Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Hey everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that weird?!  (Read 6333 times)

CodeD

• Rather Dashing
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Hey everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that weird?!
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

Okay...truth time...I'm not really from Holland.

I am interested in using WME for my new game though.  I was considering coding my own engine from scratch in C++ or something else but this engine seems to fit the bill for what I want.

In 1999 I was poised to release an adventure game called 'The Adventures of Spaceman Bob' for Dos/Windows which was set to make gaming history.

Alas though, the original game, source code, scripts and graphics which only existed on a 386 Toshiba laptop were lost to time.  All that remains as proof of this once awesome game is this screenshot from the main menu.

Now, I'm resurrecting my old company, Crapsoft/Crapsoft Games which represented the pinnacle in software programming in the mid-late 90s.

I had originally intended to remake my game completely from scratch but after stumbling across this I'm considering using WME as my vector to re-release this awesome game in all it's old school glory.

And yes, in case you haven't realized it, this is a little tongue-in-cheek which is why I originally named my "company" Crapsoft.

This game will be very similar in vein of the old Sierra classics.  I did check out AGS as well as some newer engines but WME seems to fit perfectly for what I want and has an open license to boot.

The plot is pretty standard with humor somewhat similar to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  It's not a game that takes itself too seriously.

"Spaceman Bob and his robotic pal Auto-Bob have crash landed on a strange planet! You've got to help this zany spaceman repair his ship so he can get back home!"

I don't expect to make any money off this.  This is just a personal project near and dear to my heart.  I'm a reporter, producer and editor for national television by day and a hobbyist game programmer/player by when my boss isn't looking.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:35:32 AM by CodeD »
|CRAPSOFT GAMES|

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that weird?!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »

So you lost all the assets of the game and you plan to recreate it from scratch (minus the engine)? Crazy! :o Looking forward to it :)
fl*p

CodeD

• Rather Dashing
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Hey everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that weird?!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:11:03 AM »

Yep.  All the assets are gone which is why I'll likely be using WME versus coding an engine from scratch.  I coded the original engine in QuickBasic 4.5/7 with some assembly on the side.

Like I said all I had from the original project is that screenshot of the title screen and also the teaser text for the game.

I'm using Gimp/Photoshop but doing most of the spritework in Graphics Gale.

I just made a prototype of Bob yesterday (see avatar).  The first thing I'm working on is walking/idle/action frames for Spaceman Bob.

I remember the original map somewhat and the plot vaguely.  Basically, the main objectives will be fixing your ship, Auto-Bob and getting supplies/fuel so you can take off and in standard adventure game form will require completing a number of sidequests and sub-objectives.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:12:52 AM by CodeD »
|CRAPSOFT GAMES|

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.