution at all, as long as it doesn't come to portability. My last video card slowed down every application about 50% when using OpenGL mode. But this is just ONE example again - nothing general.

But about S3 - well I understand you would love to see a OpenGL version, just because your laptop might work with it then, but seriously - S3 will simply die. (I'm evil, I know ;) !) Why else aren't there better working drivers already, after all it's not really a bug of *all* those applications which are not running fine on S3. It's just my view of it, I've got no idea if they still produce them. (If so - tell the manufacturers they shouldn't! :))
Mooh!

DREAMWEB

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2004, 06:16:31 PM »

Unfortunately I haven’t a Laptop , but a lot of friends of mine have a computer with the 3D onboard card that is also very popular in Argentina. So, the distribution of a game made with WME is limited here.

Nemo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2004, 10:17:22 AM »

Hey,

great new update - well not so new anymore but for me it is :)
I just love what you have accomplished so far mmnemonic ::thumbup

One thing - i notice very high CPU activity running the new Demo-Game. I dont really understand what could cause this amount of load on the CPU regarding the Demo-Game.
Are you aware of this/ working on a fix(if it can be fixed)?

You have my deepest gratitude for bringing this fantastic engine to life.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2004, 10:57:28 AM »

One thing - i notice very high CPU activity running the new Demo-Game. I dont really understand what could cause this amount of load on the CPU regarding the Demo-Game.
Are you aware of this/ working on a fix(if it can be fixed)?
This is normal for games, because they keep updating XX times per second. It shouldn't really matter, since they run exclusively anyway, and if you alt+tab away from WME, it stops updating and frees the CPU again.
But the truth is, I could move some of the 3D-related CPU load to videocard (if it supports hardware transform & lighting).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.