Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Moving the Camera?  (Read 3720 times)

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
Moving the Camera?
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:30:32 AM »

This isn't so much a feature suggestion as a feature inquiry...while I think the functionality would be interesting/useful, it's not necessarily something that I'm currently planning on using (if it was there, though, I'd try to work it in somehow).

Question: Is it possible to move 3D scene cameras in real time?  And if not, is this functionality even possible?

I've recently been looking into moving my project into the 2.5D realm, and thought it would be cool to do a sort of view transition between different views of a room, rather than just an instant jump.  This technique has been used in some other 2.5D games - the one I can think of off the top of my head is Final Fantasy 8...the idea is, if you can move the 3D camera and have a video file which visually mimics the 3D camera's movement through a scene, it would appear that that the entire environment is moving, with the 3D model moving in correct relation to the rest of the scene.  These would also be useful to transition to a cutscene directly from the scene view in a more immersive way.

So, it's easy enough to make the transition videos, but I was unsure about the 3D camera stuff.

CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Moving the Camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:37:40 AM »

i have used full screen motion video of the camera transition to a new still background scene... seams to work pretty well.

I am pretty sure you can jump cut with the camera as there is a script command for selecting what camera you are using.. i have not tested it but you cna ask mnem.. if you timed the cut with a backgrnd change you could simulate a perspective cut.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.