Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: ANN: The future of WME  (Read 92684 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: ANN: The future of WME
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »

1.x versions never broke compatibility. WME 2 (not to be released soon afaik) is a new engine so it won't be compatible.
fl*p

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »

Thank you for your prompt reply odnorf, another question, if I'm working with 1.9 version say and when version 2 is released, will i still be able to use 1.9 to finish the project I will be working on. Sorry for the confusion, but I like to err on the side of caution after what I've been through. Thank you again
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »

Of course you'll be able to use 1.9 for as long as you want.  ;D It's not going anywhere. ;D For WME2 plans/goals check first post and the rest of the discussion.
fl*p

StarLite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StarLite Palace
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »

Great thank you odnorf, then I'll keep going with the tutorial. I need an engine that I can rely on and this looks like it. I appreciate the reply and the reassurance. Take care
Be Thankful For The Dawn Of The Coming Day - Lisle Engle

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

Hey folks, I just posted a raw little demo of wme2 on my wme2 development blog. Don't expect too much, there's still a long, long way to go, but I'm sick of writing code without any outside input and wanted to show *something* :) Have fun breaking the demo scene ::beer
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Slapdash

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »

O0 ::rock ::beer ::beer ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::thumbup ::wave :o :o :o :o :o
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WM2 TEST.  SO far I LOVE it Mnemonic!!!
If I find any bugs or anything I'll let you know but man oh man, this works so well.
Personally I think you should make WME2 Dev more.. "Official" now.  It will help you get more feedback and maybe give you some inspiration.

Anyway we can edit play with the NAV mesh area?

Why not make an WME2 ideas area, then you can list them as you do for the todo list / bug fixes
 of the current WME? THat way you won't be deving in a vacuum. :D
Just playing with this demo game me so much ideas of what this engine could be!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:33:05 PM by Slapdash »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »

Hehe, thanks for your enthusiasm, Slapdash.

Personally I think you should make WME2 Dev more.. "Official" now.
Yeah, well, I kind of just did, I guess :) Finally linked the semi-hidden wme2 blog.

Anyway we can edit play with the NAV mesh area?
I was considering a nav-mesh editor (something like the GECK editor for Fallout 3 has), but eventually I decided an import of ordinary mesh would be enough. Also I'd like to try integrating recast in the future, for automatic nav-mesh generation. I'm curious about the results.

Why not make an WME2 ideas area, then you can list them as you do for the todo list / bug fixes
 of the current WME? THat way you won't be deving in a vacuum.
I will definitely start a wme2 forum subsection sooner or later. I'm just not sure if I have enough info to share.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Slapdash

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »

Hehe, thanks for your enthusiasm, Slapdash.
I'm very happy about this release. I have this game idea and I wanted to wait for WME2 to start with it. And i'm happy to see even though it's very little that it works. :)

Yeah, well, I kind of just did, I guess :) Finally linked the semi-hidden wme2 blog.

I will definitely start a wme2 forum subsection sooner or later. I'm just not sure if I have enough info to share.

Yeah I think that will be a great idea. Mnemonic I think all the WME users would like to be involved in this, I think you should be a little less modest and share your thoughts. ;)

I was considering a nav-mesh editor (something like the GECK editor for Fallout 3 has), but eventually I decided an import of ordinary mesh would be enough. Also I'd like to try integrating recast in the future, for automatic nav-mesh generation. I'm curious about the results.

Recast looks very promising I remember reading some info on it a little while ago, that would definitely negate the whole nav-mesh editor. 
One could also play then with transparent blocks if you want to have specific areas no-go. I.e Force collision.
Here was a possible release of a path-finding engine - XNA based. Not sure if the guy is still going to release it though.
http://www.synapsegaming.com/forums/t/1003.aspx

I see some Ogre references (both in files and now in the nav-mesh post). Are you planning to use the Ogre format for 3D model Animation/ Objects?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:01:20 AM by Slapdash »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 02:54:30 PM »

The rendering engine is going to be oger... but as I understand it I would seriously not go around expecting this to come into beta anytime soon.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »

I see some Ogre references (both in files and now in the nav-mesh post). Are you planning to use the Ogre format for 3D model Animation/ Objects?
Yes, WME2 is using the amazing Ogre3D as its underlaying rendering engine, so internally the ogre .mesh format will be used for meshes and animations. I would like to provide importer for some generally supported format (Collada or FBX).

Slapdash

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »

Yes, WME2 is using the amazing Ogre3D as its underlaying rendering engine, so internally the ogre .mesh format will be used for meshes and animations. I would like to provide importer for some generally supported format (Collada or FBX).

Great idea on the Collada / FBX in addition to .mesh. Reason being that not all graphics apps supports/will support .mesh exporters perfectly. Whereas most 3D apps at least have collada or fbx.
Thinking Later versions of XSI, Lighhtwave, Cinem4D, not to mention cheaper apps like Carrara and so forth.

But so far I'm liking what I'm hearing - Seeing.
I didn't get any crashes or anything in my tests.

Windows 7 64bit. Nvidia GFX card.

FogGobbler

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »

Hi!

Just a couple of WME2-questions.

So, I still am able to create 2.5 D with prerendered images with the new engine, right? Do I still have to cut out the foreground or does the new system work differently, perhaps with depthmaps or something like that?
Realtime, I mean "real" realtime shadows with per-pixel lighting possible with 3D characters on prerendered images? Like in i.e. Black mirror..

Thanks,
Oli

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

I'm focusing on the 3D part now. 2.5D may not be part of the initial release, but will be added later on. The plan is to use the same system as in WME 1.x. In my opinion depth maps are inflexible in terms of dynamic changes to the scene look/layout.

goamanu

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »

Hi! I have just one question about WME2:
Will it support 360 panoramic games?
I know I can simulate panoramic in WME1, but it is rather complicated and the results are not so good.
If WME2 will support panoramic games, then I prefer to wait for it :)
Thanks, you make a great work!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:46 AM »

I don't expect WME2 to have any specific support for panoramic games in the initial release. However, as far as I know the panoramic games are built simply by mapping textures to the inner sides of a cube/sphere and placing a camera inside. You should be able to do that in WME2.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.