Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Errors in compilation  (Read 52756 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Errors in compilation
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

lacosaweb: Try setting the Windows SDK version, as described here: http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3463.msg21388#msg21388 Different SDK versions behave differently.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »

lacosaweb: Try setting the Windows SDK version, as described here: http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3463.msg21388#msg21388 Different SDK versions behave differently.

Same errors:

Error   1   error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'PVOID64'   c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\winnt.h   236   wme_base
etc...

Changing #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400  to #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0500 doesn't work.

Any other possibility?

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »

If anyone can get this to work with the suggestions that have been posted in this thread, would you please post here exactly what you did?

I would guess that it's possible to change the screen dimensions for the outputted game?  If you can go bigger, you can go smaller?

I would like to see if it's possible to get WME ported to iphone.  I think it's possible but not sure how to proceed.  I know it's not impossible but I'm not a professional programmer. I am just a little self-taught Cat.  :  )  I know Ogre 3D is porting to iphone.  And I know that once you have a file that can be loaded into and tweaked in project builder on mac, you can make an iphone capable game. That is how some other game engines appear to get their games ported to iphone.  You use the base game engine to create a game and then use C++ or Objective C to load it via iphone SDK into an iphone ready game.  It's just an interesting thought. : )  I am far away from being able to do it but am keeping it in the back of my head as I study making a game engine for iphone.  : )  The big game engines like Unity and Torque seem to take this approach imho from what I have read.  At least with Torque, from what I have read, you build the game in the Torque engine, whether 2d or 3d, but then use C++ scripts to load it in the iphone sdk as you can't use Torquescript.  That info could be wrong.  Am only going by what I've read.

I'm very happy with Wintermute for PC but thinking if other engines can be ported to iphone, why not Wintermute.  :  ) 

Don't say it's impossible.  Just say it's hard.  Hard I can deal with.  :  )
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:35:07 AM by Catacomber »
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »

I would like to see if it's possible to get WME ported to iphone.  I think it's possible but not sure how to proceed.  I know it's not impossible but I'm not a professional programmer. I am just a little self-taught Cat.  :  )  I know Ogre 3D is porting to iphone.  And I know that once you have a file that can be loaded into and tweaked in project builder on mac, you can make an iphone capable game. That is how some other game engines appear to get their games ported to iphone.  You use the base game engine to create a game and then use C++ or Objective C to load it via iphone SDK into an iphone ready game.  It's just an interesting thought. : )  I am far away from being able to do it but am keeping it in the back of my head as I study making a game engine for iphone.  : )  The big game engines like Unity and Torque seem to take this approach imho from what I have read.  At least with Torque, from what I have read, you build the game in the Torque engine, whether 2d or 3d, but then use C++ scripts to load it in the iphone sdk as you can't use Torquescript.  That info could be wrong.  Am only going by what I've read.

I'm very happy with Wintermute for PC but thinking if other engines can be ported to iphone, why not Wintermute.  :  ) 

Don't say it's impossible.  Just say it's hard.  Hard I can deal with.  :  )

It's not impossible, but it's hard. WME is programmed with C++, but it have a lot of references to DirectX and Windows environment. All these references must to be replaced by the new platform.

Adapting WME to other platforms is an interesting thing specially for iPhone where the adventure games are growing popularity, but it's hard word.

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »

So hard--not impossible.  :  )  Am beginning to read and work through this:  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596805265/

Chugging down Objective C at the same time.  :  )  The book (manuscript right now) basically teaches you how to build a game editor for iphone.  It is very clear.  If I can work through this and actually get things to work so I understand it, then will see if can identify what are the windows components of wme source and whether they can be replaced at all and work.

It's a worthwhile project, imho, and I know it will take a long time and be hard but it it's not impossible--it's kind of interesting.  So right now all I have to be able to do is read and understand the wme source code.

But would really like to compile it so if someone can do it successfully without errors using Visual C 2008 and DirectX9 and the DirectX8 platform if necessary, detailed instructions would be appreciated.  :  ) 

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »

I'm too interested to export WME games to iphone, I'm in the same state as you. I'm trying to compile WME in my PC and then try to adapt it to iPhone SDK, but at firt I need to know how WME source code works and it's difficult because it has a lot of scripts. The best person that knows it is Jan Nedoma but now he's so busy with development of WME2

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 03:57:21 AM »

Is it possible to put a wrapper around the game itself (the exec file) that would enable porting to iphone?  Rather than tweaking the source code to be iphone compatible?  I notice from a little reading that such a thing might be possible. In fact some game engines that port games to multiplatforms use that as a method to do the job.  I don't understand wrappers yet but it looks like an easier way.  Still researching.  :  )  I think the Wintermute engine does its job very well--if it were possible to somehow wrap the exec file onto other platforms that would be great. If you don't think I'm talking about something possible, feel free to rap me on the head.  :  )

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »

No, it's not that simple, unfortunately.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »

Hi, I can compile without errors the wme_base and wme_ad, but when I try to compile wme this errors are showing:

Error   1   error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "char const * __stdcall DXGetErrorString8A(long)" (?DXGetErrorString8A@@YGPBDJ@Z)   wme_base_d3d9.lib   wme
Error   2   fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals   D:\soft\wme\src\wme\ReleaseD3D9\wme_D3D9.exe   wme

Anyone know what is the cause?
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:04:42 AM by lacosaweb »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »

Are you using the latest sources (1.8.11)? I made some changes to the sources to address some issues reported here. One of them is I removed the call to DXGetErrorString8, because the later versions of DirectX SDK don't contain the function anymore (it's replaced by generic DXGetErrorString).
It would seem you're still compiling 1.8.10.

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »

Ok, I was compiling the 1.8.10 sources, thanks.

Now, with 1.8.11 sources I can compile wme without errors.

A wme_D3D9.exe is generated but when I try to execute it an error message is showing telling "Some essential files for the game can't be loaded. Reinstall the game and try again"

In the wme_D3D9.exe folder I have these files:

23/09/2009  12:43            41.644 BuildLog.htm
23/09/2009  12:43                62 mt.dep
23/09/2009  12:39           478.208 vc90.idb
23/09/2009  12:39         2.134.016 vc90.pdb
23/09/2009  12:39           438.669 wme.obj
23/09/2009  12:39           145.124 wme.res
23/09/2009  12:43         2.061.824 wme_D3D9.exe
23/09/2009  12:43               381 wme_D3D9.exe.intermediate.manifest
23/09/2009  12:43               865 wme_D3D9.exp
23/09/2009  12:43             2.084 wme_D3D9.lib
23/09/2009  12:43         1.682.997 wme_D3D9.map
23/09/2009  12:39        22.609.920 wme_D3D9.pch
23/09/2009  12:43         8.883.200 wme_D3D9.pdb

What is the cause of this error?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:47:39 PM by lacosaweb »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »

Now you need to tell the engine what game to run. In project settings in Visual Studio you need to fill startup arguments.

Go to the Solution Explorer tab, right-click project name and select “Properties”. A project properties window will pop up. In the left list select Debugging. On the right side you need to fill the Command Arguments properties:

Command Arguments
Fill in -project “path_to_your_wme_project.wpr”, for example:
-project "c:\Program Files\WME DevKit\projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr"

Don't forget to enclose the project file path in quotes, especially if it contains spaces.

Also you may need to copy dcscomp.dll to the same directory where wme.exe is, otherwise the engine won't be able to compile scripts (symptom - you only get a black window when you run the game).

lacosaweb

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »

Ok, now it works in Release mode! Thanks a lot.

When I try to run in debug mode a popup message is showing with this text:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Unable to start program 'd:\soft\wme\wme_src_1811\src\wme\DebugD3D9\wme_D3D9.exe'.

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. For more details, please see the application event log.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »

The debug builds of C++ apps reference a debug version of Visual C++ runtime libraries (it's a bunch of DLLs installed in Windows\WinSxS directory). Those libraries *should* have been installed with Visual Studio. You typically get this error when they cannot be found, though...

Kinjal

• WME Kinjal Edition Developer
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

Unable to compile 1.9.0 beta source with VS2008 + DX August 2009 + Win7 SDK:
>------ Build started: Project: wme_base, Configuration: ReleaseD3D9
> Win32
> ------
> 1>Compiling...
> 1>StdAfx.cpp
> 1>c:\devprojects\wme
> devkit\source\src\engine_core\wme_base\BSoundMgr.h(56)
> : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier
> 'm_DirectSound'
> : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does
> not support default-int
> : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does
> not support default-int
> 1>c:\devprojects\wme devkit\source\src\engine_core\wme_base\BGame.h(41) :
> error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPDIRECTSOUND8'
> 1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\DevProjects\WME
> DevKit\Source\src\engine_core\wme_base\ReleaseD3D9\BuildLog.htm"
> 1>wme_base - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s)

How to fix it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 26 queries.