Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Complex Sprite 3D textures  (Read 9092 times)

raychaser

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Complex Sprite 3D textures
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:02:14 PM »

Just throwing in my request from another forum thread.

Let me sell this a bit: It would kick some serious butt to be able to control complex sprites as textures. Imagine: eyes, eyebrows, mouths, hell even hair on different subframes that have their animations and scripts controlling their positions etc. Change a character's tie, shirt, socks, shoes on the fly without having to re-render the entire texture. put a gaping wound or bullet hole on your character on the fly. Animate a flowing wound, tears, snow accumulating in hair etc. Every minute I spend thinking about this yields more possibilities of what we could do with it.

What I need it for specifically: Face Engine

You could do things like:
actor.mood("Happy");

mood() could be a user-defined method that would control the eyes, eyebrows, mouth etc in different ways. You could easily write a function to make the eyes look at things and have the expressions change subtly. Also the footprint would be miniscule because the eye graphic would be less than 4k and you wouldn't need a whole face texture for every eye position.

This might also pave the way to a lip-syncing ability

What is required here is that the transparency and colour be calculated from the sum of all frames and subframes.

eh? eh?

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Complex Sprite 3D textures
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »

can't you swap textures already on a 3d model.. or is that only when the model loads? 3dactor.SetTexture ??
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:51:06 PM »

you can indeed swap the textures.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »

As Jyujinkai suggested in the IRC channel, one should be able to achieve that with smart modeling (multiple layers, then setting their materials). As I explained in the other thread, manipulating multi-layered textures on engine-level would either require multitexturing (variable support on various video cards) or pre-processing the texture (slow and limited to rectangular resulting texture).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.