Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: BIG FPS problems + loading time question  (Read 3959 times)

PeterSVK

• Lurker
    • View Profile
BIG FPS problems + loading time question
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »

Hi, I got another problem.I just start working on new adventure game and i have this problem.Whole game contains only 1scene [if MENU doesn't count] and an actor.And actor is, i think where the problem is. Actor can walk in 8 ways, like default. Walkcycle to every way has 21images .png in the size of 68,00KB[size of every].Every image is 500x600.So, i start the game, click on a new game and i have 8 scripts running, everything is fine, but when i click somewhere for actor to walk, the whole game became soooooo laggy.I start the game from packeges and from WME window too.Result is same.This FPS laggs occurs,i think, randomly when animation of actor starts.Sometimes it is not laggy and actor is walking normal, sometimes it is more laggy, sometimes less.But it occurs with cirka 70percent chance I think.so i Click somewhere and actor start to animate, whole game is verry laggy for cirka 5-15sec., then the animation is normal again.

Second question is about loading.What is loading at the start of the game and what is loading at the start of the scene ? My game is on the very start and has 25MB and is loading in my opinion too long.... is there any loadbar or load bar script so the gamer dont need to wait for load with black screen ?

PS: I dont have very good computer, but if loading depends on the size of game, when i will finish it, it ll be loading for ages...
PPS: Sorry for my english  :)
THX every1 who will reply
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:10:12 PM by PeterSVK »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: BIG FPS problems + loading time question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

The question is, do you *really* need 21 frames of 500x600 pixels? That's about 192MB of video memory for the actor alone (or possibly a lot more, if your video card requires power-of-2 textures).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

PeterSVK

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:17 PM »

I dont know [until know] if it is my fault or if it is normal.So now, how big is effect that has number,size of image[MB] and size of image[in pixels] on performance.If i better do smaller pictures or less pictures ?

but, THX anyway, you are right, i dont need that much  ::thumbup

EDIT: Now, i have only 11images and the animation look absolutly same  ;D i feel like an idiot  :o
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:29:56 PM by PeterSVK »

Higgins

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »

My "take" animation has 35 frames, so there's a 1 second pause before it's triggered.
I might need to lower the number of frames!

Another possible factor is that the frame around my actor is very large (something like 600x600).
If I tightened the frame around the character (like Molly, for example), would it solve the problem,
or is 35 frames definitely too much?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »

35 frames for a single "take" animation is an impressive overkill. Make it a lot lower or consider using a real time 3D character instead.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »

Another possible factor is that the frame around my actor is very large (something like 600x600).
If I tightened the frame around the character (like Molly, for example)
Video memory is a scarce resource, so you don't want to waste it on large empty areas. Whenever you can make an image smaller, or drop some extra animation frames, you do that.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

PeterSVK

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »

yes, i added some entities to my scene and it stars again, so i resized aaaaaall pictures and animations of my actor from 600x500 to something like 312x250 and its muuuch better again....

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.