Wintermute Engine > WME sources discussion

Debug or Release?

(1/2) > >>

Sothoth:
Hi!

Following the (marvellously explained) steps from http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=5434.0 I just compiled the so called "engine runtime". Because I'm only interested in DX9, I built Debug D3D9 and Release D3D9 only.

My question is: what's the difference between Debug and Release builds? The executable file name is the same in both cases: "wme_D3D9.exe". Which may I use to run my game?

And, do I need another file apart from the .exe file?

Thank you very much in advance! You rock! :)

Mnemonic:
For everyday use, definitely Release. The Debug build is only useful for debugging the engine. It has various runtime checks enabled and it runs considerably slower.

Sothoth:

--- Quote from: Mnemonic on July 25, 2013, 04:03:04 PM ---For everyday use, definitely Release. The Debug build is only useful for debugging the engine. It has various runtime checks enabled and it runs considerably slower.

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much, Mnemonic. About whether I need another file apart from the .exe file, is it enough to overwrite the existing wme_D3D9.exe file into a existing wme_devkit installation with the new one?

Mnemonic:
Yes, it should be enough.

Sothoth:

--- Quote from: Mnemonic on July 25, 2013, 04:26:13 PM ---Yes, it should be enough.

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much again. WME rocks! ::rock

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version