Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Help for a beginner  (Read 3212 times)

Connway

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Tentative Name
Help for a beginner
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »

I'm new to the Wintermute Engine and have started a simple project to help me learn the basic functions. I have read some of the Wintermute Documentation, but not all of it.

I've encountered some problems with my project. As you can see from the below shots, the stick figure stops short of top wall and can go way too far down the bottom wall.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but I have set the hot spot to the bottom-right corner of the sprite images.

But, as you can see below, I cannot place the top of the head of my sprite outside any of the "floor" region.

Basically, I'd like the engine to block the actor from moving if the feet reach a certain point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Help for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:22:20 AM »

Are you sure the actor is actually using the correct sprite you've defined in SpriteEdit?

The position of your character's feet is indeed defined by the "hot spot" position within the sprite, so if the hotspot is placed at the bottom part of the sprite, it *should* work correctly. The behaviour you're getting would suggest the hotspot is at the top part of the character..
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Connway

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Tentative Name
Re: Help for a beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:35:49 PM »

Ah, thank you Mnemonic. You were right. I saved my Sprite in a different folder and forgot to import it into the actually project folder. Now it works fine.

Thanks again.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.