Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Screen Scroll Problem  (Read 3587 times)

The Man

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Screen Scroll Problem
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »

Hi,everybody.I'm working on two different projects  with Wintermute.In the first project I've got no problems at all(at least,for now),since everything seems to work.In the second project I've just encountered a strange problem.I'll try to explain it.I've got this 1000x500 background that I want to use.When I use a background like this in the first project,setting the main dimension of the scene as 1000x600,the scene runs exactly how I want to.If you move from left to right,the scene simply scrolls following the main character.I dont' know if that's clear...the problem with the second project,is that the camera doesn't follow the actor...I use the same procedure,but the camera seems to be frozen,and when you move to the right of the scene nothing happens.The screen doesn't scroll at all...Is this a bug or do I have to set something different?

warmblood

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Scroll Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Did you remember to make the floor the same size as the scene background? I've forgotten to do that and had the same problem you describe.

mylesblasonato

• Developer
  • Frequent poster
  • "Give up is to fail as sacrifice is to succeed"
    • View Profile
    • Royal Wins
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:22:05 AM »

Hi I am having the same problem and I tried what you said but it didn't work for me. Any other suggestions?
I'm using 1024x768 size backgrounds.

Cheers,
Myles Blasonato.
Lead Game Designer, Royal Wins.
@mylesblasonato
@royalwins
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/myles-blasonato/26/600/a38

warmblood

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »

Here are the steps I used to make a scrolling scene. The two problems I usually have are forgetting to adjust the floor (step 9), or forgetting to change the resolution of the Main layer (step 5).

(I didn't leave any details out, so it is frighteningly long, but not difficult.)

For this example, my display resolution is 1024x768. My background is 1400x1050, but you can change to suit your needs, as long as the background is bigger than the display. 

1. If you need to, create a new project using the Basic Project template.

2. Create a new scene. I chose the "Empty scene -1024x768", but it doesn't really matter. Make sure you copy the scrolling background to the scene folder (in my example case it is a 1400x1050 background.)

3. Open the new scene in the scene editor.

4. In the layer palette, click on the Main layer -- where it tells the size of the screen (usually 800x600) -- to select it.

5. Now click on the "Layer Properties" button just above (with the hand pointing to the page). Change the width and height to match your scrolling background -- in my case 1400x1050 -- and click the OK button.

6. Click on the background entity in the entity palette to select it.

7. Click on the ... button next to the Sprite path in the Entity Properties section and select the scrolling background, then click the Open button.

8.  Now reposition the scrolling background where you want it. When you look at the scene, you'll see a red outline around your background, and a blue outline -- that is the floor. If you use the scrollbars you should also see a light gray outline. That is the outline of the display. Now reposition the scrolling background relative to this gray outline. In my case, since the background is taller and wider than the gray outline, I adjusted it so that it corresponded with the display outline on the left and top, and extended beyond the gray outline on the right and bottom. (Note that if you forgot step 5, you won't be able to scroll to see all of your scrolling background.)

9. Finally, click on the Floor entity in the entity palette, and then adjust the floor (positioning the mouse over each corner until you see the + pointer and then dragging the point, and adding and deleting points as needed) so that it the character can walk to all parts of the scrolling background that you want accessible. Keep in mind that if the actor can't walk to an area, the game won't scroll to it. 

10. Save the scene and play the game. (You may need to make the new scene the startup scene if you don't have some way to get to it.)  The scene should scroll when the actor walks around it.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.