Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: inventory and items questions  (Read 2671 times)

ChrisWiki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
inventory and items questions
« on: April 01, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »

Hi Everybody,

I'm very interested by a resident evil like project, and i want to know if it's possible to make a resident Evil's Inventory style, with the wme 3D demo. Is it possible,when the inventory window is open, to select item directly to the inventory so that when this item is selectionned, a brief description of this item appear somewhere in the inventory window, and that this item appear in a case intituled "used". Is it possible to combine items like the green and red herbs ? I have read the Wme documentation, and i have seen the entity containers. Do i use this entity containers in that case and how to use them ?  I would know if it's possible to use inventory on two columns without slider "prev" and "next"

At least I woulk know a mean to select item without the mouse in the Wme3D Demo., so that when a actor is near a item he can select him with a keyboard key like the "A" keyboard key.   

Good continuation to all, Wme engine is great ! :)   

Regards :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: inventory and items questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:30:08 PM »

I don't know exactly how Resident Evil inventory looks like, so just some tips:
1) You can affect the number of rows/columns of items by specifying appropriate area for items. The prev/next buttons are only necessary if all the items don't fit into that area.
2) You can display information when clicking the item easily by adding some static control to your inventory window and handling the LeftClick event on the inventory items. No need for entity containers here.
3) You can NOT control inventory window with keyboard, at least not the built-in inventory system. If you need keyboard controlled inventory window, you'll need to script it from scratch. Certainly not impossible, but harder than using the built-in system.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

ChrisWiki

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: inventory and items questions
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »

Thank a lot for your very quick reply, Mnemonic. :)

I will try to affect the number of rows/columns of items by specifying appropriate area for items.

Resident Evil inventory allow to combine items to create most poverful items. For an example there are often red herbs, green herbs, and blue herbs item's in a resident Evil game, that allow to treat the player when he's been hurted. A green herb is less powerful than a combination of a red herb and a green herbs. (This combination create an another item). Is it possible to do that directly from this new inventory window, so that when i combine two items a new item appear directly to the inventory window ?   
I would have equally some precisions about inventory. Actually, I modified the Wme 3D demo inventory script's so that when i press the TAB ket, the inventory window appears smootly. I would know a mean, so that when i press again the TAB Key the inventory window disappear. Actually i must use another keY to do that (the Back Key).  I search, moreover a mean to freeze the game when the inventory window appear and is set. I tried to change the inventory.def file to do that, but it doesn't work  ???

Do you, or anybody have some ideas to do that ?

Best Regards

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.