Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Hidden Geometry questions  (Read 5601 times)

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Hidden Geometry questions
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »

Hi guys,
I know similar things have been asked a million times already, but i couldn't find a post that answers my problem
I'm learning how to setup the 3D characters and invisible geometry by doing a test scene for an upcoming project we'll do at work (Mnemonic, the great news is that the deadline got pushed back a couple of months), but i seem to be completely lost and will be very thankful if someone gave me some pointers... the problems are:
I cant seem to setup the invisible geometry properly... I modelled a simple corridor in SILO and exported as OBJ to render in Vue and export the low-poly version of the geometry, lights and camera from there  to 3DS (much thanks for the heads up with the Vue-to-3ds export to Nihil) Once imported in WME i don't see the hidden geometry, but the camera name is in the box... After lots of attempts, i scaled the geometry inside Vue like 10 times the original size... and in WME the geometry showed up, BUT all the surfaces and boxes of which consisted the hidden geometry lost their coordinates and got centered in the middle of the camera target point ?!?!?!... after trying a million ways i couldn't make it work :( Then i installed an illegal copy of MAX, just to export the scene and see the result... and finally got my hidden geometry in WME

BUT only the floor (named it walk_floor) worked as a walkable area, the walls (blk_01, etc) don't stop the model from walking.

Other weirdnesses are:
the stencil shadows also seem completely off
the mouse doesn't work to move the character (just keyboard input), but it works on the front scene (i replaced the back scene of the WME Trinity demo)

I know that I'm doing something very wrong, but i really got lost.
Could anyone that has experience with hidden geometry and 3D characters, please explain the whole process of exporting/importing, please!
What is the scale you use for the hidden geometry (i know that every software exports 3DS differently)?
I also tried the Blender scene export tutorial without any luck!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:56:39 PM by nuclear_winter »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Hidden Geometry questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »

Not much of an advice, but if you have trouble exporting the blocked areas, you can use the 2D based path finding. It should be actually much easier to setup.

But anyway, hopefully some artist will be more helpful when it comes to hidden geometry exporting...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:17:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply Mnemonic... I want somebody to explain the whole process (if they have the time ofcourse), because there is something that im doing wrong along the way, but dont know where exactly!
Please help!

Thanks

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »

It should be pretty straightforward in Max... :( You can try doing the "modifier stack collapse" (or whatever it's called) before exporting the geometry.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:18:36 AM »

You are right, all objects seem to get placed in the middle of the scene when exporting - sorry, I didn't realize that when trying out the PLE. Looks like VUE is no option either :-(

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »

You are right, all objects seem to get placed in the middle of the scene when exporting
Interestingly when i open the 3DS scene exported from Vue (the same that collapses in WME) in MAX, the coordinates are preserved as they should.

Nihil, can you spare some time to explain your workflow for 3D geometry? I apologise if I'm being annoying, but i have nowhere else to ask.

thanks

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »

I tried to open it in Carrara, and there all objects were in the middle ... strange.

Unfortunately, I can't tell more about the creation of hidden geometry as I don't use it - my game will be pure 2d, and I have no other programs that can export 3ds with cams and lights (except Blender of course), so I fear that Max, Maya and Blender are the only known possibilities so far - at least I don't know of any other.

Maybe some of the teams developing in 2.5d can share their knowledge?

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:15:55 PM »

Thanks for the answers Nihil and Mnemonic.
I played today with the hidden geometry from the trinity demo and scaled mine to match the size (something like 800 meters for the walls in silo) and the names are correct, but i still don't get collision with the walls and only keyboard movement :(
Wasn't there a demo here on the forums of a resident evil kind of game that was complete with the source? or maybe I'm imagining things. found it.... the closet

Thanks again for the support... I'll keep trying!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:33:12 PM by nuclear_winter »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:23:29 PM »

Wasn't there a demo here on the forums of a resident evil kind of game that was complete with the source? or maybe I'm imagining things.
Yup, leucome's The Closet: http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=1873.0

nuclear_winter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »

Thanks Mnemonic, we found it at the same time  ;D
I'll study the source now!

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.