Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Questions about this gaming engine ^_^  (Read 4317 times)

Wintermute

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Questions about this gaming engine ^_^
« on: May 05, 2003, 11:17:03 PM »

First i'd like to say hello to the Wintermute Engine community  ;)

Second, i just downloaded this game engine to see what i can do with it. I've tried using several engines in the past for other things, but they were essentially used just for fun ;D The most recent i've tinkered with was SLUDGE. But this engine seems quite interesting :)

Third, the reason why i'm posting this here is that i'm trying to create a game (aren't we all?  :P). I still haven't started working with this engine mainly because of lack of time. But i was wondering if i could ask some questions as to the versatility of the engine and what i can do with it :)

-Can the Wintermute engine use movies, or cutscenes using external apps? Lets say i'd make a small movie in Flash (or any other program), and that i wanted to make a scene transition which showed the movie. Could it be done, or would i have to resort to using the engine for in-game cutscenes?

-Could a semblance of Alone in the Dark (or Resident Evil) gameplay be created, while focusing more on adventure? Lets say i wanted to make a game which allowed for real-time combat such as AITD/RE, but that is was not the main aspect of the game, but rather, only for some of its moments?

-Lets say i wanted to create a small gameplay gimmick, something akin to a gauge which measured the mental health of characters - could it be done? Also, can events be made that will scare characters and make them react/hallucinate, and have the gauge properly display their mental stability (with a possible use of a coloured, non-numerical gauge)?

-If i wanted to change the environments in realtime, could it be done? As in a window someone passes by suddenly breaking, or a vine in the wall suddenly coming to life?

I think these are all the questions i have for now  ;D

Cheers!

"Nowhere.  Everywhere.  I

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Questions about this gaming engine ^_^
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 09:37:32 AM »

First i'd like to say hello to the Wintermute Engine community  
Hi and welcome :)

-Can the Wintermute engine use movies, or cutscenes using external apps?
WME has a native support for the AVI videos, so IMHO the best solution would be to convert the Flash animation to an AVI. Although using an external application probably would be possible, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

-Could a semblance of Alone in the Dark (or Resident Evil) gameplay be created, while focusing more on adventure? Lets say i wanted to make a game which allowed for real-time combat such as AITD/RE, but that is was not the main aspect of the game, but rather, only for some of its moments?
Well, both AITD and RE use 3D characters on 2D backgrounds, which allows you to use different camera angles (and that undoubtedly helps to make the creepy atmosphere). WME currently doesn't (officially) support the 3D characters, so you'd be limited to a fixed camera angle.
And about the real-time combat... it depends on how would that work. Are you thinking about a keyboard controlled character? I guess that would be possible (although as far as I know no one ever tried that :-) but again, you'd be limited by the 2D characters and their 8 directions only...

-Lets say i wanted to create a small gameplay gimmick, something akin to a gauge which measured the mental health of characters - could it be done? Also, can events be made that will scare characters and make them react/hallucinate, and have the gauge properly display their mental stability (with a possible use of a coloured, non-numerical gauge)?
Yes, I believe that would be perfectly possible using the scripting and the GUI layer.

-If i wanted to change the environments in realtime, could it be done? As in a window someone passes by suddenly breaking, or a vine in the wall suddenly coming to life?
Yep, no problem here neither. Using the entities you can completely change a scene in realtime, if you need to.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Wintermute

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re:Questions about this gaming engine ^_^
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 03:18:06 PM »

Thanks Mnemonic  ;D I'll be sure to look more into the engine ASAP :)

And about the 3D implementation... well, i don't really mind that. In fact, i was thinking of having my characters in the game being in 2D (which would still be more complex than 3D because i can't apply camera angles to it - i think.), so all views of characters would be comprised of several sprite banks for certain scenes. And i am planning on applying a type of cel-shading to the characters (i'm aiming for a Broken Sword meets XIII stylistic feel on characters  :))

You mention that the viewpoint will be fixed, but i am thinking of making several "rooms" with different viewpoints, and several sprites to accomodate it :)

Also, about the control... good point, i hadn't thought about that one yet  ;) I could go with a keyboard-based control, but using a gamepad isn't out of the picture... but for the idea of the realtime combat... it would only be on some scenes, not on every part of the game. Im still considering if the character can use more than one weapon type (which he probably won't  :P)... for now, the character is limited to a simple handgun. And perhaps a melee weapon... the melee weapon has more adventurish uses in the game setting, while the gun is for more action-based concepts... its pretty much like i said, i was aiming for a little action in some scenes, but the way it will happen is still under development... the idea for now is to have one character using the weapon on very few instances, then having that character give the weapon to someone else, than while controlling the other character, he would give it more use (until, of course, he meets an untimely demise... hehe, plot factors  ;D). Ultimately, using a gun in action scenes could be thought of as something similar to the combat in the afforementioned AITD, or even RE, but only on key instances... perhaps on "Boss" creatures.

Cheers :)

"Nowhere.  Everywhere.  I

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.