Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Problem with blocking areas  (Read 9374 times)

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
Problem with blocking areas
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:48:44 PM »

Hi there,
next question. In some scenes the no go areas work good. We had to combine the 3d geometry with the 2d blocking areas. That works normally fine, but sometimes the 3d actor walks trough the blocks without any notice. The other thing happens, that the actor stopped at the block, but after clicking two or three times he walks through. Is that a known mistake on our side, or a bug in WME?

Edit:

In scrolling scenes it is impossible for us to solve the problem...
Any hints we missed?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:08:38 PM by Amo »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Problem with blocking areas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 07:42:40 AM »

We had to combine the 3d geometry with the 2d blocking areas.
Just to be sure, you're talking about scenes where the "Use 2D pathfinding" option is enabled? And the actor is walking through the 2D blocked areas (i.e. the block regions)?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:02 AM »

I encountered that. It is IMO the very same problem as the weird turning. You can try the solution I posted here:

http://wiki.dead-code.org/wakka.php?wakka=CustomGoto

Also the walking through blocked regions appears if you put waypoints too close to the blocked regions so the actor finds the way correctly through waypoints but thanks to his/her size walks partly in block objects.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »

@Mnemonic: Yes we use both ways, the 3d geometry for lighting and blocking entities like big vents and pillars, in connection with the 2d walk region, because our actor did not react properly. Unfortunately he even doesn't react on the 2d areas, especially when the scene is scrolling. When the scene is scrolling, the 3d geometry seems to be useless, because it doesn't scroll with the rest. We tried to fix it, with making the blockings bigger, but that doesn't help.
It is possible to switch between 2d and 3d? Where?

@metamorphium: Thanks for that, OK the behaviour of our actor is not really the same. The point is, that he sometimes runs straight through the blockings, when clicking behind him. E.g. we have vent on the roof. This vent is a blocked area, but the roof is longer, the vent is right in the middle, so the actor can walk behind. Unfortunately he goes the direct way - through the vent.
We try your code maybe it helps sometimes is the behaviour different, but the cause the same.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »

In SceneEdit, on the 3D tab, there's a checkbox, something like "Use 2D elements for pathfinding". You can NOT combine 3D and 2D pathfinding in a single scene, so I suppose you didn't use 2D blocked regions so far. Try it, it might solve your problems, I hope.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »

The 2d pathfinding is deactivated. Interesting is, that it works only in connection with the 2d thing properly, even when it is deactivated. Strange... Nevertheless we have still the problem with the scrolling scenes. The 3d block does not work here right. I post again, when we tried metamorphiums code and used the complete 2d waypathing in the scrolling scene.

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »

Another nasty looking thing is, that sometimes the foreground regions seem to react to slow. For example. The cam position is on feet height of the actor and about 5 meters away from a wall. The actor walks behind the wall. The wall is defined as an entity object, and as foreground. The actors walks behind, but when he arrives the scene, he shortly looks through the foreground, than he gets "beamed" behind, walks his way and stops as we want it. Everything is nice. Except the "looking through" problem. Any hints for me?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

It's hard to imagine what exactly you mean. Sometimes a picture (or even better a small demo) is worth a thousand words.

Amo

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise The Game
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 05:22:44 PM »

Thank you, hopefully you can understand, that we can't post it here.
Give me your OK, and I'll send it to your E-Mail Addy.

I guess it is time to say again, that WME really rocks and we are still impressed about the features it provides and we are impressed about the great help we receive from this forum.
(Hm... I cannot say it often enough)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 05:35:08 PM »

Ok, send it in, please.

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »

Hey,
I've got a pretty similar problem:

I've got a prerendered 3D scene and some "working" geometry. By working I mean it's displayed in the Scene Editor and in-game. I have some objects in the 3d geometry that are called blk_putnamehere according to the WME convention. I also have a camera and a floor with walk_putnamehere. The floor works fine but the blk_ objects don't do their job! They don't block the 3D actor. I saw that in the 3D techdemos there are wpt_ blocks aswell, so I wanted to make sure that it's because of those that it's not working. I imported the official 3D Techdemo .3ds geometry file and deleted the wpt_ objects and reexported it. The blk_ objects still seemed to do their job there. I don't get what I'm doing wrong...Do I really need those wpt_ objects?

I woudn't like to use 2D blocking areas if possible.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:15:15 PM by Serious.Ray »

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »

Anyone experienced this problem? Were you able to solve it?
Here you can see an ingame screenshot. Gman there is just for testing purposes ;).

Since I need those objects for shadows I would like to avoid 2D pathfinding since it means double work on each scene.
The project size is 1920x1200, the picture and the game size setting in 3D settings aswell. I ran it in windowed mode.
I also created a .geometry file with the same name as the .3ds file to make sure the objects are interpreted correctly.
It looks like this:
Code: [Select]
GEOMETRY
{
  NODE
  {
    NAME = "walk_*"
    WALKPLANE = TRUE
    RECEIVE_SHADOWS = TRUE
  }

NODE
  {
    NAME = "blk_*"
    BLOCKED = TRUE
  }

NODE
  {
    NAME = "wpt_*"
    WAYPOINT = TRUE
  }
}
Those are the scene files:
You may not redistribute the following files in any way. All copyright belongs to the various contributors of Crowbar Solutions (our group).
There are 2 options to get the files:

1. Zipped files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?aobk8k7pz5tv7oe

2. Separated files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?csakyeuaovzccgc
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t9g54sg2bmfau1l
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dayy12dt6ypf9qw
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?53r95dgdi3sqvwm
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?axrciy641oewgg7
An actor scale of around 2.0-2.5 should be ok.
If you need more info please ask.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:25:51 PM by Serious.Ray »

piere

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • Sorry for any bad english in my posts. Game on !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »

Hey serious Ray, Can you post the project? Would help if the actor is in there and such to see whats going on

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »

Actually you can use the 3D techdemo project and paste the files in a new folder called e.g. "park" in X:\Program Files\WME DevKit\projects\wme_demo_3d\data\scenes\. Change the avatar scale in the act3d file to 2.5 and there you go. We have no custom character just yet and the only thing I changed at this project is, that I added basic scripts for objects and added some text. I didn't go any further yet because I saw it as important to check out how the engine works and what is possible first, at least the basics.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:51:25 PM by Serious.Ray »

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:22 AM »

Sorry for bumping, but doesn't anyone solution find a the error? I don't get where the problem is...Might it be related to the camera? I had to override the 3ds intern FOV setting but that shouldn't keep it from working, right?

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.