Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Evolution  (Read 17425 times)

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Re:The Evolution
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 10:10:12 PM »

Well, I'm using MyIE2, and I'm so much used to it that I don't think I could ever change... Mouse gesture recognition is the best thing mankind could ever create!!  ;D
Anyway, the bookmarks system is pretty much the same than the one in IE6

Click here to sign my sig!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 08:47:19 AM »

On the other hand, there's the Mono project...
Oh.... good! :) I didn't know about it. How exactly this is working? Does a piece of code in c# has to be changed a lot to compiled under linux? Or c# works like Java (that any standard-compliant code can run on any os that has the Java runtime environment).
Yeah, it's quite similar to Java. The program is compiled to a bytecode, which is platform independent. The .NET exe's and dll's only contain this bytecode. Before the progrsam is launched on a given platform, it's first compiled to the machine's native code and then execuded (this is different from Java, because Java is interpreted, hence slower). So, in theory, you can use the exe compiled under Windows and run it on a different platform. And as far as I know the Mono runtime does this on Linux and other free OSes. Of course, for this to work, the program must not use platform dependent calls, such as calling native DLL functions or COM objects. Also, the .NET framework library needs to be ported to the given platform (or at least some parts of it, because it's really HUGE and some parts are patented by Microsoft).

And I just love the C# language ;)
Does it really has so many good features for a windows-programmer?
It has nothing to do with Windows, it's a fully featured programming language. It builds on C++, but many things have been changed to allow for safer programming and better convenience.
Ok, the downside is it's closely tied to the .NET platform.

EDIT2: Just because I am really curious : Is wme interprenter (and NOT the tools) uses A LOT of windows-specific-code (except the DirectX ofcourse)?
Not really. Of course, the renderer and the texture and sound managers rely on DirectX, but they are strictly divided from the rest of the engine. Also the main loop is totally windows dependent. And there are some small things used everywhere, such as Windows functions for working with rectangles, but those could be changed easily.
Of course, the tools are totally non-portable :)

EDIT3: If you think that I am asking to many questions about wme, please say so :)
Not a prob, ask away :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 09:10:50 AM »

Not really. Of course, the renderer and the texture and sound managers rely on DirectX, but they are strictly divided from the rest of the engine. Also the main loop is totally windows dependent. And there are some small things used everywhere, such as Windows functions for working with rectangles, but those could be changed easily.

This is cool! So, if some day (in 2-3-4-5 years, I understand that you don't even thing about it now, which is ok) you wake up and decide to create a linux interprenter then the main thing that you would have to change is DirectX code with SDL code?

Of course, the tools are totally non-portable

Ofcourse. That's why I ask ONLY for the interprenter :).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 09:16:02 AM by odnorf »
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 09:13:21 AM »

Well, I'm using MyIE2, and I'm so much used to it that I don't think I could ever change... Mouse gesture recognition is the best thing mankind could ever create!!  ;D
Anyway, the bookmarks system is pretty much the same than the one in IE6

Mouse gestures working in Mozilla too! :)
And the bookmarks system looks alike (with dirs & subdirs etc) but the manager to handle them is TOTALLY different, and much better than the one IE is using.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 05:26:41 PM »

This is cool! So, if some day (in 2-3-4-5 years, I understand that you don't even thing about it now, which is ok) you wake up and decide to create a linux interprenter then the main thing that you would have to change is DirectX code with SDL code?
Yes, at least I hope so :) Although I was thinking rather about OpenGL.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 05:26:56 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2003, 06:49:03 PM »

Yes, at least I hope so :) Although I was thinking rather about OpenGL.

I was talking about OpenGL. The SDL library supports OpenGL acceleration. I think that it would be difficult to do something like that without the SDL library or any other library with the same capabilities.
fl*p
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.