Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Make project portable to flash  (Read 12830 times)

Art

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Make project portable to flash
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »

Hello everybody,
Have not been here for a while, glad to see that project is alive and moves on!

At this moment I have an idea of making some 2D or 2.5D game, and I remmembered my positives from using WME. But in new projects i need to meet two benefits:

First one is - game should be online. So client software can connect to and authorise on server, and locations should be shared between players who are also online at this moment. Cause of engine became open source I can assume - it can be done by adding our own network-code and features.

Second one is - game should be flash. WME has great opportuninies in building and scripting scenes. If these scenes could be "executed" in other "player", not only in "exe" like now, but also in "swf", which reads data from server - in would be fantastic. I think such feature would be much more then in demand. But in this case i can asume - it's too hard to implement. I've searched for something like this in web - but seems there is nothing yet done.

Could WME owners comment these two questions, or may be some one could tell me about existing alternatives?

Thanks lots!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Make project portable to flash
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »

First one is - game should be online. So client software can connect to and authorise on server, and locations should be shared between players who are also online at this moment. Cause of engine became open source I can assume - it can be done by adding our own network-code and features.

I'm not the "wme owner" but I can answer as well. Since wme.exe is under lgpl now you can add your own network-code & features but if they are compiled in the executable (and not dynamically linked) you should also release your code under lgpl.

Second one is - game should be flash. WME has great opportuninies in building and scripting scenes. If these scenes could be "executed" in other "player", not only in "exe" like now, but also in "swf", which reads data from server - in would be fantastic. I think such feature would be much more then in demand. But in this case i can asume - it's too hard to implement. I've searched for something like this in web - but seems there is nothing yet done.

Not possible.

Could WME owners comment these two questions, or may be some one could tell me about existing alternatives?

Check Lassie Adventure Studio
fl*p

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

Just for info: Instead of changing the engine-code, you can develope a plugin as well for networking.

Art

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »

I'm not the "wme owner" but I can answer as well. Since wme.exe is under lgpl now you can add your own network-code & features but if they are compiled in the executable (and not dynamically linked) you should also release your code under lgpl.
By linking dll you mean plugin system like Spellbreaker says?

Not possible.
And no plans for that? I really think that this could be (one more :)) break through ::rock for WME...

Check Lassie Adventure Studio

Seems to be something like i'm searching for. But much less popular then WME. I'll take a look. Thank you!

Just for info: Instead of changing the engine-code, you can develope a plugin as well for networking.
Can we suggest what "ping" will be supported by engine itself (if we assume client-server is ideal). Could it be in range of 20-50 ms? Won't WME "generete" some lags and delays itself because of scripts execution? We surelly should make some tests before making decision, but would be interesting to here any ideas and expirience about that from community.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »

By linking dll you mean plugin system like Spellbreaker says?

I said "dynamically linked" and that's the right term afaik (I'm no programmer but I have studied the licence). In simple words, yes the plugin system covers that and that means you can keep the sources closed.

And no plans for that? I really think that this could be (one more Smiley) break through Rock for WME...

I'm not wme developer but I can safely say (as safe as that can be) that there are no plans for it. And personally I believe that support for proprietary formats that the usage itself is a gray legal ground would be a step backwards. Especially when all the major free formats are already supported. And the "these scenes could be "executed" in other "player", not only in "exe" like now" request is out of the question because that would require a complete rewrite based on flash (like lassie I linked before).

EDIT: Just edited a few things to make it more clear.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:45:13 AM by odnorf »
fl*p

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »

Can we suggest what "ping" will be supported by engine itself (if we assume client-server is ideal). Could it be in range of 20-50 ms? Won't WME "generete" some lags and delays itself because of scripts execution? We surelly should make some tests before making decision, but would be interesting to here any ideas and expirience about that from community.

That depends on so many things...But 20-50 ms is really fast ( I mean if I ping google or WoW servers I get 90ms-150ms , so 20-50ms is science fiction ;) ... Depends on the Server, how many people are on it, and and and. It doesn't really have anything to do with WME itself because you have to code the network stuff yourself in a DLL. And WME doesn't eat up THAT much power that it will slow down other processes significantly.

Art

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »

I ment, if WME itself has some lags calling script events...?

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.