Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Fred English Public PreAlpha ready!!  (Read 26369 times)

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Fred English Public PreAlpha ready!!
« on: July 04, 2003, 03:43:27 PM »

I know that it has passed a lot of time since I said "the prealpha will be ready tomorrow", but blame the translator, all the delay was caused by him  ::).
But now it's ready to rock! Download the Fred English Public PreAlpha (what a long name) here!:

http://www.forbidden-games.com

And please, post your comments, i'm very interested!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 06:35:34 PM by McCoy »

Click here to sign my sig!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re:Fred English Public PreAlpha ready!! (II)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 10:43:01 AM »

Sorry if anyone saw the old post (I guess not), I deleted it because the prealpha had a little bug, and some things without translate, now all is fixed & uploaded  ;D.

There still are some missing translations, especially when looking in the inventory and using things there. But that's okay for an alpha version.

Anyway - what a great improvement from the first alpha! I was surprised you already implemented some nice fitting music and sound effects (even for walking). And I laughed my ass off when opening the fridge. ;-)

Yeah, as already mentioned I prefer the new graphic style. The music theme you worked with sounds like a melody, that was (mis-)used for a German XMAS-Song (don't know if this is a international xmas-song or if you wanted it to sound like that), anyway it's really funny.

Now - great work until now, and a well solved inventory ! Continue!! :)

Oh, one thing left: your second scene was inspirated by Sam&Max, right ? ;)
Mooh!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 11:49:47 AM »

There still are some missing translations, especially when looking in the inventory and using things there. But that's okay for an alpha version.

Wow, one of the glitches I fixed was the missed translation of looking the objects of the inventory, but, you're right, when you use one thing with another, the messages you get if that action is not correct are in spanish  :P. I'll fix that and upload it again. (Oh no... another 7mb with my f****** 56k conection...)

Anyway - what a great improvement from the first alpha! I was surprised you already implemented some nice fitting music and sound effects (even for walking). And I laughed my ass off when opening the fridge. ;-)

Well, that stupid rolling "animation" will be replaced with an special "I did it!" animation in the final game, I made that just to remember where that kind of animations must be placed.

The music theme you worked with sounds like a melody, that was (mis-)used for a German XMAS-Song (don't know if this is a international xmas-song or if you wanted it to sound like that), anyway it's really funny.

An XMAS song?? Oh my...  :-[ . I don't think it's international, at least, the first time I ever heared that song was while I was searching for MIDIs, I thought it would fit and I putted it in the game. ;D

Now - great work until now, and a well solved inventory ! Continue!! :)

Thanx! ;D

Yeah, you catched it.  ;)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 12:12:42 PM »

Nice work, Forbidden Games! :) It looks very clean and polished (although the second scene looks awfully familiar... ;))

A small suggestion: wouldn't it be better to display the actions menu when holding the *left*mouse button? The left button seems to be pretty much useless right now.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 12:58:13 PM »

A small suggestion: wouldn't it be better to display the actions menu when holding the *left*mouse button? The left button seems to be pretty much useless right now.

Well, I don't know if it's a windows habit, but I feel a lot more confortable using the RMB for pop-up or contextual menus. Using the LMB I feel strange, like it's... unnatural  :-[? It's strange but that's it. It's just like if in my brain the RMB is naturally attached to a pop-up or contextual menu function...  :-\

BTW, the LMB is used to select objects from the inventory, skip dialogs and navigate through the main menu, so it's not completely useles...  :P

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 06:24:36 PM »

Ok... I haven't finished it yet (I can't find the keys... oh, I feel so embarassed! :( ) but I have a few things to say (in randomly order, as they come to my mind).

First of all : WOW!!! This is a really good!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Except the inventory items not translated, there is another one : just look at the "box full of knicks-knack".

Why the computer & the monitor are called "cpu"?

The fridge-opening is really funny!

A small bug : when the inventory is opened the game isn't "paused". This is not really a bug, but it would lead to strange things. For example, you can move the character if you like, you may miss some dialogue lines because the inventory is almost-full-screen, etc.

I really think that you should change the right-click-menu to a left-click menu (as Jan suggested). I played the game for 5 minutes and my hand hearts. I am not used to click AND hold the right mouse button all the time. If you really think that it's better to work with the right button, then please add an option for it in the menus. (And if you use the left mouse for the actions-menu, then you could use the right button for the inventory)

A small suggestion. I always use shortcuts when they exist. Especially in an adventure game. So I would suggest to put some (near-buttons) shortcuts for the 3 actions, the inventory, the game menu, the load menu, the exit menu. It's what I did for "dreams". Maybe you could even make a settings menu were the player could adjust the shortcuts (it can be done by using the registry, it's what I am doing now for "dreams").

Well... that's all I think for now... keep up the good work!

I notice that you hvae changed the icon of the wme interprenter. How did you do it? Did you hack it?

You might want to consider change the game's resolution to 1024x768. It's what I am doing with "dreams" and it looks so much better in big monitors (19 or 21 inches) :)

I know that you said (in the readme) that you want the fps with an e-mail but I am really bored to do that so....
I tested the demo in two computers:

Celeron 400Mhz, 64MB RAM, intel 810 graphic chipset : the game runs at 39-38fps, which drops to 5 in the beginning of EVERY "character walk" (until it loads the sprite I guess), and also it drops to 9fps when he actions-menu is enabled. So, it's playable but not really enjoyable.

AthonXP 1800+, 512MB DDR333 RAM, radeon9000 pro 128MB : the game (with vsync enabled) runs really smoothly at 95-100fps.

I'll fix that and upload it again. (Oh no... another 7mb with my f****** 56k conection...)

Well I upload 35MBs (the "dreams" preview) with my 56kpbs modem. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 06:33:56 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 07:51:33 PM »

Hey, thanks you for our feedback! lets see...

First of all : WOW!!! This is a really good!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Thanx! And if this is the first thing that came to your mind... I'm really happy!  ;D

Except the inventory items not translated, there is another one : just look at the "box full of knicks-knack".

Well, I fixed the inventory thingie & uploaded the game again. I'll check the knicks-knack thingie in a while... but I don't think I'm going to upload the game again just for that  ;)

A small bug : when the inventory is opened the game isn't "paused". This is not really a bug, but it would lead to strange things. For example, you can move the character if you like, you may miss some dialogue lines because the inventory is almost-full-screen, etc.

Yeah, I think there's a variable in the inventory definition for doing that, EXCLUSIVE = something , so I think that changing it to TRUE will do the trick ;). Never worried about it, tough, but I'll change it.

I really think that you should change the right-click-menu to a left-click menu (as Jan suggested). I played the game for 5 minutes and my hand hearts. I am not used to click AND hold the right mouse button all the time. If you really think that it's better to work with the right button, then please add an option for it in the menus. (And if you use the left mouse for the actions-menu, then you could use the right button for the inventory)

Yep, I prefer the setting stuff, "let the player choose" is my second name  ;D. So now I need to code radio buttons or comboboxes... oh no...  :P

A small suggestion. I always use shortcuts when they exist. Especially in an adventure game. So I would suggest to put some (near-buttons) shortcuts for the 3 actions, the inventory, the game menu, the load menu, the exit menu. It's what I did for "dreams". Maybe you could even make a settings menu were the player could adjust the shortcuts (it can be done by using the registry, it's what I am doing now for "dreams").

Yeah, I have thought about it, but I forgot...  :-[ I like shortcuts too ;D

I notice that you hvae changed the icon of the wme interprenter. How did you do it? Did you hack it?
Yep, I used Resource Hacker, you can get it here http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/. It's freeware, but just an advice: don't change EVERYTHING in the executable, like I have done, only change the icon and rename the executable, keep all the other info untouched. (Mnemonic, I have uploaded the updated version with only the new icon and the renamed executable and everything else as the original,  sorry for the other version.)

You might want to consider change the game's resolution to 1024x768. It's what I am doing with "dreams" and it looks so much better in big monitors (19 or 21 inches) :)
Well, too late, all the graphics are adapted to 800x600 now. And I have a 19'' monitor... and it looks ok. Anyway, who has a 19'' or 21'' monitor?  ;D

Celeron 400Mhz, 64MB RAM, intel 810 graphic chipset : the game runs at 39-38fps, which drops to 5 in the beginning of EVERY "character walk" (until it loads the sprite I guess), and also it drops to 9fps when he actions-menu is enabled. So, it's playable but not really enjoyable.

Sorry, I have triyed everything to solve the action-menu slowdown. It seems that the problem was with the sleep time of the loop. I putted it to 100ms, and in systems a bit better it seem that the game goes well. I'll recheck it, but as I said in another post, its a s*** to have a good computer for developing & testing (not for playing, of course ;))

Again, thanx for your feedback! It was really useful!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 08:16:02 PM »

Well, I fixed the inventory thingie & uploaded the game again. I'll check the knicks-knack thingie in a while... but I don't think I'm going to upload the game again just for that  

Oh... no! More downloads now... :)

Well, too late, all the graphics are adapted to 800x600 now. And I have a 19'' monitor... and it looks ok. Anyway, who has a 19'' or 21'' monitor?  

Well... it looks ok, but 1024x768 looks even better... And I have a 19inch monitor. :) The problem with the 19+ inches monitors is that IMHO they suck when they display resolutions lower than 1024x768.

Sorry, I have triyed everything to solve the action-menu slowdown. It seems that the problem was with the sleep time of the loop. I putted it to 100ms, and in systems a bit better it seem that the game goes well. I'll recheck it, but as I said in another post, its a s*** to have a good computer for developing & testing (not for playing, of course )

He! He! :) No problem here (at least for me) because my system is the second one... I just tested the game on this old computer to give you the results.
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 11:51:28 AM »

OK... I just finished it!  ;D

Another thing that come to my mind (yeah, I never control my thoughts, they "come" and "go" without asking all the time :))

I believe that it would be better if Fred was not saying "this looks like a scen from a lucasarts game" but maybe something like "Hm... this scene looks awfully familiar!". In this example you don't say to the player what he has to see, but that there is something to see. You could also make some funny joke with the Detective's (Sam n' Max) door! Why miss this great oportunity?
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 12:24:30 PM »

All right, I'll comment all that to the scripters, and let's see what they decide  ;D

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 01:07:53 PM »

laughed my ass off when opening the fridge. ;-)
Well, that stupid rolling "animation" will be replaced with an special "I did it!"

Animation ? Hm - no I guess it was the sound that made me laughing. :)

The music theme you worked with sounds like a melody, that was (mis-)used for a German XMAS-Song (don't know if this is a international xmas-song or if you wanted it to sound like that), anyway it's really funny.
An XMAS song?? Oh my...  :-[ . I don't think it's international, at least, the first time I ever heared that song was while I was searching for MIDIs, I thought it would fit and I putted it in the game. ;D

I played the original on the piano (variations by Mozart) a long time ago, the original is "Ah, vous dirai-je Maman" (Paris, ca. 1778).

I forgot something - the melody is used in another FAMOUS song, every child learns here - it's the "alphabet song" to learn the ABC. :)

It sounds funny anyway and it's not EXACTLY the theme, but it sounds as if the creator wanted that song to sound similiar to it. Check this one :
http://perso.club-internet.fr/bmarcore/Tine/ME138.mid

Yeah, you catched it.  ;)

Yeah, but I missed Fred's comment about it that odnorf mentioned here, else I wouldn't have asked...

Oh, and - i'd prefer a left click menu too. The right-click could be very useful to switch to the inventory (like in The Longest Journey), but I could live with it. It just gets confusing, when you try to do use the things it the same way in the inventory - where it is the LEFT button...
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 04:03:39 PM »

In the first scene there are 43 scripts running and in the second scene there are 20 scripts. What is so difference between those two scenes that need all those extra 23 scripts?
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »

In the first scene there are 43 scripts running and in the second scene there are 20 scripts. What is so difference between those two scenes that need all those extra 23 scripts?
Lots of interactive objects within the scene, I suppose...?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 05:06:10 PM »

Two more things:
1)Why do you have "global music" & "music" volumes? What's the difference between those two?
2)When the game starts, if I press the F1 (or esc) the game skips the introduction and goes to the first scene. Is this a bug?
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 11:40:48 PM »

1)Why do you have "global music" & "music" volumes? What's the difference between those two?

Global music and Music volume?? As far as I know, the only volume controls that the menu has is Global volume (Game.SetGlobalMasterVolume), Music Volume (Game.SetGlobalMusicVolume) Effects Volume (Game.SetGlobalSFXVolume) and the unavailable Speech Volume, and that's all!

2)When the game starts, if I press the F1 (or esc) the game skips the introduction and goes to the first scene. Is this a bug?

No, it's not a bug! In fact, it's a feature I added. It's useful to have the possibility of skipping cinematic scenes, don't you think?  ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.