Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: "the cube" movie topic  (Read 9142 times)

Drax

• Occasional poster
  • This engine rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Ganja Joe - And the myth of the holy pot
"the cube" movie topic
« on: January 18, 2005, 09:17:42 AM »

hi all,
has anybody seen the movie "the cube"?

I have seen it some weeks ago and I think it would be a nice topic for an adventure game. The innercubes whith the traps. The numbersystem an the moving rooms. If you haven't seen it: It's worth to watch it.

What do you think?

Because im already working on Ganja Joe it wouldn't be possible for me,
but maybe someone is searching for a topic.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:23:32 AM by DraX »
I'm Lost!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Re: "the cube" movie topic
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:05:41 PM »

I've seen the first and the second (Hypercube). And specting to see the third, though I've been said it's a big joke compared to the past two.

IMHO the game would be too boring and tedious to play. All the time same rooms... the only novelty thing would be finding new peoples or objects gathered trough the rooms, wich is not much I think. There would be almost no talking, unless you plan to feature a team as in the movie, About the numbers thing, it would be just too difficult for the non-mathematic. It's ok for a movie as it's not us who must think :) but not for a game, wich must be playable by as many people as possible (without making it stupidly easy of course). And what about the puzzles? In the movie, there's not much interaction... just thinking about how to move forward in the cube to get out, avoiding the traps, and that's all about mathematics. There was no other puzzle in the movie I think.

I think there are ideas and stories wich are ok or even great for movies, but not really for games. The opposite case is is possible as well (for example, a movie of Sanitarium would be awful IMHO).

Of course if you already have an idea of how to make an interesting and playable adventure out of something like Cube, I would be very interested in reading it :)

Click here to sign my sig!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:47:27 PM »

Hiya,

I've seen the first and the second (Hypercube). And specting to see the third, though I've been said it's a big joke compared to the past two.

There are sequels to it ? Wow, I've got to check out if they are available here...

IMHO the game would be too boring and tedious to play. All the time same rooms...
too difficult for the non-mathematic.

As much as I appreciated the movie - I've got to agree with McCoy. Although they try to solve some puzzle all the time, the story is quite thin - IMHO definitely too thin for an adventure.

I like the idea anyway, but I guess you'd have to expand the story a lot...
Anyway I'm happy to see, you're still working on Ganja Joe. I want to continue playing it... :)
Mooh!

Drax

• Occasional poster
  • This engine rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »

you're right that the complete adaption of the movie would be a little bit boring.

But if you'll create some more things in that story? You can do a lot things with the different skills of the carachters by using them like a team. Your don't have to include this primnumbers but making an easier number quest.
Maybe include something with the color of the rooms. Giving some inventory things more to finally get out.

Redesigning that room prinzip, that the rooms are not the same all the time?

Maybe there's a possability to get it to and game-filling story, or create it as a short advanture.

It was just an idea. :-\

Have to watch the sequels, too. Nice to know that there are more.

What about unite the 3 movies in one game? Or just the first and the second if the third is such bad?

I'm Lost!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »

HHm well... the second is even more twisted than the first. Instead of traps. it seems it plays with time and physics... with the relativity laws, because this time they're in an "Hypercube", that is, a 4D cube, something wich is only an imaginary entity in fact made by mathematicians, but... well you know, it's a movie :D. So every room is the same, same colors, and there's no "number" puzzle this time, but, every room has its own gravity, so sometimes, you enter trough a left-door... and that's a top-door in the next room! The gravity is different. And the time-flow is different between rooms, so if you're looking from one room to another, you see the person in the other room walking and talking very quickly, while he sees you very slow... or... well... I don't want to spoil the movie, you know, so better go and watch it :).

The worst thing: the end, IMHO.

I've only read about the third one (It's called "Cube Zero"), but it seems it sucks, because this time it's focused on the guy who is in charge of the cube (another cube... it seems there's a new cube for every movie), so there's really no mistery about "the cube" this time... it spoils everything I think, it would be a big joke compared with the past 2, but I still have to watch it though. But just take a look at the comments at IMDB of the movie... and you'll get the idea.

More info: http://www.uncubed.com/

Click here to sign my sig!

Drax

• Occasional poster
  • This engine rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 07:50:14 AM »

thank you for the link.  ;D

seems to be bigger communities around the movies.  ::rock
I'm Lost!

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.