Wintermute Engine > Technical forum

ANN: The future of WME

<< < (2/17) > >>

Spellbreaker:
I would simply use two license models. First : Free Game / Free Engine, second, commercial game, pay for engine once.

Of course then Mnemonic has to pay taxes and all, and it's always a question if it's worth it. ( At least here in Germany it's a quite big bureaucratic act, so it consumes too much time for small money...)

Derrek3D:
Will the new engine still be able to produce 2.5D games with pre-rendered backgrounds like the current version of the engine does, or will it be 3D only?

Thanks.

Jihar:

--- Quote from: Mnemonic on December 20, 2008, 02:00:02 PM ---Hello muties,
since some of you are asking about the future of WME, here's what's going on.

--- End quote ---

Thats a great news!

It will be superious to see features that cant be added by users. For example - i can add midi support, some extended sound features (like 5.1 support or DS3D\OpenAL\EAX), multiplayer support and many many more - i can add such features by myself. But i cant expand engine render. Multitexturing\Shaders\Post-effects etc - its almost impossible to add such features to wme 1.x. Its the only feature i really need in wme :)

atm_deev:

--- Quote from: Jihar on December 22, 2008, 04:07:06 PM ---But i cant expand engine render. Multitexturing\Shaders\Post-effects etc - its almost impossible to add such features to wme 1.x. Its the only feature i really need in wme :)

--- End quote ---

Yes. Otherwise, it may not be sold.

Mnemonic:

--- Quote from: Birdline on December 20, 2008, 10:40:21 PM ---Q1. Will WME 2 be a more 3D engine, or more a better WME 1?

--- End quote ---
Yes, the plan is for it to be a bit "more 3D" :) However...

--- Quote from: Derrek3D on December 22, 2008, 03:39:26 PM ---Will the new engine still be able to produce 2.5D games with pre-rendered backgrounds like the current version of the engine does, or will it be 3D only?

--- End quote ---
I believe the demand for 2.5D is still quite large. But unlike WME1, which started 2D and 3D features have been added later (for apparent reasons), I think it's better to treat 2.5D as a simplified case of full-3D.

--- Quote from: Birdline on December 20, 2008, 10:40:21 PM ---Q2. Will WME 2 still be free (donate)?

--- End quote ---
I can't tell at the moment. It depends on many factors.

--- Quote from: Catacomber on December 21, 2008, 04:05:59 AM ---Portable to pda or smartphone or something else?

--- End quote ---
While portability is much more important nowadays than it was when WME 1 started, I'm only considering "fully-fledged" platforms for now.

--- Quote from: atm_deev on December 23, 2008, 03:39:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jihar on December 22, 2008, 04:07:06 PM ---But i cant expand engine render. Multitexturing\Shaders\Post-effects etc - its almost impossible to add such features to wme 1.x. Its the only feature i really need in wme :)

--- End quote ---

Yes. Otherwise, it may not be sold.

--- End quote ---
It doesn't seem that the lack of shaders prevented you from selling several wme-based games, did it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version