Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gabriel Knight 3  (Read 19855 times)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Gabriel Knight 3
« on: November 22, 2003, 12:35:03 AM »

So finally I got it (the German version) ! I just started and configured it, so now it looks much better than at my first attempt. But I've got some problems and I'd be interested if someone knows them:

1) Only a few sentences are actually spoken. I wondered all the time about that red mouse pointer when I tried to investigate something. The solution was to activate the subtitles, there was text. Strange.  :(

2) First scene - after investigating my room, I left it and went downstairs. I found a bowl with sweeties or something similiar. I try to pick them up and - the game crashes.  >:( Compatibility mode does NOT work.

Damn! Bought three games on one day - and the only one that was not disappointing is "Sims - Making Magic" for my girl friend.
 :'(
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Gabriel Knight 3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 09:15:04 AM »

That's weird. I just tried it and everything works fine (english version). WinXP Pro+GeForce FX.

And, odnorf, I have to insist, the interiors DO look good even today (providing 1024x768 resolution and high texture detail is enabled).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 10:13:52 AM »

I guess you have tried to find a patch for GK3? Maybe it's a specific problem with the German version because the english version seems to work just fine.

(I am wondering: Does the german version has the excellent graphic novell?)

And, odnorf, I have to insist, the interiors DO look good even today (providing 1024x768 resolution and high texture detail is enabled).

OK... ok... You are right. They look fine ;D ;D :P
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 02:36:14 PM »

And on a related note, there's a new issue of The Inventory available, featuring an interview with Jane Jensen.

http://www.justadventure.com/TheInventory/TheInventory.shtm
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 05:01:41 PM »

Now that you mention it (and just to make this thread off-topic which is my hobby ;D) I have to say that this is a damn good free e-magazine. Although is has it's drawbacks like it's size (they use wrong programs or wrong settings to create those pdfs) and it's design (I'd offer myself to the team but....)
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 05:03:32 PM »

Yeah, I like it too. And about the design... you'd make it all black and people would waste all their ink when printing it ;)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 02:13:55 PM »

Thanks, it works now.

Graphics are really fine after configuring it correctly (the MipMapping made it look very strange and I didn't discover the Gamma-Setting before  ::) !).

Well, the problem was - as always - my CD-ROM, it reads wrong contents when reading large files (e.g. at the installation) and it does NOT report them. After reading the content slowly into a VirtualCD-Device, it worked great.

And it's DAMN GOOD! Although I just began to play it the last two hours, I guess the decision between BF3 and GK3 will become easy, how shocking...

Oh, in the new "Inventory" is "Bad Timing", I waited for that some time ago, cool...
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 02:27:19 PM »

Well, the problem was - as always - my CD-ROM, it reads wrong contents when reading large files (e.g. at the installation) and it does NOT report them. After reading the content slowly into a VirtualCD-Device, it worked great.

I have the solution for you. It's called "buy-a-new-cd-drive" :)

And it's DAMN GOOD!

Welcome to the club of GK fanatics.
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 05:47:10 PM »

Finished! Whew!  :o

The game IS *great* ! Awesome puzzles. Hooray to Jane Jensen, may her dream of GK4 come true some day after her current project, I want to know more about the end. What's up with the child ? Where is Grace ? Why does she have to take care now ? Where they wrong ? Is she pregnant ? Will HER child be the next... you know who ?

I can't believe I bought it for 3 EUR while I spent 40 EUR for that $&
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 08:30:32 PM »

Woohoo, welcome to the GK fanclub ;D So, aren't you planning a vacation in Rennes Le Chateau? I know I guy he did that under an influence of GK3 :)

Regarding your unanswered questions, check out this thread: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 01:02:30 AM »

Woohoo, welcome to the GK fanclub ;D So, aren't you planning a vacation in Rennes Le Chateau? I know I guy he did that under an influence of GK3 :)

Would be quite funny I guess. Or quite paranoid... ;)
Did that guy kill the chicken ?  :-X

Regarding your unanswered questions, check out this thread: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207

Ah, I KNEW it. Although that text in the brackets ("regarding her pegnance") did not appear in the German translation, although I had subtitles on... ! (There is a in-game console ? HEH! You know things...)
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 09:06:55 AM »

Would be quite funny I guess. Or quite paranoid... ;)
Did that guy kill the chicken ?  :-X

Well, as far as I know, the real RLC is much bigger town than it's depicted in the game, so I doubt there are chickens walking on the street :)

Ah, I KNEW it. Although that text in the brackets ("regarding her pegnance") did not appear in the German translation, although I had subtitles on... ! (There is a in-game console ? HEH! You know things...)

That text wasn't used in the english version neither, it's probably some development leftover. You can find a lot of interesting stuff inside the BRN files, for example the ending sequence was supposed to look quite differently originally, or there is a debugging executable hidden inside, some "sierra confidential" documents etc... :)

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
Re: Gabriel Knight 3
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 03:46:11 PM »

Oh! Please, do tell me how I can extract those files! I once got the debug executable extracted (i do know how to use the extract-command) but now I can't seem to do it again... And what about the end sequence? -- And the dialogue as well.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 03:04:19 PM »

Oh! Please, do tell me how I can extract those files! I once got the debug executable extracted (i do know how to use the extract-command) but now I can't seem to do it again... And what about the end sequence? -- And the dialogue as well.

Well, the extract command works, but it's not very comfortable because AFAIK it doesn't support wildcards. But, inside the barn files there is a combine.exe utility, which is able to extract files specified by a regular expression. Unfortunately the original utility crashed for me, probably due to some DLL clashes or something, so I, errrrrm, hacked it a bit to make it work. You can download the modified extract.exe here:

http://dead-code.org/misc/gk3_combine.rar

It's a command-line utility and it has many options (it works as a script interpreter as well). But what you need to know to export the dialogues is that all of them are stored in files with a YAK extension. So to export all YAKs, use this command:

COMBINE.EXE extract core.brn {[0-9,a-y]\.YAK}

(for some reason if I use z instead of y, it doesn't work).
But beware, the YAK files contain a lot of mess beside the dialogues themselves, namely the lip-sync data.

Inside the YAKs you can find the pregnancy note as well as remnants of the finale sequence captions. Also the moustache puzzle seems to have involved a bird and a hose originally, not a cat :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:16:36 PM by Mnemonic »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 03:07:18 PM »

Oh and the debugging executable is called gk3r.exe. You can get is using either the extract command or the combine utility.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.