Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: vertex animation  (Read 4152 times)

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
vertex animation
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »

Hi!
I have a very small question...
Can wintermute play animationes done by vertex movement only?  (no bones, no skinning,    no rotating-scaling-moving the whole object). For example: a model I need to deform vertex by vertex applying keyframes to each vertex, or facial animation with no bones (blendshapes), or a 3dsmax deformer.
I don't know if the .x  format can work like this or if it only supports bone - skin  animation.
I would try it myself but I still need to learn scripting to import animations and make them work, and right know I'm in a crucial stage because my characters rigs are being made.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:28:38 AM by Shagma »

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: vertex animation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »

I forgot to ask something else! sorry... 
I was playing the demo of art of murder and I noticed that the transitions between animations (standing to walking, walking to running, turning around in 180°) were a little stiff... Is it posible to make them smoother like in syberia 2 for example? Is there a way to make a morph between a certain random mid-animation-cycle position to another cycle? or another way around would be to tell the engine to finish every animation cycle (for example walking) to the last frame and then trigger a pre-made animation transition between the end of the walk and the new action (for example standing still), so the transition looks smooth. Is any of these two posible? if not... any tips on how to make animation transitions smoother?
Thank you - very - much -

by the way... I think I found a passage between blender and wintermute that would let you do all your work including animation in blender without worrying about bad x. exporting. I need the first question answered to know if it works though. If pure vertex animation is supported by wintermute then I'll make a tutorial on how to do bring blender animations into wintermute.

Thank you.

I'll soon announce my game :D
It's looking gooooooood

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:32:23 AM by Shagma »

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:32 AM »

WME dose not support vertex animations... though the source code is now public so feel free to add it and share with the rest of the community (you have to share back as part of the agreement you do when using the code)

The animation swapping between cycles should be smooth. It depends on how much effort you put into your scripting and animation setup. Basically as the various animations share the same bone rig, WME simply translates the bones to move to the start pose of the next animation. So it is as smooth as you script it to be .. so you can have it as a 2 frame jump transition or a 5000 frame slow transition... it is up to you. You can also use a intermediate translation position. So basically you script it to move the actor into a nutural pose and then form there into the other poses you choose. This can also stop "stiff" looks as you can animate the start of each cycle form a known position.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »

Thank you for your answer!
So, just to make sure, does this mean that every single animation has to be done with a bone setup? No bend or melt deformer or any other type of animations can be exported ? :( it's too bad cause I was doing some facial animation with deformers, not bones.
Thank you for the explanation about the animation swapping, I see how it works now.

About adding vertex animations, I'd really love to do it, but I must say I've never done anything like this before. I'm a 3d artist and I have no knowledge of C++ or any of that. Is it too hard? And where do I start? 

Thank you again.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

So, just to make sure, does this mean that every single animation has to be done with a bone setup? No bend or melt deformer or any other type of animations can be exported ?
Yes that is what it means. You can not use vertex animations... including morphs.

About adding vertex animations, I'd really love to do it, but I must say I've never done anything like this before. I'm a 3d artist and I have no knowledge of C++ or any of that. Is it too hard? And where do I start?
C++ For Dummies
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »

thank you very much

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.