Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Project Joe demo  (Read 20194 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Project Joe demo
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 09:03:15 AM »

Hmmm, I´ve got problems with the performance as well. For example the burning car animation was more like a slideshow. I think my coputer is not so bad (Celeron 1,7 Ghz,256 RAM,GForce4MX).The grafics is perfect, epecially the backgrounds are awesome but I really don¨t understant why is it so slooooow.

I'd guess it's the RAM size. 256MB requirement seems to be underestimated, because the game uses HUGE amounts of graphics, especially in the carfair scene, with all those bulbs blinking, flags floating etc. And once it starts swapping to disk, the framerate goes down the drain. I'll see what I can do about that on the engine side, because Joe's really pushing it to its limits.

btw I´ve found out that I´m losing the  sense of humor.I haven´t laughed or even smiled even once...too bad... :(

Too bad, you probably prefer a differend kind of humor. But....how can anyone *not* to love Crrrrrazy Bill? :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »

Guess it was worth getting that 512 MB!

The dialogue desperately tries to be funny, but it misses an edge.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 10:44:15 AM »

The dialogue desperately tries to be funny, but it misses an edge.

Hm, is it that easy to amuse me ? I liked it a lot the way it is. Humor still depends on personal taste though. :)
Mooh!

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 12:46:20 PM »

Humor still depends on personal taste though

Yeah, it does! I was smiling and laughing a lot playing this demo :)  I even like farting old norm ;D And its great how the animations do their job to be funny, too; the blur animation of crahahahazy bill, the "flying plane" of norm... i love it. :)

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »

It's been increasingly difficult to impress me in ANY way. I focus on the bad things in almost everything. ::thumbdown

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 06:30:26 PM »

I have finally managed to download it.  ;)

My Impressions so far (keep in mind that I haven't played it much yet).
-- If the creators intention was to impress from the beginning they have managed to do it! How the hell did they create that animated main menu? I have to try it someday. It's fantastic.
-- The backgrounds are one the best I have seen in a cartoon ag ever (ok, that was not a secret, I have seen some pictures in the past  ;)). They have much details and many animations. Great job!
-- The characters sometimes impress me and sometimes they seem boring. The Mafia guys for example can't stand a comparison with the other animated characters.
-- The speech is very good except main character's voice which sound very "static". As if everything the character  is saying has the same importance. A little more "color" here please. (Does this make sence in english?)
-- It has long dialogs which seem to contain a lot of informations. At least this is what looks like from this small demo. That makes the player not to get bored. (I personally love long dialogues - Discword 1 rules!)
-- The in-game menus are not what I was hoping for after I saw that lovely main menu. They are like the "standard" wme menus. I want animated in-game menus please...  ;D Oh... and don't forget that 6 save slots in one page are few for someone that keep very detailed savegames like me. It makes me to turn a lot of pages to find a specific savegame.

It's definetely seems promising. If the joe team don't manage to find a funder then maybe the adventure genre might loose a great cartoon game.

EDIT: I like the dialogs althought they didn't manage to impress me. But I guess that this is normal in a small demo when the player is missing critical background information.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 06:33:03 PM by odnorf »
fl*p
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.