Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: skinmeshhelper error on compile  (Read 23391 times)

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
skinmeshhelper error on compile
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

I'm trying to compile Wintermute with Visual C++ 2008 express edition.  I have directx 8 so I got past the d3dx8 errors but now am getting the following errors:

error C2660: 'ID3DXSkinMesh::GenerateSkinnedMesh' : function does not take 7 arguments
error C2660: 'ID3DXSkinMesh::UpdateSkinnedMesh' : function does not take 3 arguments

I also get a linking error but I think this is secondary to the above errors.

Does anyone know how to fix these?

Thanks.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: skinmeshhelper error on compile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »

As far as I know you cannot compile WME with Visual Studio Express, because of the limited functionality. You need the full Visual C++ at least, or am I wrong?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »

Spell: I think you're wrong.
binary1: Seems like a mismatch between DirectX version and project settings. WME project comes with two build configurations, one for DX8 and one for DX9. DX8 version of UpdateSkinnedMesh DOES take 3 arguments. The DX9 version doesn't. You seem to be compiling DX8 build of WME against DX9 headers.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »

Was it WME Lite?  I dunno. There was something about some SDK that did not compile with the express version...

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:09 AM »

I checked the configuration in VS 2008 but it is set at debug, not debugd3d9.  I did try switching to dbugd3d9 but got a lot of errors with that.  I tried with the release configuration but got the same two errors that I had with the debug configuration.  After that I pulled out an old computer with Visual Studio 2005 (full version) but get the same two errors.  I'm going to look up the functions to see if I can figure out what is going on.  Anything else I can check?  I appreciate the help.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »

Check the directory settings in Visual Studio preferences (Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories).
Make sure the DX8 include and library directores are earlier in the list than DX9 ones.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »

It seems that SkinMeshHelper.h has the following:

HRESULT GenerateSkinnedMesh(DWORD Options, FLOAT minWeight, CONST LPDWORD pAdjacencyIn, LPDWORD pAdjacencyOut, LPD3DXMESH* ppMesh);
   HRESULT UpdateSkinnedMesh(CONST D3DXMATRIX* pBoneTransforms, LPD3DXMESH pMesh);

but there are 7 parameters for GenerateSkinnedMesh and 3 parameters for UpdateSkinnedMesh in SkinMeshHelper.cpp

I'm going to try to edit the header file.

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »

Actually when I looked again at SkinnedMeshHelper.cpp, there were extra nulls in the return statements.

For example, GenerateSkinnedMesh had:
return m_SkinMesh->GenerateSkinnedMesh(Options, minWeight, pAdjacencyIn, pAdjacencyOut, NULL, NULL, ppMesh);

When I removed the NULL parameters, the two errors disappeared.  I have to locate D3DX8.lib but I think everything should work now.

Thanks!

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »

I didn't have d3dx8.lib but finally managed to locate directx 8 online and installed the full version.  That changed my original errors into the opposite problem - now the program reported too few parameters for the two functions.  So... I restored the original versions. 

The program now compiles with a lot of warnings, mostly about vc80.pdb not found usually with a libvorbis file but no errors.  However, when I try to run the executable, I get the following error:  The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I'm going to re-install libvorbis but I'm not sure if this is the problem.  Has anyone else seen this error message or knows what to do about it?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »

Do you get this error even for the release build?
Also, what do you mean by reinstalling libVorbis? You're not using the libs that come with WME sources?

This error means the executable is referencing external DLL libraries that are not installed on your machine. Typically this is about the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime. However, the Release build of WME shouldn't reference that, only the Debug build does.

Make sure you have the Visual Studio service packs installed.

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »

I get the problem with both the release and debug versions.  I am using the libs that came with wme but was wondering if I needed to do something else.

I just tried again with VS 2005 with about the same result.  Everything compiles but there are a lot of warnings and the program won't run.  When I try to run the program (VS 2005), I get: "Some of the essential game files cannot be loaded.  Please reinstall the game and try again."

Here are the warnings from VS2005 (release version):

3>Generating code
3>f:\projects\wme\src\external_lib\libtheora\lib\dec\quant.c(117) : warning C4701: potentially uninitialized local variable 'plj' used
3>f:\projects\wme\src\external_lib\libtheora\lib\dec\decode.c(1436) : warning C4701: potentially uninitialized local variable 'last_zzi' used
3>Finished generating code
3>libtheora.lib(bitpack.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(mmxstate.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(state.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(mmxfrag.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(decinfo.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(mmxloopfilter.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(decode1.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(x86state.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(info.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(idct1.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(apiwrapper.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(internal.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(dequant.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(decapiwrapper.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(huffdec.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(fragment.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(quant1.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libtheora.lib(mmxidct.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(adler32.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(compress.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(crc32.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(deflate.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(inffast.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(inflate.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(inftrees.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(trees.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(uncompr.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>zlib.lib(zutil.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(png.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngerror.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngget.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngmem.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngread.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngrio.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngrtran.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngrutil.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngset.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libpng.lib(pngtrans.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jcomapi.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdapimin.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdapistd.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdcoefct.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdcolor.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jddctmgr.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdhuff.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdinput.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdmainct.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdmarker.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdmaster.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdmerge.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdphuff.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdpostct.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jdsample.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jerror.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jidctflt.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jidctfst.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jidctint.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jidctred.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jmemmgr.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jmemnobs.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jquant1.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jquant2.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libjpeg.lib(jutils.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libogg.lib(bitwise.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libogg.lib(framing.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(analysis.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(bitrate.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(block.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(codebook.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(envelope.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(floor0.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(floor1.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(info.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(lpc.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(lsp.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(mapping0.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(mdct.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(psy.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(registry.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(res0.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(sharedbook.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(smallft.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(synthesis.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbis.lib(window.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>libvorbisfile.lib(vorbisfile.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'c:\wme\src\wme\release\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
3>Embedding manifest...
3>.\res\manifest.xml : manifest authoring warning 81010002: Unrecognized Element "requestedPrivileges" in namespace "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2".

I don't get the manifest warning with 2008 & 2019 but otherwise the warnings look to be about the same.  I'm not sure if the problem has anything to do with the warnings or if I have something else wrong.

Thanks.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »

These warning are harmless, as far as I can tell. Now you need to point the engine to some project, as described in this post: http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3404.msg20932#msg20932

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:17 PM »

I don't completely understand but here is what I think.
I see that wme.exe doesn't really run by itself.  When I run a game.wpr, it is coming up in WME Project Manager.  If I compile the sources, I need to point to a .wpr file.  Is that correct?

I'm looking at what you said in the other post:
"Hm, not really. You need to set the path to your project in Project Settings->Debugging->Command line arguments. Enter something like:

Code: [Select]
-project "path\to\your\project.wpr"

Then just click "Run with debugging". What problem exactly you're having?"

So ...  in Visual Studio 2008, I went to Project-Properties-Debugging-command arguments and put in "-project "projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr".  $(TargetPath) is under Command.  "projects\wme_demo\wme_demo.wpr" is inside the debug directory with wme.exe. 

Everything compiles ok but when I try to run the program, it says "Unable to start program "c:\Engines\wme_src_191_2\src\debug\wme.exe"   This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Review the manifest file for possible errors.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.  For more details, please see the application event log."

Am I on the right track or am I completely misunderstanding what should happen?  Do I need to add a game to the project?  How should things work without Project Manager?

Thanks again.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Hey there.

May I ask why you are compiling WME? Did you make any changes do the Sourcecode, or do you want to make any changes?

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »

Hey there.

May I ask why you are compiling WME? Did you make any changes do the Sourcecode, or do you want to make any changes?

I used WME for a short project that I was doing for a class I was taking.  The ability to use 3d models with 2d backgrounds is perfect for what I want to do.  I am creating an application for teaching veterinary students but have limited resources and unfortunately, very little (actually zero) artistic talent.  So ... the project I did used 3d characters with photographs or screen shots used as backgrounds.  I'd like to use motion capture for some close up sequences but am not sure what I can do with WME.  I've only just started to learn the engine.  The problem is that WME is no longer being developed.  I know that WME2 is being developed but I don't know if there is anything that can be used yet.  Anyway, the short answer is that I may never make changes but I wanted to make sure that it was possible.  Also, I think I can learn how to use the engine better if I can understand and experiment with the code a bit.

I've looked at other engines (C4, TGE, Irrlicht, Ogre3D, and others) but I think Wintermute is the best fit.

So... you know what else I need to do to get WME to run after compiling the code?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.