Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Quest log  (Read 3141 times)

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Quest log
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:10:23 AM »

I have a Quest log in our game--it's there in very lengthy, code-demanding format -- there has to be a simpler way--does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this in the simplest way?

Our game is very heavy on quests.  You meet someone--they give you a task.  The quest shows up as something to be done.

You finish the task.  The quest shows up as finished.

My way of doing this takes up a lot of code as mentioned.  I use a global when the quest is given, if global is true a box is checked.  When it's finished, another box is checked.  As the game is already very large, I'd like to cut this down to its simplest format.

Or should an adventure game not have an in-game quest log?  Is pen and pencil better?   

This is an example of the code for a quest showing up.  Qu3 is just a description of the quest.  Q3T is whether the box that you get the quest is checked.  Q3F is the box that shows whether you have finished the quest:

Code: WME Script
  1. global girdle;
  2. if(girdle == null)
  3. {
  4. Qu3.Visible = false;
  5. Q3T.Visible = false;
  6. Q3F.Visible = false;
  7. }
  9. if(girdle == 1)
  10. {
  11. Qu3.Visible = true;
  12. Q3T.Visible = true;
  13. Q3F.Visible = false;
  14. }
  16. if(girdle == 2)
  17. {
  18. Qu3.Visible = true;
  19. Q3T.Visible = false;
  20. Q3F.Visible = true;
  21. }

And lastly but most importantly, I'd like the quest log to be filled up as the player encounters a quest, so that whether it's quest 1 or quest 15, the encountered quest shows up in the log as the first one.  So far I've not been able to figure out how to do this.  I'm sure it means an array of some kind but I am not that savvy re arrays.  I need a little push in the right direction. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:15:07 AM by Catacomber »
http://www.catacomber.com/
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Birdline

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Birdline Web Site
Re: Quest log
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »

And lastly but most importantly, I'd like the quest log to be filled up as the player encounters a quest, so that whether it's quest 1 or quest 15, the encountered quest shows up in the log as the first one.
I don't agree. I put quest No 15 to its position. The above space is empty (until the other quests are taken/solved).
This way the player knows that he missed something (1-14)

Spyros

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
Re: Quest log
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:44:58 AM »

That I can do easily, Birdline and agree with your approach.  It is really much better than having them fill in as you get them because you will never know which ones you missed if they fill in that way. 

Thank you so much.  Life is so much easier that way.  You are truly wonderful!  Sometimes the simple approach is the best. 

Each quest has its own space.  :  )  So it's a lot of code because of the number of quests, but it works perfectly.  :  )  Code doesn't take up a whole lot of bytes.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it.  :  )

And this way anyone using a forum could help fill in a quest list and I don't have to put one up.  They will have fun discovering which quests are which and I can sip my catnip tea.  :  )
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:54:32 AM by Catacomber »
http://www.catacomber.com/
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 25 queries.