Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Freeware or Cheap Install / Loader / patcher Options?  (Read 3461 times)

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Freeware or Cheap Install / Loader / patcher Options?
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »

Can anyone recommend me some software.. either free or cheap that I can use as a installer and/ or a applcaton that launches the program?

The installer

It would need to be able to edit the registry of windows and be able to undo these edits on uninstall. As well as the normal copy files, select install folder, create new folder.

Launcher
If possible I would also love to be able to integrate bit-torrent into the installer / game launcher so the user can receive patch updates easily. Or any other method for patching....

Any suggestions welcome.

<------ Edit...

For installers i found Inno Setup or the Nullsoft installer.... Dose anyone have any options for a Launcher and patching system?
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Freeware or Cheap Install / Loader / patcher Options?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

for setup I recommend InnoSetup (very fast and intuitive learning curve, free) http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

We actually have somewhere around the list of free tools of various purposes:

http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=998.0

J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »

What about a game launcher / patcher. We are looking ofr a method for doing 2 things..

1) Checking for updates to the game and downloading them into the installed dir. (wither automatic or by user click)
2) A user operated check for new episodes button... that give you the option to download a hole new ep

Anyone have any ideas on how this could be done?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:21:32 PM by Jyujinkai »
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »

I wrote a launcher myself and released its sources. However, it was never intended for end user, rather for programmers to modify it for their needs and recompile...
Try looking for some "autorun makers" and such, they often have similar functions. Many commercial games are using DemoShield, but it doesn't fall into the "cheap" category :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »

I think i have found a decent solution for our project... not sure how it will fit into a random project... still there is a great online patching utility for $20 you can check out here...

Xpatcher
Quote from: Xpatcher Website
Xpatcher - premire software patching and updatng tool for
developers and clients.

Xpatcher provides an easy way for software developers to
organize, manage and distribute updates to their clients.
Ever played one of those massive online games and noticed
the files being downloaded and patched on login?

The Xpatcher procedure allows developers to easily capture the MMO-style of file patching. Just drop the patch maker into any directory on your hard-drive and execute it.

Xpatcher will create file lists, directory lists and modification date lists.

Xpatcher then connects to your FTP site and creates an exact image of your development directory straight onto the FTP server. Clients can then run the client software that will 'patch' their installs and keep them up to date via the 'http protocol'.

Xpatcher allows developers to control the status of their FTP download site, organize an 'update notes' list, set 'special announcement' bulletins and much more. The client application is fully customizable, displays a webpage and can work with any type of software imaginable.

We are proud to offer with this product Free life-time updates and support!

Key Features:

* Dynamic updates - from your harddrive to any FTP server.
    * File compression - patched files are compressed using tight algo's.
    * Security - Xpatcher encrypts and sets passwords for patched files
    * Customizable - professional looking client application.
    * Control - total control on what goes out and what is patched.
    * Distribute the client application 'license free'.
    * Incrediably easy to use, drop, run and update!.
    * Compatible with Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista x86/x64

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.