Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: How do you make 3d games?  (Read 7333 times)

fredman

How do you make 3d games?
« on: September 16, 2003, 11:14:01 PM »

Does anyone know how to make those 3d rendered games and can they show me some?

Vesh

• Lurker
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:How do you make 3d games?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 01:40:13 AM »

This is one of those posts where you can either ignore it, make fun of it, or try to be helpful. I'm gonna choose not to be an ass this time.  =]

Before anybody can help, though, you must narrow down the question a bit. First off - and most importantly - do you mean realtime or pre-rendered?

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 04:21:30 AM »

I'm guessing this person means rendered 3D backgrounds, i.e. Grim Fandango. In this case, the answer is to learn 3D scene modeling using an application like Maya or 3d Studio Max.

If you mean real-time games, like Half-Life for instance, you're in the wrong forum.

But in either case, I highly suggest visiting www.gamedev.net -- poke around a bit and you will find some great beginner advice.

Petteri Parkkila

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 07:27:46 PM »

It's good to start 3d-modeling with freeware programs. Caligari's TrueSpace 3.2 is very good. You can find it from http://download.com.com/3000-2186-10187913.html?tag=lst-0-1
and then get serial code from http://forms.caligari.com/forms/tS32_free.html
At these days, 3d is very common in the game development, so it's profitable to learn it.  :)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 11:30:03 PM »

This is an old thread revived but for anyone that is interested in 3D graphics for adventure games don't forget to check this thread http://www.dead-code.org/forum/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=341;start=0
fl*p

milquetoast

• Lurker
  • Cognitive Dissonant
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Gamers
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 07:55:23 PM »

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried Blender?  It looks to be a pretty comprehensive tool for being freeware, so I'm wondering what the actual hitch is.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 08:16:06 PM »

Hi and welcome milquetoast,

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried Blender?  It looks to be a pretty comprehensive tool for being freeware, so I'm wondering what the actual hitch is.

Actually that was the thread in this forum, odnorf mentioned in the message before yours. It's a pure Blender thread and yes - if you get used to it, Blender is lovely! I'm still learning, but I don't want to use any other 3D soft anymore. Again the link in this forum:

http://www.dead-code.org/forum/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=341;start=0

Greetings,
Jerrot.
Mooh!

Tom King

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 08:52:11 PM »

Jerrott - am I understanding correctly that you don't want to implement 3D images in your projects?  - Or that you don't want to use any other software 3D software other than Blender..?? If it's the former, why not? If it's the latter, why not?  I'm terribly curious. :)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 10:19:57 PM »

Jerrot, sorry for answering those questions that were meant for you, but I was here faster :)

Jerrot - am I understanding correctly that you don't want to implement 3D images in your projects?...

AFAIK Jerrot's projects are going to have 3D prerendered backgrounds.

...Or that you don't want to use any other software 3D software other than Blender..??

He is using mostly (or only?) blender because of the price and the features: It's free (that being opensource)   ;) and it has all the features most of the developers would need, so no need to spend 100's of euro's for another program.
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 09:38:50 AM »

Welcome Tom,

Jerrott

Are here some old AGAST forum readers as I am ? Now I feel like Russell! :)
(just kidding)

am I understanding correctly that you don't want to implement 3D images in your projects?  - Or that you don't want to use any other software 3D software other than Blender..?? If it's the former, why not? If it's the latter, why not?  I'm terribly curious. :)

Curiosity is welcome! :)
The second interpretation fits ! As odnorf already mentioned, I'm going to use prerendered backgrounds, items, objects, animations, etc. in my games and they will be done in Blender. And the main reasons are (I should offer odnorf a job as my press speaker... ;) !) => it's freeware, it offers all features I need, it's under fast continuing development (I download a new CVS build almost every day) and if you got used to the interface, you can model things very fast . Anyway I'm still a rookie... but there are some more Blender users here, too.

But let's continue this discussion in our Blender thread:
http://www.dead-code.org/forum/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=341

J.
Mooh!

milquetoast

• Lurker
  • Cognitive Dissonant
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Gamers
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 01:22:59 PM »

<--Tom

No, I want to continue it here!! ::stamps feet::  ;)

Okay - thank you for those concise answers - and yes, that Blender thread is quite extensive, thanks again.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.