Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: really noob questions  (Read 3053 times)

neo83_gr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • civensoftware
really noob questions
« on: September 11, 2004, 06:32:20 PM »

hello there adventure developers!
i have recently downloaded the wme.all this time i was using adventure maker (with a crack..) and i made 3 myst style 1st person games.so i have no idea of scripting at all!
I now want to create a game similar to the (perfect :D) dead city.And when i say similar i mean it.exactly the same inerface cause i find it very very good for telling a good story and there is no need for animations.
so i need some basic advices : how to hide the actor and the ''look , talk ,pick'' interface ,be able to create conversations and more...just like in the dead city.
i would like to know if there is a complete tutorial for making games like that and if wme is good and easy for 1st person games

thanks for yor help

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: really noob questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 09:45:06 AM »

how to hide the actor

The simplest way: create new project using the "Basic project" template. Then download this file and copy the contents over the "actors\molly" directory in your project folder. This will make your game 1st person :)

and the ''look , talk ,pick'' interface

The actions menu is smart enough not to display when there is nothing to display. In other words, if your game object's scripts will only contain event handlers for "LeftClick" and "RightClick", the menu won't show. Your objects' scripts will look like this:

Code: [Select]
#include "scripts\base.inc"

on "LeftClick"
{
  // some code to perform an action on this object
}

on "RightClick"
{
  actor.Talk("Description of the object comes here."); 
}

be able to create conversations

Please see the oldguy.script in the WME demo for an example of a conversation script.

i would like to know if there is a complete tutorial for making games like that and if wme is good and easy for 1st person games

Unfortunately not, at least I'm not aware of any. But creating this kind of game is quite easy, really. It's a very different approach then in AM, mind you. But after you get used to it, you'll find it easy and flexible (hopefully :))
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.