Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Escaping a warning to the feeble minded  (Read 3450 times)

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Escaping a warning to the feeble minded
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »

If like me you suffer from a high degree of stupidity then might I share this warning with you.  Today I managed to disable the capability to use either escape of F1 to launch the main menu. I spent a good hour investigating this problem, including copying over the scripts folder, creating a vanilla project, inspecting the main game loop file to see what I had done.  It seemed the only way I could get escape to function was to insert a Debug() call.

Then I found out my error, there is a widget in the top left hand corner of the debug screen which allows you to keep it permanently on tap. I had in error pressed it.  One of the features of selecting this option is that it apparently disables escape and F1. I am sure this is documented somewhere, but for those of us with fading memories who may not recall everything I have ever read , please take this post as a health warning

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Escaping a warning to the feeble minded
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »

I can't confirm this. Even if I pin the debug console as "always on top", keyboard shortcuts in WME happily work. Of course, the WME window must be focused.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »

doesn't happen here either.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »

I tried the focus thing and that didn't fix it. Itvwas ok when tge debug window was physically over the game, and then I clicked through to focus the game window. If the debug window was to one side then escape f1 were ignored

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »

Could not reproduce this here either. BUT I do know the phenomenon itself that keys don't work. Often times when I start my game from the Project Manager the window is clearly focused because I can send my character somewhere else, interact with things etc. but all the keys (including ESC and F1) would not be accepted. What I do then is to click somewhere else like on the Windows Taskbar or another open program and then click back into the Game window and then the Keys are available.

However for me that occurs randomly, sometimes it works fine from the start sometimes not. I wasn't able to pinpoint this behavior to any special cause.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.